GDT: FREE AGENT FRENZY IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Maybe this belongs in the Smith thread, but how is Craig Smith a third liner playing over his head on line 2? Coyle, okay, I see that based on his past performance, but Smith? How many third liners are regular 20+ goal scorers in this league? We liked him on the third line when he came in because we looked for Jake to be the 2nd line RW and that didn't work out. Craig Smith as a regular third line guy is a luxury that deep team can have, but that isn't the Bruins with the way JDB has cratered and no young offensively gifted prospect ready to step in.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Coyle is like Smith in that sure you can slot him up, but in reality, you end up with a true 3rd line guy playing above his head. That's just not a winning formula for a cup contending team, IMO. I may have misunderstood what was happening here, but given the rhetoric from management about how the core wanted a last kick at the can, and them bringing back Hall to ostensibly do that, how can that now turn to Coyle or someone like Foligno slotting up? Those two view points are diametrically opposed, IMO.

I honestly don't think for a second Krejci isn't coming back. We have multiple insiders telling us this is true, and nothing about the eye test in the playoffs said he was done.

I expect they are playing coy with his decision as it enabled them to sell free agents on potential opportunity, and it doesn't put them in a bind in trade talks for guys like DeBrusk. Just makes too much sense to me. Way more sense than the idea they got Hall on a decent deal and loaded up with vets to take a run without a #2 center.

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
I honestly don't think for a second Krejci isn't coming back. We have multiple insiders telling us this is true, and nothing about the eye test in the playoffs said he was done.

I expect they are playing coy with his decision as it enabled them to sell free agents on potential opportunity, and it doesn't put them in a bind in trade talks for guys like DeBrusk. Just makes too much sense to me. Way more sense than the idea they got Hall on a decent deal and loaded up with vets to take a run without a #2 center.
Wouldn’t other GM’s be smart enough to figure this out then? I mean if we can piece it together why can’t they?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I expect they are playing coy with his decision as it enabled them to sell free agents on potential opportunity, and it doesn't put them in a bind in trade talks for guys like DeBrusk. Just makes too much sense to me.

I really hope so. And I was excited by those reports as well, especially from BCB. What scares me is the vague way Sweeney has dodged questions about DK coming back, the odd word choices like he's trying his best to not f*** up and let something slip, and the fact that they had a shit ton of cap space until he went on a drunken spending spree to fill out the bottom of the roster yesterday. Now we're at the point where he has to move a player or players, just to make enough space to bring DK back.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Wouldn’t other GM’s be smart enough to figure this out then? I mean if we can piece it together why can’t they?
Well they can, surely, but they can't know it right? So long as he isn't under contract, Sweeney can maintain it's an open issue. Once he's under contract then it's certain.

I mean the car dealer tells you you are getting the best deal. You may suspect he's full of it, but still, people buy cars from dealers.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Maybe this belongs in the Smith thread, but how is Craig Smith a third liner playing over his head on line 2? Coyle, okay, I see that based on his past performance, but Smith? How many third liners are regular 20+ goal scorers in this league? We liked him on the third line when he came in because we looked for Jake to be the 2nd line RW and that didn't work out. Craig Smith as a regular third line guy is a luxury that deep team can have, but that isn't the Bruins with the way JDB has cratered and no young offensively gifted prospect ready to step in.

Prior to coming to Boston he was mainly a 3rd line guy from what the reports were. And really, he's not a dynamic offensively gifted forward. He's a shooter that doesn't create his own chances.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I'd say they improved the bottom 6, but the defense got a bit worse, and there are very big questions in net at best, if not an outright downgrade.

The defense is roughly the same except swap Lauzon for Forbort. And I really liked Lauzon, but there's no way last year's version of Lauzon, or possibly even this year's version, will be better than Forbort. Forbort has been playing big minutes in the league for a half dozen years. I don't care what other team's fans say about him. Our fans butcher guys that can play too, I'll take the fact that coaches are trusting them with big minutes.
Goaltending though you're right. Rask has been great, but suspect lately too though; so who knows with Ulmark & Swayman. It's definitely a question.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Sadly, the last half decade in drafting has taught me you’re probably right. I’ve heard so much hype here about him, Beecher, Lauko, Steen and now it’s time for one of them to win a spot on this roster. I’ve given up on Senyshyn as there is no spot on the 4th line or press box.

have the head scouts been fired and all control been given to PJ in Sweden?

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I really hope so. And I was excited by those reports as well, especially from BCB. What scares me is the vague way Sweeney has dodged questions about DK coming back, the odd word choices like he's trying his best to not f*** up and let something slip, and the fact that they had a shit ton of cap space until he went on a drunken spending spree to fill out the bottom of the roster yesterday. Now we're at the point where he has to move a player or players, just to make enough space to bring DK back.

But don't we likely suspect he planned to move JDB all along? If he ever managed to parlay JDB with Gryz for a top pair LD, call it Ekholm, you'd still have $4m+ to sign Krejci to an incentive laden deal right?

I suspect like every year, Sweeney will leave one glaring hole for thee regular season. My bet is that it's on D, and thus JDB goes for futures or something. But either way, once JDB is moved there's some room. And hell with Foligno and Haula here you could even move Coyle if you wanted, for $$$ to add a real dman.

Isn't normally my instinct but I'm fairly enthused after yesterday. With the exception of JDB (which seems imminent), they seemingly moved on from every guy I wanted them to, down to the man.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Prior to coming to Boston he was mainly a 3rd line guy from what the reports were. And really, he's not a dynamic offensively gifted forward. He's a shooter that doesn't create his own chances.

That's all he needs to be with guys like Hall or DK or both on his line. Lines need shooters and Smith is pretty good. I'll take 20+ goals from a second line wing all day every day. Now if you don't have anyone talented setting him up to shoot, then yeah, he's going to shit the bed, but the Bruins have the players.

Reactions: HumBucker and SPV

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
I’m actually feeling ok about all the signings.

I think everyone would like Krejci resigned and moving out Debrusk, Wagner, Moore while adding another high Dman would really put it over the top.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Hall-Krejci-Smith
Foligno-Haula-Coyle
Frederic-Nosek-Studnicka
Senyshyn

x-McAvoy
Reilly-Carlo
Gryz-Clifton
Forbort, Vaak, Zboril

Ullmark
Swayman
Rask

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
That's all he needs to be with guys like Hall or DK or both on his line. Lines need shooters and Smith is pretty good. I'll take 20+ goals from a second line wing all day every day. Now if you don't have anyone talented setting him up to shoot, then yeah, he's going to shit the bed, but the Bruins have the players.
In addition Smith has the size and grit that balances that line. I understand people wanting 3 uber talented players on every line. but in reality sometimes balance is much more important.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The defense is roughly the same except swap Lauzon for Forbort. And I really liked Lauzon, but there's no way last year's version of Lauzon, or possibly even this year's version, will be better than Forbort. Forbort has been playing big minutes in the league for a half dozen years. I don't care what other team's fans say about him. Our fans butcher guys that can play too, I'll take the fact that coaches are trusting them with big minutes.
Goaltending though you're right. Rask has been great, but suspect lately too though; so who knows with Ulmark & Swayman. It's definitely a question.

Logging big minutes on bad teams does nothing to instill confidence in the player for me. And that's not specific to Forbort. He's a bottom pairing guy, something this team has a shitload of already.

Reactions: inactive user

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I’m actually feeling ok about all the signings.

I think everyone would like Krejci resigned and moving out Debrusk, Wagner, Moore while adding another high Dman would really put it over the top.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Hall-Krejci-Smith
Foligno-Haula-Coyle
Frederic-Nosek-Studnicka
Senyshyn

x-McAvoy
Reilly-Carlo
Gryz-Clifton
Forbort, Vaak, Zboril

Ullmark
Swayman
Rask

Yes, but there's hardly room for Krejci once you move out some money, now we are magically bringing in a #1 left shot defenseman too?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Coyle is like Smith in that sure you can slot him up, but in reality, you end up with a true 3rd line guy playing above his head. That's just not a winning formula for a cup contending team, IMO. I may have misunderstood what was happening here, but given the rhetoric from management about how the core wanted a last kick at the can, and them bringing back Hall to ostensibly do that, how can that now turn to Coyle or someone like Foligno slotting up? Those two view points are diametrically opposed, IMO.

How many 3rd line players have scored 20+ goals in 5 of the last 6 seasons that weren’t cut short by Covid? I think you’re underrating smith a bit. He’s a legit 2nd line RW.

Serge

Mar 13, 2006
Massachusetts

I'm guessing Krejci signs and joins the team mid season for the playoff push. Incentive laden contract. Can't imagine he is looking at an 82 game regular season. This way he gets to spend time and train in Czech Republic in the interim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad