Speculation: Free Agent FRENZY! Part IV Trade and proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
It really wouldn't surprise me at all.

Nonis, when the talk of Dion being traded was brought up, simply said that a deal that made sense didn't come up, so we're keeping Dion.

Would not be surprised at all to see Dion moved, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't a package for a better defenseman.

Dion + 1st + Biggs + for Pietrangelo or something along those lines.

Or for Weber. I'd poop my pants if we got one of the best defenseman in the game.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I only do it if Weber or Pietrangelo come back, probably have to add to our package a bit to get that.

Weber would actually make sense from a financial perspective as Nashville probably doesnt like being tied down by that contract, plus hes a slightly better d-man(not much better IMO, but say he's top 5 and Dion is top 10)

but no way do I do Phaneuf+1st+++ we can win a cup with Phaneuf IMO so I dont think it'd be worth a massive price if it's a soft deal Phaneuf+3rd etc. do it.

anyway these are all guesses massive chance no trade even happens.

officialmark7*

It really wouldn't surprise me at all.

Nonis, when the talk of Dion being traded was brought up, simply said that a deal that made sense didn't come up, so we're keeping Dion.

Would not be surprised at all to see Dion moved, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't a package for a better defenseman.

Or for Weber. I'd poop my pants if we got one of the best defenseman in the game.

Think Dion, Kadri, Gauthier, 1st

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If a player who's already overpaid wants a raise... yes it hurts us.

Problem being that right now Phaneuf has the more value to the Leafs above what a fair contract value .. Given that he's the captain, logs the toughest minutes against he stiffest opponents, and is one of the top scoring d-men .. He may have the odd brain fart, no doubt, but the Leafs are in a tough spot because there is no one that can replace him

Add in how the UFA market can inflate a players contract .. IMO I'd be content with resigning Phaneuf for 5 years at another $6.5 per ... Ideally it'd be $6 per, in that case I'd go 6 years at $6 per maybe ... But that's the reality of the situation ... That takes Phaneuf to around age 34 or 35 and the end of his prime where he could be resigned at a 2-3 year cheap deal if the Leafs desired

I resign Phaneuf, keep him as captain, and hope that as the Leafs become contenders that Rielly and Gardiner emerge as all around better defensemen but Phaneuf being a top 2-3 physical type that the Leafs would need

Phaneuf likely will want 7-8 years, but I only give him that if he's willing to take a big discount because those years from age 34-37 are a big risk to the Leafs if Phaneufs play drops .. Something like $5-$5.25 per, front loaded

officialmark7*

I only do it if Weber or Pietrangelo come back, probably have to add to our package a bit to get that.

Weber would actually make sense from a financial perspective as Nashville probably doesnt like being tied down by that contract, plus hes a slightly better d-man(not much better IMO, but say he's top 5 and Dion is top 10)

but no way do I do Phaneuf+1st+++ we can win a cup with Phaneuf IMO so I dont think it'd be worth a massive price if it's a soft deal Phaneuf+3rd etc. do it.

Would you trade Phaneuf for Fraser, and a 3rd because it's essentially the same thing. Weber, and Piet are head, and shoulders above Phaneuf.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
is there a deal around phaneuf + ??? for erik johnson from colorado?

Is the plus cancer? AIDS? Because I wouldn't touch that deal unless the Leafs get a lot more in return.

I would be head over heels, but there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for New Jersey to even remotely consider something like this.

Ya. Heaven forfend they give up a guy that ONE DAY MIGHT get 40-50 pts, and play the hardest minutes in the league, hitting and instigating. Could you imagine they gave that up for Dion Phaneuf....crazy. I mean, what can Dion do?

Im Old Gregggg

Jun 22, 2010
Kitchener, On

weber is top 3, phaneuf is a fringe top 15 (imo lock for top 20 but theres a handful of dmen in that 15-20 range that are interchangable

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Is the plus cancer? AIDS? Because I wouldn't touch that deal unless the Leafs get a lot more in return.

Ya. Heaven forfend they give up a guy that ONE DAY MIGHT get 40-50 pts, and play the hardest minutes in the league, hitting and instigating. Could you imagine they gave that up for Dion Phaneuf....crazy. I mean, what can Dion do?

To be fair, there's no way in hell Dion would re-sign with the Devils. So Lou really wouldn't have any motivation to give up his best young defenseman for one year of Phaneuf.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
If we trade phaneuf, I would like two young defensive/all around dmen in return, even if we have to add. Our D has boatloads of offense in Gardiner, Rielly, Franson. We need grit +high defensive IQ.

NJ Larsson+ Severson/Urbom
NYI Hamonic+ Pokka?
Oilers: Petry +Klefbom

Obviously some of these we have to add, but these are the types of returns I would want. That or a young top 6 C with 1C upside, something I dont see a lot of teams giving up. Except for colorado if we wait a few months. ROR+ Seimens

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
To be fair, there's no way in hell Dion would re-sign with the Devils. So Lou really wouldn't have any motivation to give up his best young defenseman for one year of Phaneuf.

Why wouldn't he sign there? Either way, if Dion is being shopped, (which I highly doubt he is) I'm sure renegotiations are also happening. He would likely move with a contract agreed to with the new team. Nonis won't get what he should for our most important player unless the other team has a long term deal in place.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
If we trade phaneuf, I would like two young defensive/all around dmen in return, even if we have to add. Our D has boatloads of offense in Gardiner, Rielly, Franson. We need grit +high defensive IQ.

NYI Hamonic+ Pokka?

Obviously some of these we have to add, but these are the types of returns I would want. That or a young top 6 C with 1C upside, something I dont see a lot of teams giving up. Except for colorado if we wait a few months. ROR+ Seimens

No way does one yr of Phanuef, land either the Isles or Devils proposal.

Isles fans and Sabre fans are having a similar discussion about Vanek/Miller, each of whom is a ufa in 2014. Staple has said in a few fanchats over the past 2-3 months, isles don't want to give up the young talent or huge salaries on extensions for these high salaried, soon to be ufas.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Why wouldn't he sign there? Either way, if Dion is being shopped, (which I highly doubt he is) I'm sure renegotiations are also happening. He would likely move with a contract agreed to with the new team. Nonis won't get what he should for our most important player unless the other team has a long term deal in place.

1) The Devils will be awful next year. I would assume Phaneuf will want to sign with a team who will contend so he'll have a better chance to win a Cup.

2) The Devils will likely be hesitant to hand out lucrative long-term contracts after the Kovalchuk situation. Along with wanting to sign with a winning team, i'm sure money will a big factor.

3) Dion is married to a movie star. It's pretty safe to assume she would veto living in one of the arm pits of the US.

Tyler Biggs*

Any interest in acquiring Kyle Clifford for the 3rd line? I would have some interest if the asking price in terms of what we have to give up to acquire him and what he is asking for contract wise are reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I would be very shocked if it was a package for a better defenseman, since these Leaf board fantasies of packaging assets for a superstar have never really happened, ever.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

NYI Hamonic+ Pokka?

Every single one of those deals make us worse. I don't know why people want to downgrade.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Why do people thinhk we're trading away our captain and actively talking about it like a deal is imminent ?lol , I mean sure he could get traded . Gretzky got traded a few times but I doubt he was actively shopped around every single time.

Asif16*

Any interest in acquiring Kyle Clifford for the 3rd line? I would have some interest if the asking price in terms of what we have to give up to acquire him and what he is asking for contract wise are reasonable.

Yeah clifford was actually talked about alot for the last two days regarding the leafs and most of the posters here (including myself) said clifford would be ideal and would be a great fit on the hole we have in the third line.

Dude is young and fits our age mold (something that nonis has been preaching). Dude is fast, tough, great on forecheck(grinder) and also extremely reliable defensively. Would be one of our better defenders if we do acquire him. He can also be used in the PK role. Dude is definitely a Carlyle type player. Daryll Sutter absolutely loved him and so did king fans.

The only problem might as to what we can offer. Kings fans see Clifford as the same kind of player as Cal Clutterbuck, so they want a Clutterbuck type return. Kings dont want any type of salary back in this deal, so it has to be either prospects and draft picks, or both.

I for one would love having him on our team though.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

I'm sure Nonis would be interested if they had the cap space. I don't think the Leafs 3rd line LW will be able to make more than one million. Clifford probably gets at least 1.5 - 2 million based on last season, being on pace for about 13 goals.

Unfortunately the Leafs only have about 9 million to sign Kadri, Franson and Gunnarsson. This has to be their main focus, and will likely hault any potential trades. The best way of getting a bit of cap freedom would be trading Liles, which seems unlikely at this point.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
Phanuef, Kessel and to a lesser extent Bolland and Kulemin need to be signed...

if not..

Phanuef for Klefbom + 1st
Kessel for Coyle + Dumba +1st
Kulemin + 1st for Neal
Bolland for 2nd + B prospect

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010

Would like to have him on the Leafs, really like him.

Depends on the asking price, obviously.

Tyler Biggs*

I'm sure Nonis would be interested if they had the cap space. I don't think the Leafs 3rd line LW will be able to make more than one million. Clifford probably gets at least 1.5 - 2 million based on last season, being on pace for about 13 goals.

Unfortunately the Leafs only have about 9 million to sign Kadri, Franson and Gunnarsson. This has to be their main focus, and will likely hault any potential trades. The best way of getting a bit of cap freedom would be trading Liles, which seems unlikely at this point.

Yeah that is what I was thinking also. Trade Liles for say a pick to free up some cap space to sign our RFAs and Clifford if we were to acquire him.

DevinH2004

Nov 29, 2009
Think Dion, Kadri, Gauthier, 1st

LOL what!? You're off your rocker man. There are few players in the league that would demand that. Just look at some of the trades for all-star players over the last few years. Nothing like that ever happens. Especially not for someone who's not even top 5 in their position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad