2025 1st (FLA)

To St. Louis:

Tkachuk (signed at 9m)
Samoskevich

To FLA:

Tarasenko
Zadorov (50%)
2023 3rd (CGY)

I think we would still be 800k over cap. Could do without the Zadorov part, just figured we would need a D back if giving up Weegar.
So... we give up Hornqvist, Weegar, Duclair, Samoskevich, and a 1st, and we aren't even the team that gets tkachuk? This must be a troll lmao

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I'm bored.

To Calgary:

Hornqvist
Duclair
Weegar
Kyrou
2023 1st (STL)
2024 2nd (STL)
2025 1st (FLA)

To St. Louis:

Tkachuk (signed at 9m)
Samoskevich

To FLA:

Tarasenko
Zadorov (50%)
2023 3rd (CGY)

I think we would still be 800k over cap. Could do without the Zadorov part, just figured we would need a D back if giving up Weegar.

It's a fantasy trade, so I get that, but...What's the point here? to get Tarasenko for one year? I don't get it. Pretty sure I'd rather have Weegar/Horny for a year and our 2025 1st instead of Tarasenko...

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
So... we give up Hornqvist, Weegar, Duclair, Samoskevich, and a 1st, and we aren't even the team that gets tkachuk? This must be a troll lmao

We can't afford Tkachuk without dumping even more cap. His QO is 9m

Hornqvist has negative value. Duclair has minimal value. Weegar is a UFA in 1 year

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
We can't afford Tkachuk without dumping even more cap. His QO is 9m

Hornqvist has negative value. Duclair has minimal value. Weegar is a UFA in 1 year

There are absolutely ways to make it work. Let's put it this way, Tkachuk to me would be worth the four first rounders if we signed him as an RFA, so I'd be willing to trade a lot of futures on him.

Theoretically, Huberdeau plus any other cap dumps can do it, so the cap isn't the problem because you'd have to send something like a Huberdeau (or the equivalent futures) plus more the other way anyways.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
There are absolutely ways to make it work. Let's put it this way, Tkachuk to me would be worth the four first rounders if we signed him as an RFA, so I'd be willing to trade a lot of futures on him.

Theoretically, Huberdeau plus any other cap dumps can do it, so the cap isn't the problem because you'd have to send something like a Huberdeau (or the equivalent futures) plus more the other way anyways.

That's assuming any team is willing to take on an unsigned Huberdeau, especially Calgary which is bleeding players right now because no one wants to play there.

Having Huberdeau and Tarasenko both extends our window for a little longer. I doubt either of them would be unwilling to sign long term in tax-friendly Florida.

We would get weaker on D though, I won't deny that. This is just for funsies.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
That's assuming any team is willing to take on an unsigned Huberdeau, especially Calgary which is bleeding players right now because no one wants to play there.

Having Huberdeau and Tarasenko both extends our window for a little longer. I doubt either of them would be unwilling to sign long term in tax-friendly Florida.

We would get weaker on D though, I won't deny that. This is just for funsies.

I thought we were just talking hypotheticals here. If we're talking realistic outcomes, Huberdeau is likely retiring as a Panther when he's 38 and his 8-year monster contract (which I think we eventually regret) is done.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
I'm bored.

To Calgary:

Hornqvist
Duclair
Weegar
Kyrou
2023 1st (STL)
2024 2nd (STL)
2025 1st (FLA)

To St. Louis:

Tkachuk (signed at 9m)
Samoskevich

To FLA:

Tarasenko
Zadorov (50%)
2023 3rd (CGY)

🤦🏻‍♂️

m0rkoli

Jan 3, 2019
1658442867158.png
1658442898081.png

I lIke Laines practise jersey... looks good on him :D

Attachments

• 1658442891455.png
    1658442891455.png
    290.9 KB · Views: 7

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
You just mentioned all the options yourself... They are all clearly better than Bruno, no questioning that.

But is a mediocre coach enough for us? We do still have a good roster. I am just questioning Maurice as the right choice. What would DeBoer do today with our much better roster and much more experience? I agree that Torts would be too much of a gamble, but he could be the guy that gets the best of our roster.

Maurice seems such a "safe" choice. They really trust the roster to continue to be as good as last year and to develop. IMO they could have gone the high risk-high reward path. Nevertheless I wish Maurice all the best and lead us to the Kwan
The coaching carousel is now complete for 2023. New coaches are Maurice, Torts, Luke Richardson, Bowness, DeBoer, Lalonde, Lambert, Cassidy, Quinn

The only 2 names that are better than Maurice on this list are Cassidy (who was hired before Zito decided what to do) and imo Jim Montgomery but I get wanting to avoid him with his past issues. I think he's a top 15 coach but even if you think he's 20th or 22nd, he's replacing a dude who's not even NHL caliber at this point so they upgraded by default.

I respectfully don't agree with your DeBoer assessment either, he's a dinosaur that hasn't won shit much like Maurice, but he's had significantly better teams.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Huby + Montour

The best option. Nuff said.
Reinhart and montour. Huberdeau will be 30 when the new contract kicks in and wouldn’t realistically re-sign there and only has this year under contract. Reinhart is 26 and has 2yrs left on his deal and moves out salary at least. That’d be 10mil going out and makes room for a tkachuk extension. Calgary would hold out for Lundell though as they’d prefer a younger and cost controlled/contract contract player who they wouldn’t have to worry about walking in a year or two. Only way we could maybe do it is if we brought in a 3rd team, having them send young assets and picks to Calgary in exchange for our more proven guys like Huberdeau or Reinhart

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
The coaching carousel is now complete for 2023. New coaches are Maurice, Torts, Luke Richardson, Bowness, DeBoer, Lalonde, Lambert, Cassidy, Quinn

The only 2 names that are better than Maurice on this list are Cassidy (who was hired before Zito decided what to do) and imo Jim Montgomery but I get wanting to avoid him with his past issues. I think he's a top 15 coach but even if you think he's 20th or 22nd, he's replacing a dude who's not even NHL caliber at this point so they upgraded by default.

I respectfully don't agree with your DeBoer assessment either, he's a dinosaur that hasn't won shit much like Maurice, but he's had significantly better teams.
To be honest: there might still be a lot of frustration in me that we lost Q - who would be without a doubt the best coach on your list - and with Bruno not able to replace him remotely.

I agree with you on Cassidy and Montgomery, I'd add Torts (hate the guy, still a successful coach). But the margin to PM is not that huge. Don't agree on DeBoer though. To take such a no-name roster to the SC finals cannot be only put on the hype train factor. Feels like the Jalonen winning it all without a single NHL player - who you left off of your list and I would have gladly be willing to take a gamble on.

I am ok with PM for now, and I won't look back at missed opportunities in case he won't work out

Reactions: harv33173

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA

:laugh:

he's 54 and has taken TWO underdogs to the final and twice been to the conf finals in his 14-year NHL coaching career. ~30% getting to conf finals or deeper. consider that 6+ years of that career were wasted with pretty lousy teams in NJ and FLA and it's even more impressive.

he's never had great teams (early SJ maybe the best but even those teams couldn't break the 100 pt barrier) but has consistently gotten solid performance from his teams and has always landed in good orgs immediately after losing a job. note that he's been hired to coach progressively better teams over his career (perhaps until DAL). unfortunate that he had to deal with all the injuries last year with VGK.

he's a very good NHL coach. i think maurice is a good coach too. fans are so dismissive of coaches. i think they lack an appreciation for how difficult it is to consistently win in this league and how much has to go right to win a cup. there are so many factors outside a coach's direct control that can affect a playoff run. you simply cannot judge a coach based on that criterion alone.

Reactions: ShootIt

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Lol at calling DeBoer a dinosaur but then being excited for Maurice. :laugh::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad