Speculation: Free Agent FRENZY! Part IV Trade and proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Even if Lupul gets hurt, we have the depth to at least move a suitable replacement up, even if that person doesnt score as much as Lupul...

JVR-Bozak-Kessel,
Kulemin-Kadri-Clarkson

Still does not look that horrendous, even though it certainly not optimal. We would have killed for this a couple seasons ago, and now its our back up plan.

And if Bozak is playing poorly, then I think at some point we have the option to move Colborne up for a stint as well. Options :)...

Why do we think Bozak is going to play poorly?

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
I dont, I am simply saying that a lot of people believe we have no options but IMO we do between Bolland and Colborne.

I don't think you'll be seeing Bolland or Colbourne on the top line anytime soon.

Bozak will do fine; he'll have a good year with his typical (good) production yet still get grilled out for "not being a true No1 C".

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Bozak on the first line makes gives us 2 threatening scoring lines
I like it
Lupul- Kadri was pretty good last year
JVR and Kessel have crazy amounts of skill, hopefully they can become less streaky

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Bozak on the first line makes gives us 2 threatening scoring lines
I like it
Lupul- Kadri was pretty good last year
JVR and Kessel have crazy amounts of skill, hopefully they can become less streaky

We've got an excellent top 6; I am very excited.

1. JVR-Bozak-Kessel
What can you say; it's got Kessel on it. A PPG+ sniper paired up with 2 50pt guys that have complimentary skillsets; on can drive the next and cash in, the other plays finesse 2-way game. No limit to the ways this line can beat you.

2. Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Lupul and Kadri did great together last year. Kadri seems to do good with guys like Lupul that are strong on their skates and with the puck to clean up and fight to free the puck (not that Kadri can't either). The addition of Clarkson just makes the line even harder to play against and makes them even more of a scoring threat.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
We've got an excellent top 6; I am very excited.

1. JVR-Bozak-Kessel
What can you say; it's got Kessel on it. A PPG+ sniper paired up with 2 50pt guys that have complimentary skillsets; on can drive the next and cash in, the other plays finesse 2-way game. No limit to the ways this line can beat you.

2. Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Lupul and Kadri did great together last year. Kadri seems to do good with guys like Lupul that are strong on their skates and with the puck to clean up and fight to free the puck (not that Kadri can't either). The addition of Clarkson just makes the line even harder to play against and makes them even more of a scoring threat.
If Kadri was able to score and do well with Orr on his line, imagine how well he can do with Clarkson.

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
Could the Ducks get in on Liles and help us out again?

With Souray down for 4-6 months and his ~$3.7Mil contract off the books until he returns, that gives the Ducks upward of $8 Mil in available cap space.

IMO its worth atleast to pickup the phone and call Anaheim to see if they are interested.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

With Souray down for 4-6 months and his ~$3.7Mil contract off the books until he returns, that gives the Ducks upward of $8 Mil in available cap space.

IMO its worth atleast to pickup the phone and call Anaheim to see if they are interested.

The Ducks have never been a team that spends to the cap. Making the playoffs is a full 82 game grind and losing Souray is a huge blow.

I wonder if insurance doesn't pay for Souray's contract (like Lombardi's wasn't picked up by insurance because of pre-existing condition)

If insurance doesn't pay for Souray a deal around Liles straight up for Souray who they really could use for the first 4-6 months of this season could make sense for both teams.

Liles helps the Ducks all season and makes about the same as Souray. Ducks get out from paying a player to not play for the majority of the season.

Leafs get the cap room they need for Franson/Kadri and can easily afford to have Souray sit on the sidelines till later in the season and he'll coming back just as we need him most down the stretch drive.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto

They just signed Fistric for 900k...

AlbertaLeafFan31

Feb 5, 2013
Would Franson to Anaheim be something. Souray and Franson play somewhat same game. Maybe Devante Smith Pelly and second? Then sign Kadri 2 year at 2.8 million per year. Then sign Hainsey/Gilbert at 1 million per year and then maybe Morrow/Raymond at one million per year. That would be our 4.8 million cap space.

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
They just signed Fistric for 900k...

ya...so what? bottom pairing signing at best.

Look at their D...their Top 6 is abysmal. Outside of any "internal salary cap" that they operate under and none of us know about, it seems like a pretty logical move for them to look for a veteran player to replace Souray at least on a part-time basis.

The only real issue I see here is the fact that Liles has several years left on his deal so Anaheim would be committing to something longer than the like potentially.

Not sure about insurance with Souray (although its rare that teams don't get insurance on these contracts). Obviously we could afford to take on that deal even if it has no insurance behind it....but at 4-6months we are talking maybe ~$2mil or so. Can't see Anaheim panicking because of that to be honest.

Maybe we can offer Liles + pick for a Prospect? I wouldn't mind grabbing Holland or someone else to bolster our prospect pool. Looking at Aneheim though their pool is pretty weak too...

Yeaoh

Jun 14, 2011
Austria
Looking at Aneheim though their pool is pretty weak too...

Agree to disagree. We are quite happy with our prospect pool.

Anyway I am certain there will be no trade with Toronto regarding Liles. The Ducks have space yes, but our GM doesn't like to be up to the cap, preferes some leeway. Aside from that we just signed Fistric, have Vatanen and Lindholm who can jump in and Souray will be back in 6 months max anway. No need for a panic trade which hurts our cap situation for next year.

I wouldn't be worried about Kadri and Franson, I am sure Kadri will sign a bridge deal as summer closes. He hasn't really shown enough to qualify for a big deal yet. He played well las year true, but the season was a short one. Same holds true for Franson. For him maybe just a 1 year deal.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
ya...so what? bottom pairing signing at best.

Look at their D...their Top 6 is abysmal. Outside of any "internal salary cap" that they operate under and none of us know about, it seems like a pretty logical move for them to look for a veteran player to replace Souray at least on a part-time basis.

The only real issue I see here is the fact that Liles has several years left on his deal so Anaheim would be committing to something longer than the like potentially.

Not sure about insurance with Souray (although its rare that teams don't get insurance on these contracts). Obviously we could afford to take on that deal even if it has no insurance behind it....but at 4-6months we are talking maybe ~$2mil or so. Can't see Anaheim panicking because of that to be honest.

Maybe we can offer Liles + pick for a Prospect? I wouldn't mind grabbing Holland or someone else to bolster our prospect pool. Looking at Aneheim though their pool is pretty weak too...

I hear Beauchemin is questionable for the start of the season too.

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
Agree to disagree. We are quite happy with our prospect pool.

Anyway I am certain there will be no trade with Toronto regarding Liles. The Ducks have space yes, but our GM doesn't like to be up to the cap, preferes some leeway. Aside from that we just signed Fistric, have Vatanen and Lindholm who can jump in and Souray will be back in 6 months max anway. No need for a panic trade which hurts our cap situation for next year.

I wouldn't be worried about Kadri and Franson, I am sure Kadri will sign a bridge deal as summer closes. He hasn't really shown enough to qualify for a big deal yet. He played well las year true, but the season was a short one. Same holds true for Franson. For him maybe just a 1 year deal.

Fair enough...don't know enough about Anaheim's situation so was just hypothesizing.

I am actually a fan of Liles, he didn't really get a chance to play much last year, but when he did, he was doing alright! Imagine sitting for half the year and being asked to jump into the lineup come playoffs so from my standpoint i like the guy.

Problem is that with our apparent glut of D, plus Rielly knocking on the door, its hard to see how he fits into a shrunken capspace with so many UFAs to resign next year.

My hope is that if we can't find a fair deal before camp, we play him a lot to start the year and wait until someone calls us. Great 2nd pairing D with good passing and vision IMHO.

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
The Anaheim situation is interesting. Franson and Souray are very much the same player. I believe that with Souray's age, they could afford to give Franson a longer term contract with him taking Souray's place in the near future.

The player that I'd be most interested in from Anaheim would be Emerson Etem. It definitely would take more than Franson, but I think if we added a guy like Colborne we could get it done.

To Anaheim:
Rights to Franson
Joe Colborne

To Toronto:
Emerson Etem

Sign Kadri to a 3 million/year for two years "bridge contract", and sign a guy like Tom Gilbert 2 million for one year to fill in for the loss of Franson.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($3.000m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Emerson Etem ($0.870m)
Tyler Biggs ($1.107m) / Jay McClement ($1.500m) / Colton Orr ($0.925m)
Frazer McLaren ($0.700m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m) / Carl Gunnarsson ($3.150m)
Jake Gardiner ($1.117m) / Tom Gilbert ($2.000m)
John-Michael Liles ($3.875m) / Paul Ranger ($1.000m)
Mark Fraser ($1.275m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
James Reimer ($1.800m)
OTHER
Buyout: Darcy Tucker ($1.000m)
Buyout: Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.778% of upper limit)
Matt Frattin ($0.437m—0.5%) Ben Scrivens ($0.062m—0.1%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,743,333; BONUSES: $512,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $69,167

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
The Anaheim situation is interesting. Franson and Souray are very much the same player. I believe that with Souray's age, they could afford to give Franson a longer term contract with him taking Souray's place in the near future.

The player that I'd be most interested in from Anaheim would be Emerson Etem. It definitely would take more than Franson, but I think if we added a guy like Colborne we could get it done.

To Anaheim:
Rights to Franson
Joe Colborne

To Toronto:
Emerson Etem

Sign Kadri to a 3 million/year for two years "bridge contract", and sign a guy like Tom Gilbert 2 million for one year to fill in for the loss of Franson.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($3.000m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Emerson Etem ($0.870m)
Tyler Biggs ($1.107m) / Jay McClement ($1.500m) / Colton Orr ($0.925m)
Frazer McLaren ($0.700m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m) / Carl Gunnarsson ($3.150m)
Jake Gardiner ($1.117m) / Tom Gilbert ($2.000m)
John-Michael Liles ($3.875m) / Paul Ranger ($1.000m)
Mark Fraser ($1.275m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
James Reimer ($1.800m)
OTHER
Buyout: Darcy Tucker ($1.000m)
Buyout: Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.778% of upper limit)
Matt Frattin ($0.437m—0.5%) Ben Scrivens ($0.062m—0.1%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,743,333; BONUSES: $512,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $69,167

I like the idea but not at that cost. Why is Etem worth so much? Franson has NHL experience and has proven to be a servicable player at worst or a growing Top Pair D at best. Etem seems to have loads of talent but nothing proven.

Another issue is that Leafs are hurting for high-end Center talent and trading Colbourne (although not really high-end at this point) for another winger might be a bit short-sighted.

May a straight up trade Franson for Etem but nothing more.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
Can we please stop throwing Colborne into trades as though he was a worthless piece? 6'5 ppg AHL centers with a 50-60-point 2-way ceiling shouldn't be just thrown around like table scraps.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Can we please stop throwing Colborne into trades as though he was a worthless piece? 6'5 ppg AHL centers with a 50-60-point 2-way ceiling shouldn't be just thrown around like table scraps.

With Bolland and McClement set to be UFAs and Gauthier a few years away from being ready I also think Colborne has a lot of value to us.

member 147413

I agree, I think some people will be surprised. He played injured quite a bit which hurts his numbers, but like you said when he's healthy he's close to a PPG.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

He isn't a PPG centre in the AHL.

0.59 career AHL PPG and 0.65 in his latest season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad