GDT: FREE AGENT FRENZY COVID STYLE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Pomo strikes again by not playing him ahead of Scheifele, Little, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Wheeler, and then watching Roslovic do almost nothing when given more ice time.

People see a useful forward caught behind better talent.

I don't totally blame Maurice for not inserting Roslovic over any of our producing top-6 forwards ahead of him. What I have seen is no trust in playing a few younger " new recruits" on 3rd line trying to find chemistry with others and hoping for better, more secondary, thirdary scoring. Giving a higher skilled prospects hopes for ice time and a more viable chance to learn the NHL level. To become comfortable with the speed, toughness, skill of competition, without same pressures of having to produce at same or higher level than the top6 player they are replacing. Early on, Roslo had little ice time other than 4 to 5 minute 4th-line spot duty, under Maurice's comnand. Then, when given a higher role, up in the lineup , I don't think he was truly ready due to lack of introduction, nurturing at this level. I totally agree Roslo has not made the best impression nor has he made the most of his opportunities. He has "lost something in the translation" so to speak and I believe to move on from him, getting an asset back and letting him try to prosper and find his game with a new organization.
I would like to see him offered to CBJ ( his hometown) for former whl scorer and Ehlers national bro', rhs/Rw Oliver Bjorkstrand. His cap hit is already 2.5 million though for only one year so...? Would take some roster finnagling, but will anyways to resign Roslo.
OBjork has over a point every 2 games and is a +30 in 240+ NHL games.
Maybe could make a 3rd line scoring line with strong defensive acumen and commitment by putting Ehlers-Copp-Bjorkstrand together. Could trial K Vesalainen on Lw with Stastny-C and Laine on Rw. With 81-55-26 Jets could havec a top-9 / 3-line attack approach with Nate Thompson-Lowry-Perreault/Appleton as a shutdown, experienced 4th line. If Vesalainen falters move Ehlers back up there. Etc.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
The Schmidt deal just confirms that we overpaid for a year of a declining center. I guess that is the price for getting even declining assets if the Jets are involved. Not an easy situation for Jets management........or fans. This stings.

I was with you up to the second sentence. We did overpay for a declining center based on the market. The price for declining assets shouldn't be affected by the player's desire to be here. IF the Jets hold out on the Stastny deal demanding a pick rather than giving one to Vegas as they did, does Stastny nix the deal?

Somehow I doubt that.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I don't totally blame Maurice for not inserting Roslovic over any of our producing top-6 forwards ahead of him. What I have seen is no trust in playing a few younger " new recruits" on 3rd line trying to find chemistry with others and hoping for better, more secondary, thirdary scoring. Giving a higher skilled prospects hopes for ice time and a more viable chance to learn the NHL level. To become comfortable with the speed, toughness, skill of competition, without same pressures of having to produce at same or higher level than the top6 player they are replacing. Early on, Roslo had little ice time other than 4 to 5 minute 4th-line spot duty, under Maurice's comnand. Then, when given a higher role, up in the lineup , I don't think he was truly ready due to lack of introduction, nurturing at this level. I totally agree Roslo has not made the best impression nor has he made the most of his opportunities. He has "lost something in the translation" so to speak and I believe to move on from him, getting an asset back and letting him try to prosper and find his game with a new organization.
I would like to see him offered to CBJ ( his hometown) for former whl scorer and Ehlers national bro', rhs/Rw Oliver Bjorkstrand. His cap hit is already 2.5 million though for only one year so...? Would take some roster finnagling, but will anyways to resign Roslo.
OBjork has over a point every 2 games and is a +30 in 240+ NHL games.
Maybe could make a 3rd line scoring line with strong defensive acumen and commitment by putting Ehlers-Copp-Bjorkstrand together. Could trial K Vesalainen on Lw with Stastny-C and Laine on Rw. With 81-55-26 Jets could havec a top-9 / 3-line attack approach with Nate Thompson-Lowry-Perreault/Appleton as a shutdown, experienced 4th line. If Vesalainen falters move Ehlers back up there. Etc.

No way Rosie gets you Bjorkstrand. If that's on the table you take it and run!

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Chevy should have gone into salesman mode with Schmidt and his agent.

Chevy - "We have a few local boys, Ok well one local and one a hop, skip and a jump from Winnipeg, that can help you with all your supplementary needs. Easy peasy. And one of them is even one of the best players in his league. Here I will give you their numbers so you can confirm."

Chevy gives phone numbers of a certain Bomber player and ex Los Angeles King.:naughty:

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Chevy should have gone into salesman mode with Schmidt and his agent.

Chevy - "We have a few local boys, Ok well one local and one a hop, skip and a jump from Winnipeg, that can help you with all your supplementary needs. Easy peasy. And one of them is even one of the best players in his league. Here I will give you their numbers so you can confirm."

Chevy gives phone numbers of a certain Bomber player and ex Los Angeles King.:naughty:

Chevy would have had to move Frenchie to make room. It's very possible the deal wasn't there to make. Cap space is tight and he unfortunately doesn't bring much anymore.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Pomo strikes again by not playing him ahead of Scheifele, Little, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Wheeler, and then watching Roslovic do almost nothing when given more ice time.

My thought is that he struck again by playing a RW at center and then Roslovic, a center, at RW. Also he's still paying for his time with Laine where Laine went on the worst scoring drought of his career, despite the fact that I can't remember any player other than Scheifele setting him up with more grade A chances in their time with him.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016

comment more centric around another first rounder wanting out. The list is growing.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Would Jets fans be interested in a Roslovic for Virtanen swap?

Seems like Roslovic might want more playing time and Virtanen is likely on the outs in Van.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Looking at the free agent list and there are still plenty of quality players available. While many teams have cap space let's remember some have internal budgets that will prevent them from spending to the cap...especially with the real possibility a good portion of next season is likely to played in mostly and half-empty arenas. Team revenues are almost certainly to decline next season, probably significantly. That means reducing expenses wherever teams can.

I think Hamonic could be had on a short term contract (2 years) at a reduced rate. $2.75 - $3 million AAV. With Little on IR I think the Jets could make it work.

Roslovic just finished his draft +5 season. At this point he is likely only worth a second round pick and maybe an additional later pick (4th or 5th rounder) or a B prospect.

If the Jets were desperate to get rid of Perreault 's salary to make some cap space, and prospective trade partners wanted a proven player, rather than a draft pick (likely 2nd rounder) to go along with him, perhaps the Jets would be willing to trade Ros' with Perreault and his salary and get a later round draft pick in return....at least it can be spun as Chevy getting something back for Ros.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Ros just isn't worth as much as people think. He just completed his draft + 5 season and accumulated 29 points in 71 games. He is likely worth no more than a second rounder and some spare part.
well a 3rd just got a good top4 defensemen which is what we want to get with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad