GDT: Free Agent/Trade Extravaganza 2017: The Shattening II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Losing Bennett bothers me but it's whatever. I'm more annoyed we traded a third round pick in the 2016 draft only to let him leave a year later. That's poor asset management.

I bet Bennett asked to not be qualified so we can go elsewhere though so he's not jerked around the press box and actually playing.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I mean, maybe they're opening a spot for Speers on the pro team, or Mikey may slot in on RW his rookie year. Hischier too.

Out of camp, you likely have Hischier, McLeod, Speers, and Bastian, who can all play RW, and may battle for a spot. Do I think it's likely? Maybe for Hischier/McLeod, but Speers/Bastian are probably set for Bingo.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Speaks volumes when the GM who drafted you and then again traded for you, doesn't want to keep you around on a minimum deal.

Don't get the hullabaloo over Bennett. Concerned about the RW situation but let's see how July plays out.

Also people need to pipe down on posting nonsense from Todd Cordell.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
We lost Beau Bennett, oh my god, we're screwed!

:laugh:

Crying over the signing of Boyle and the departure of Bennett is just, well, laughable.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Losing Bennett bothers me but it's whatever. I'm more annoyed we traded a third round pick in the 2016 draft only to let him leave a year later. That's poor asset management.

I bet Bennett asked to not be qualified so we can go elsewhere though so he's not jerked around the press box and actually playing.

How often was Bennett 'jerked around' last year? He played 65 games and missed some due to injury. If he and his .25 PPG with only one plus attribute (speed) thinks he should be handed an everyday lineup spot then good riddance.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I mean, maybe they're opening a spot for Speers on the pro team, or Mikey may slot in on RW his rookie year. Hischier too.

Out of camp, you likely have Hischier, McLeod, Speers, and Bastian, who can all play RW, and may battle for a spot. Do I think it's likely? Maybe for Hischier/McLeod, but Speers/Bastian are probably set for Bingo.

There is no way Bastian is in the NHL this season. He didn't even look that great in Miss. He definitely goes to Bingo, while I wouldnt be surprised if Speers is with Jersey

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
We lost Beau Bennett, oh my god, we're screwed!

:laugh:

Crying over the signing of Boyle and the departure of Bennett is just, well, laughable.
I'm not concerned about losing Bennett necessarily, what worries me more is the now serious lack of depth we have on the right wing. I don't want to push young players into roster spots out of necessity rather than preparation.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
I imagine there is a reason they let Beau walk.

Well it better be a good one. Because again, we have bottom possession numbers in the league. Bennett was our best possession forward. Even if you think possession means nothing, there's never been a team with bottom 5-10 possession numbers win anything. So this doesn't make any sense.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Well he stayed on the ice for most of this year. And it's not like he got a lot from St. Louis where it would have been risky to bring him back. Again, I'm more concerned with the bigger picture here. It shows the Devils don't care about analytics and wasted an asset which is troubling to me. Obviously Beau Bennett isn't this top tier player. He's still one of the best 3rd line RWs in the league. And with our glaring weakness at the position and with an inability to garner any type of possession, it makes no sense for Shero to let him walk for nothing.

Apparently no one in the NHL thought he was very good since he signed a 1 year deal for 650K.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well it better be a good one. Because again, we have bottom possession numbers in the league. Bennett was our best possession forward. Even if you think possession means nothing, there's never been a team with bottom 5-10 possession numbers win anything. So this doesn't make any sense.

Kind of shows you how useless Beau was if he his possession numbers were so good but didn't move the needle for the team in any area.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
How often was Bennett 'jerked around' last year? He played 65 games and missed some due to injury. If he and his .25 PPG with only one plus attribute (speed) thinks he should have an everyday lineup spot then good riddance.

lol, this is just wrong.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It's also not that I think Bennett is some great player, but Shero went out of his way to trade for him last year only to cut him loose now. It was either a bad trade at the time, or a bad move to let him go now.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
If Kings can get 40pts out of Cammalleri which may not be too unreasonable, very nice signing for them low risk high reward.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's also not that I think Bennett is some great player, but Shero went out of his way to trade for him last year only to cut him loose now. It was either a bad trade at the time, or a bad move to let him go now.

Bad trade. Imagine he hoped a fresh change of scenery would help him, but it didn't really.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The NHL is wrong about a lot of players and Bennett is one of them. Now he's a tricky player because he doesn't fit in with what people think about a 4th line and he doesn't kill penalties and he's not good on the power play. So he's an ES only player who plays LW and RW and will probably only be a top 9 forward. But within that framework he's good and worth a lot more than $650K. Worse players will be signed for a lot more.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Kind of shows you how useless Beau was if he his possession numbers were so good but didn't move the needle for the team in any area.

And it's not like there aren't teams that subscribe to analytics. Heck we're supposedly one of them. But eventually you have to produce otherwise the analytics are just filler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad