Votes: 2 3.1%
  • No one

Votes: 28 43.1%

• Total voters

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Last NameCap HitMinors?PositionTakes Face-offs?
Barkov10.000Needs WaiversCYes
Reinhart6.500Needs WaiversRWYes
Huberdeau5.900Needs WaiversLWNo
Hornqvist5.300Needs WaiversRWNo
Bennett4.430Needs WaiversCYes
Verhaeghe4.160Needs WaiversLWNo
Duclair3.500Needs WaiversLW / RWNo
Luostarinen1.500Needs WaiversCYes
White1.200Needs WaiversRWYes
Cousins1.100Needs WaiversLWYes
Denisenko0.925ExemptLW / RWNo
Lundell0.925ExemptCYes
Levtchi0.842ExemptLWNo
Lomberg0.800Needs WaiversLW / RWNo
Balcers0.750Needs WaiversLW / RWNo
Heponiemi0.750Needs WaiversLW / RWNo
Mayhew0.750Needs WaiversRWNo
Staal0.750Needs WaiversCYes
Tierney0.750Needs WaiversCYes

The above are our 19 forwards of interest (as I see it).
Duclair is on LTIR.
Denisenko and Levtchi are exempt from waivers and will start in the AHL.
Everybody with a cap hit above $1.05m will carry a cap penalty even if they did clear waivers.
Lundell is on an ELC, but obviously he's not competing for a spot.
If we didn't waive Thornton, then we aren't waiving Staal.

That leaves us with 11 guarantees and 3 spots remaining for 5 guys.

Lomberg, Balcers, Heponiemi, Mayhew, and Tierney.

I could see any of these guys being claimed on waivers, but Tierney and Mayhew are my picks to be dropped.
Great summary list.

I really don’t see how Lomberg will lose his spot on the fourth line… and BTW it’s crazy how he’s basically paid the same as the 750k crowd… although Balcers and Hepo may end up more than earning their pay.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
We literally had a tomato can as a coach and people think Maurice isn’t going to help. Lol
Oh he has it to help. But not get us to the top. Q had it. There were other guys out there that have it. I am hoping he proves me wrong. But he is still far away from being the coach our team needs to go all the way

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Lol. When we're not doing as well as expected, you'll be one of the first ones going after him.

I think the fact no team hired Brunette even though he interviewed and had to settle for an "associate coaching" position in New Jersey kind of shows the sentiment the league had for Bruno.

He got no credit for the President's trophy and a lot of the blame for the sweep and the 1/30 Power Play.

He simply wasn't ready to be the main guy

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Lol. When we're not doing as well as expected, you'll be one of the first ones going after him.
I don’t think Paul Maurice is some world beater. But he’s sure as hell better than Brunette. You don’t even like Q but like brunette so oh well.

Oh he has it to help. But not get us to the top. Q had it. There were other guys out there that have it. I am hoping he proves me wrong. But he is still far away from being the coach our team needs to go all the way
Everyone doesn’t have it until they do. We just need our coaching to not be a net negative. Cooper was a nobody for years. Then he finally won, now he’s regarded as great. That’s how it goes.

A different looking PP and PK is enough for me right now.
I prefer 1/30 because I like to complain about my coaches.

Reactions: Gizmo Tkachuk

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Last NameCap HitMinors?PositionTakes Face-offs?
Barkov10.000Needs WaiversCYes
Reinhart6.500Needs WaiversRWYes
Huberdeau5.900Needs WaiversLWNo
Hornqvist5.300Needs WaiversRWNo
Bennett4.430Needs WaiversCYes
Verhaeghe4.160Needs WaiversLWNo
Duclair3.500Needs WaiversLW / RWNo
Luostarinen1.500Needs WaiversCYes
White1.200Needs WaiversRWYes
Cousins1.100Needs WaiversLWYes
Denisenko0.925ExemptLW / RWNo
Lundell0.925ExemptCYes
Levtchi0.842ExemptLWNo
Lomberg0.800Needs WaiversLW / RWNo
Balcers0.750Needs WaiversLW / RWNo
Heponiemi0.750Needs WaiversLW / RWNo
Mayhew0.750Needs WaiversRWNo
Staal0.750Needs WaiversCYes
Tierney0.750Needs WaiversCYes

The above are our 19 forwards of interest (as I see it).
Duclair is on LTIR.
Denisenko and Levtchi are exempt from waivers and will start in the AHL.
Everybody with a cap hit above $1.05m will carry a cap penalty even if they did clear waivers.
Lundell is on an ELC, but obviously he's not competing for a spot.
If we didn't waive Thornton, then we aren't waiving Staal.

That leaves us with 11 guarantees and 3 spots remaining for 5 guys.

Lomberg, Balcers, Heponiemi, Mayhew, and Tierney.

I could see any of these guys being claimed on waivers, but Tierney and Mayhew are my picks to be dropped.
I see Lomberg as a lock and assuming it is there's 1 spot for 13th forward, team is going to carry 7 dmen. You've also given Eric Staal a contract when he's on a PTO. Personally I doubt he makes the team.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I think the fact no team hired Brunette even though he interviewed and had to settle for an "associate coaching" position in New Jersey kind of shows the sentiment the league had for Bruno.

He got no credit for the President's trophy and a lot of the blame for the sweep and the 1/30 Power Play.

He simply wasn't ready to be the main guy
If anybody needs “proof” about Bruno, this is about as convincing it gets, and it’s not a fan’s opinion who hates Bruno for losing. When it was time to put money down and take a chance, nobody did.

Reactions: Gentle Man

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008
cut.jpg
That is one of the most punchable faces ever!!

Reactions: Jean Luc Discard

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I see Lomberg as a lock and assuming it is there's 1 spot for 13th forward, team is going to carry 7 dmen. You've also given Eric Staal a contract when he's on a PTO. Personally I doubt he makes the team.
I'm sure Lomberg is on the team too, but, unlike Cousins and White, his cap hit is small enough that he can be buried in the minors. From a GMing perspective, I think he's more likely to go than the former two.

Agree on 13F, 7D. And that means you have to put an extra one of those guys on the chopping block. Honestly, Lomberg would be my pick between he, Hippo, and Balcers.

Staal will make the team if he wants to play again.
- Zito clearly values old guys with HHOF resumes
- In 2019-20, Staal had 47 points in 66 games
- In 2020-21, it was public knowledge how livid Staal was about being traded to Buffalo. He didn't want to be there, the season was a disaster for the whole franchise, he was then traded to Montreal but had to go through a lengthy quarantine period and all the BS that came with that in Canada, and he still managed to put up 8 points in 21 playoff games as Montreal's 4C.
- In 2021-22, he had 5 points in 4 AHL games and 4 points in 5 Olympic games

Reactions: harv33173

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Does anybody have an idea of how it's going to work when Duclair gets back? He's supposed to return midseason. As I understand it, if you have a player on LTIR, you can't accumulate extra cap credit. I.e., we can't build up that extra Trade Deadline Cap Space that most teams have in spring.

So when Duclair gets back, we'll have to make room for however much is left on his $3m. Where is that going to come from? I guess they're just planning to dump a guy or two a la Vatrano?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Does anybody have an idea of how it's going to work when Duclair gets back? He's supposed to return midseason. As I understand it, if you have a player on LTIR, you can't accumulate extra cap credit. I.e., we can't build up that extra Trade Deadline Cap Space that most teams have in spring.

So when Duclair gets back, we'll have to make room for however much is left on his $3m. Where is that going to come from? I guess they're just planning to dump a guy or two a la Vatrano?
I'm guessing we have a handshake agreement with Horny to LTIR him

Reactions: harv33173

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

My understanding is that his days in a Cats jersey are over when they signed new guys and went up to the brim in cap expenditure. If we're lucky, Zito gets a 1st round pick for him... if we're unlucky then it's like a 2nd round pick + mid-late round pick. GMs will be very cautious about trading for a guy who's coming off from the sickbay after sustaining a significant injury.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Oh look the Barkov injured excuse is coming out again. :laugh:

And Maurice is not going to be an X factor. Such a meh hiring. Surprised so many are so optimistic about him. Must be the offseason! haha
At this point, it's either Barkov is so fragile he's always hurt for the playoffs, or you have to acknowledge that at least some of his playoff performances have been meh.
I mean, he has scored 4 goals in the last 20 playoff games. From an elite 1C, team captain and a guy who was on pace for 40 goals last year and 47 this year, I'd expect a lot more.

Reactions: I am not exposed

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We literally had a tomato can as a coach and people think Maurice isn’t going to help. Lol

I mean look at the state he left Winnipeg?

Underachieving team with multiple issues.
Including top guys not playing any defense and not bothering to coach some of the players.

Zito somehow needs to figure out how to upgrade that defense.
East is looking even better than last year

Reactions: I am not exposed

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
My understanding is that his days in a Cats jersey are over when they signed new guys and went up to the brim in cap expenditure. If we're lucky, Zito gets a 1st round pick for him... if we're unlucky then it's like a 2nd round pick + mid-late round pick. GMs will be very cautious about trading for a guy who's coming off from the sickbay after sustaining a significant injury.
I agree, I don't think Horny is the type of player who is willingly going to sit out, and even if he was, why would anyone want Duclair back in, he's been useless in the playoffs 2 years straight. And Florida needs as much cap space as possible next year.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I mean look at the state he left Winnipeg?

Underachieving team with multiple issues.
Including top guys not playing any defense and not bothering to coach some of the players.

Zito somehow needs to figure out how to upgrade that defense.
East is looking even better than last year
Well judging by their record, it’s not like the Jets took off when he left. But who knows, he may or may not work out here.

PM certainly says the right things but words and actions are different so we’ll see how it goes.

-ghoste

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Everyone doesn’t have it until they do. We just need our coaching to not be a net negative. Cooper was a nobody for years. Then he finally won, now he’s regarded as great. That’s how it goes.
Maurice does not have it for several years. There were better options that are further along or actually do have it. Hence my pessimism about why now we should be the right team for him or him being the right coach for us

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
Maurice does not have it for several years. There were better options that are further along or actually do have it. Hence my pessimism about why now we should be the right team for him or him being the right coach for us
Like who? Cassidy was hired immediately by Vegas. Trotz is taking the next 2 years off and when Bowness retires, taking over in Winnipeg. Round 2 of DeBoer? Torts? No thanks. He was the 2nd best coach available. Even a middle of the road coach is better than Brunette.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Well judging by their record, it’s not like the Jets took off when he left. But who knows, he may or may not work out here.

PM certainly says the right things but words and actions are different so we’ll see how it goes.

-ghoste

That's kind of what worries me the most.

The best thing anyone can say about him is that he says the right things, but that means nothing. It doesn't matter what he says, he can go around claiming he's the reincarnation of a 13th century chicken for all I care; the only thing that matters is how the team actually plays, and given his record I'm just not seeing a reason to be overly hopeful with him as coach.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Like who? Cassidy was hired immediately by Vegas. Trotz is taking the next 2 years off and when Bowness retires, taking over in Winnipeg. Round 2 of DeBoer? Torts? No thanks. He was the 2nd best coach available. Even a middle of the road coach is better than Brunette.
You just mentioned all the options yourself... They are all clearly better than Bruno, no questioning that.

But is a mediocre coach enough for us? We do still have a good roster. I am just questioning Maurice as the right choice. What would DeBoer do today with our much better roster and much more experience? I agree that Torts would be too much of a gamble, but he could be the guy that gets the best of our roster.

Maurice seems such a "safe" choice. They really trust the roster to continue to be as good as last year and to develop. IMO they could have gone the high risk-high reward path. Nevertheless I wish Maurice all the best and lead us to the Kwan

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I'm bored.

To Calgary:

Hornqvist
Duclair
Weegar
Kyrou
2023 1st (STL)
2024 2nd (STL)
2025 1st (FLA)

To St. Louis:

Tkachuk (signed at 9m)
Samoskevich

To FLA:

Tarasenko
Zadorov (50%)
2023 3rd (CGY)

I think we would still be 800k over cap. Could do without the Zadorov part, just figured we would need a D back if giving up Weegar.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I'm bored.

To Calgary:

Hornqvist
Duclair
Weegar
Kyrou
2023 1st (STL)
2024 2nd (STL)
2025 1st (FLA)

To St. Louis:

Tkachuk (signed at 9m)
Samoskevich

To FLA:

Tarasenko
Zadorov (50%)
2023 3rd (CGY)

I think we would still be 800k over cap. Could do without the Zadorov part, just figured we would need a D back if giving up Weegar.

why are trying to destroy the panthers?

that trade weakens the current roster significantly and you give away another first plus sammie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad