Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Marner? A kings Ransom I would suspect. What do I know.
I don't know about a kings ransom, his cap hit is very high limiting teams and also it's a one year deal so to speak. He's a ufa at the end of the year.
Buying ‘low’ on Marner may be a smart move. Does seem like to make that work there needs to be adults in the room on the acquirer though. Do the Isles have that?
I'm kind of with this.
I’d be interested highly interested in Marchessault specifically.

Actually, I think Carrier and Amadio would round out the bottom six in a very nice way as well. Similar to when we added Grabo & Kule as a package deal that one offseason, I think Carrier and Amadio would have a similar impact and are not going to break the bank.

Nelson-Horvat-Marchessault
Lee-Barzal-Palmieri
Engvall-MacLean-Amadio
Carrier-Cizikas-Holmstrom

Lee in the top six sucks, but there’s a lot of room to shuffle the deck In that proposed lineup.

Stephenson is going to get paid and from what I’ve seen of him he’s not the one creating offense for Vegas, but rather the one finishing. Eichel, Marchessault, Karlsson and Stone are supposed to be their generators.
Love this. Marchessault is older but I'm fine with adding him despite being 34.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
My 2 cents- Let forward UFA's walk and listen to Reilly's camp and try to move Pageau. Sign Debrusk and let the season play out and try to tweak roster in bottom 6 and fix PK. See where this team is by TDL and possibly move Nelson if need be. I would like to see Maclean and Holmstrom full time.

Excited and interested in what Roy can do with training camp and a full season.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
- Can you list me more than five players since 2010 that used their NMC clause? Now look at how many trades that took place which including a NMC clause. Players want to be wanted.

How in the world can anyone report all the players that exercised their NMC/NTC's over the years? The only people who would know that are the front office of a team, a player's agent, and the player himself. It would be like asking...List all the trades that Lou has turned down in the past 15 years.

That said I just Googled searched it and right off the bat:

https://www.audacy.com/weei/sports/bruins/linus-ullmark-reportedly-used-no-trade-clause-to-block-deal

https://www.sportskeeda.com/us/nhl/...eclining-waive-no-trade-clause-earlier-summer

However connect simple dots and you can be sure there have been lots of others that were kept very secret and thus never reported.

- I like both Stamkos and Marchessault but I find this interesting from you. Both are older players on the back end of their careers (well Stamkos more). Nothing else to say there though I would love it.

Is the reason you're surprised I would say this is because you think I'm in some sort of "rebuild or bust" headspeace? I just want to win, and this franchise is so up against the wall right now because of Lou in terms of talent level, age, lack of cap, and zero farm system that I will take any injection of top end talent that we can get - Especially when that talent has lots to give in terms of intangibles.

This "core" is so done so you need other core players from the outside (or the draft) to reshape a group that is both fading and stale. Guys like Stamkos and Marchessault would absolutely give that kind of injection if added.

- I get the vibe in your posts that you are ignoring the fact that the cap is going up close to $6 million. Not nearly as much cap would have to be sent over the Toronto. Especially if the Isles decide to trade Nelson or Palmieri.

Not ignoring this fact at all. Of course I'm hoping it goes up a lot, but we've seen this movie before where the NHL estimates what the cap might go to and then it doesn't. So first I'll wait to see if it goes to 90 million (or more).

And if it does go up 6 million that would give the Isles about 11.5 million to play with. The notable free agents are Wahlstrom, Holmstrom, Martin, Clutterbuck, Reilly, Aho, Bortuzzo, etc. Given Lou's "loyalty" to any FA you can bet he's resigning most of those guys which would erase at least half of the cap space like that. Still means that to acuqire/sign just one top talent (and the Isles truly need multiple) that a notable salary is going to have to go out the door.

If that cap goes up - That's great, and it will give the Isles notably more breathing room. Still doesn't give Lou extra picks or prospects to trade.

- When has Lou had difficulty keeping the UFA's he trades for? This is a value chance for the isles because his value will be lower.

I actually see this more as a problem that Lou won't let some unnecessary FA's just walk and save cap space. I assume you're talking about Marner in this case and if you want him, god bless. 100 points is nothing to sneeze at, but I don't want to give up multiple good assets to acquire a player who's going to ask for 11M+/year next year, has no intangibles (grit, leadership, etc), and most importantly - Whose PPG goes DOWN when it comes playoff time.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I don't know about a kings ransom, his cap hit is very high limiting teams and also it's a one year deal so to speak. He's a ufa at the end of the year.

I'm kind of with this.

Love this. Marchessault is older but I'm fine with adding him despite being 34.
Love that this guy won a cup and actually earned the Conn Smythe and if I recall Roy coached him at one point no?. Kinda spooked about marner, but the skill would be welcome. Might win some OT points

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
One of the issues with the team is age and we're talking about adding Marchessault? I don't get it, and I'm a big fan of his game. He'd be a stopgap at best and this team needs more than that.
I pretty much agree, the only questions being whether Marchessault would sign maybe a 3 year contract, and does his game/health translate to being effective when he's 35/36? Small guys who play bigger than their size are risky from a durability/effectiveness standpoint.

Not from you, but I've seen mention of maybe trading Nelson at the TDL next season to get assets if the Isles are out of it. The problem is, define "out of it". Because, unless they're virtually mathematically eliminated we're probably not seeing Nelson dealt. And this is all assuming no extension after 7/1/24....

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I pretty much agree, the only questions being whether Marchessault would sign maybe a 3 year contract, and does his game/health translate to being effective when he's 35/36? Small guys who play bigger than their size are risky from a durability/effectiveness standpoint.

Not from you, but I've seen mention of maybe trading Nelson at the TDL next season to get assets if the Isles are out of it. The problem is, define "out of it". Because, unless they're virtually mathematically eliminated we're probably not seeing Nelson dealt. And this is all assuming no extension after 7/1/24....

I think waiting to trade Nelson or Palmieri until the deadline would be a mistake and I'd move them now. God forbid they get hurt or are having terrible years the value won't be there and I'd rather get ahead of transforming the team now than waiting until the deadline. This team is a bubble team and will continue to be so if they bring those guys back.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I’d be interested highly interested in Marchessault specifically.

Actually, I think Carrier and Amadio would round out the bottom six in a very nice way as well. Similar to when we added Grabo & Kule as a package deal that one offseason, I think Carrier and Amadio would have a similar impact and are not going to break the bank.

Nelson-Horvat-Marchessault
Lee-Barzal-Palmieri
Engvall-MacLean-Amadio
Carrier-Cizikas-Holmstrom

Lee in the top six sucks, but there’s a lot of room to shuffle the deck In that proposed lineup.

Stephenson is going to get paid and from what I’ve seen of him he’s not the one creating offense for Vegas, but rather the one finishing. Eichel, Marchessault, Karlsson and Stone are supposed to be their generators.
Amadio and Carrier would do wonders on this bottom 6, especially since one was a former 20 goal scorer last season, and the other is a great PK type player. Very gritty type player who plays exactly like CC and wouldn't cost too much. If it was up to me, our offseason should include those two and Skjei.

Reactions: 12Dog

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Amadio and Carrier would do wonders on this bottom 6, especially since one was a former 20 goal scorer last season, and the other is a great PK type player. Very gritty type player who plays exactly like CC and wouldn't cost too much. If it was up to me, our offseason should include those two and Skjei.
I really like Carrier, definitely should go after him in the off-season. Vegas has huge cap issues

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I don't think so because there simply aren't a lot of teams out there who could A) take on a 10.something contract and B) would do so for a guy who presents the uncertainty of a player one year removed from free agency.

He certainly wouldn't be as easy to move as many think by looking at his numbers.

Interestingly, Matt Martin was Marner's big protector and guide when Marner entered the league. Everyone knows they had a special relationship where Martin had a big brother impact. Just a sidenote as I'm assuming that if Martin isn't re-upped, he'll remain with the organization in some capacity for sure.
If Marner would be willing to waive his NMC I would not be surprised if the isles were considered as a destination given the relationship with Martin. Would be an immediate help to the isles IMO. Maybe we can move Pelech + back in return. It is the type of move the isles have to make. They need more skill. There will be limited opportunities to get it.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
If Marner would be willing to waive his NMC I would not be surprised if the isles were considered as a destination given the relationship with Martin. Would be an immediate help to the isles IMO. Maybe we can move Pelech + back in return. It is the type of move the isles have to make. They need more skill. There will be limited opportunities to get it.
I don't think his relationship with Martin matters. Especially it seems likely we will not re-sign Martin. and if Martin sticks to his guns, in his closing interview he stated he has no intentions on retiring and will play with the isles or somewhere else.

Again, we have to think smartly about this. We have been after Lou, rightfully so, killing us with his contract signings and no flexibility. Now you want to trade for a guy who wants a huge contract- Toronto media is saying he wants 12M per.

This would be a bad move. You want to be top heavy like Toronto and have the same problems they are having now?

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
One of the issues with the team is age and we're talking about adding Marchessault? I don't get it, and I'm a big fan of his game. He'd be a stopgap at best and this team needs more than that.
Available guy is available.

People are in Islanders mode from October til May, but flip right to Rangers mode from June to September.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte

Doesn’t sound like a player looking to waive a NMC

Reactions: duster19

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

We certainly have never experienced a player saying one thing and doing another before.

Edit:

The exact quote doesn't sound great actually. Figure what out?

"I've expressed my love for this place, this city," Marner said Monday. "Obviously, I grew up here. We'll start thinking about that now and try to figure something out."

Reactions: Glorydays22

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

How would it look if he came out and said, ‘you know what, it’s time to move from my hometown, I’m not performing at my $11M salary, I’ve instructed Toronto mgmt to trade me?’

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
We certainly have never experienced a player saying one thing and doing another before.

Edit:

The exact quote doesn't sound great actually. Figure what out?

"I've expressed my love for this place, this city," Marner said Monday. "Obviously, I grew up here. We'll start thinking about that now and try to figure something out."
He’s gotta move on to get paid as a UFA - this is about contract/money management now. Toronto ain’t paying him $11M to not perform in the playoffs.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I don't think his relationship with Martin matters. Especially it seems likely we will not re-sign Martin. and if Martin sticks to his guns, in his closing interview he stated he has no intentions on retiring and will play with the isles or somewhere else.
Maybe, maybe not. But unlike people who have only places from the airport to the arena, he's seen more, and knows more of what to expect.

But doesn't seem the right fit, tbh. It was a couple of years ago, but imo it isn't anymore.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
A few years ago it was Noel Acciari who would fix the bottom 6, there's no secret to a bottom 6 and he isn't panning out. Penalty killers, faceoff winners and shutdown guys on the 4th and 3rd with a few 15-goal scorers; Roy DID NOT roll 4 lines equally.

A better top line partner for Barzal-Horvat pushes Casey back to 3rd line if we deal Pageau. Or, as you see below, would you want Cizikas with 3 more years after this or Nico Sturm at $2 million for one more year after this? A lateral trade with San Jose means we save a few bucks and a few more years of flexibility.

McLean, Holms, Engvall are all bottom 6 fits and well-placed there (I'd bet it would make a heck of a good 3rd line too. Signing FA's specifically for the bottom 6 should be less than $1,500,000 each. Plenty will fit the bill. Save the bucks for one big acquisition via trade. Friggin' Noesen is on LEAGUE MINIMUM. So was Heinen. Both would have been terrific bottom 6 for us. Nico Sturm is a high percentage faceoff guy and very effective PK'er for $2 million. This is how you fill the bottom 6, not overpaying for players who had a hot year to get to 15-20 goals..

Last year, too many here pissed on the Boeser types. This year, the best buy low trade candidate out there is Laine and if we can get him for Pelech or Pulock, Wally and another prospect, you do that.

And no whining about 'can't skate, selfish, injured, etc'. He's been worn down mentally by the ineptitude in Columbus. Take that off his head and watch the goal scorer come back. Heard all the same crap about Boeser and all he did is pot FORTY this year. Talent is talent, and Laine has plenty of it.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY

Again, we have to think smartly about this. We have been after Lou, rightfully so, killing us with his contract signings and no flexibility. Now you want to trade for a guy who wants a huge contract- Toronto media is saying he wants 12M per.

This would be a bad move. You want to be top heavy like Toronto and have the same problems they are having now?
The issue with Lou’s signings haven’t been the signings on their own, it’s the fact that he’s given them to aging players or ones who aren’t important enough to warrant the signings. Marner is a different situation entirely. He’s only 28 and is an elite level player. Those are exactly the type of guys you should sign to large deals if you’re going to give deals like that out.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Columbus has a pretty decent defense corp, and they're all under team control. They need offense badly.
More like they need health and goaltending. That team has been cursed in net after poor Kivelinks passed away. Laine also hasn't played a full season in ages.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad