Free Agency/Trade thread - 2014-15 season V. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
If Nonis offered the leaf's #1st rounder for an injury-prone centre (albeit, a very good one when healthy) with an 8million caphit, i'd be outraged.

2010-2011 HURRICANES GP 81
2011-2012 HURRICANES GP 82
2012-2013 HURRICANES GP 48
2013-2014 HURRICANES GP 79
2014-2015 HURRICANES GP 2

i wouldn't exactly call that an injury prone center..

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
2010-2011 HURRICANES GP 81
2011-2012 HURRICANES GP 82
2012-2013 HURRICANES GP 48
2013-2014 HURRICANES GP 79
2014-2015 HURRICANES GP 2

i wouldn't exactly call that an injury prone center..

The reason Staal missed 3 games last season? A sports hernia.

He isn't even close to injury prone.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I sure as hell wouldn't ****ing deal Kadri or Bozak AND Gardiner AND a 1st round pick for Staal. That's a huge price to pay... huge.

2 of those 3 is fair, even all ready pretty darn risky for my blood. I think Kadri going back would make sense, that way we would have Bozak and Staal as our top 2 centers, which is fantastic if you ask me. Staal is obviously a pretty big upgrade on Kadri now. I'm not sure I would pay more then what Dallas gave up for Spezza.

Having Staal on this team would do wonders for our center position though. The big center that everyone has been craving for, with some great skill. He's obviously fallen off a bit in terms of production but the Canes have been terrible in recent years. Even in his worst years he was the teams top scorer.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I sure as hell wouldn't ****ing deal Kadri or Bozak AND Gardiner AND a 1st round pick for Staal. That's a huge price to pay... huge.

2 of those 3 is fair, even all ready pretty darn risky for my blood. I think Kadri going back would make sense, that way we would have Bozak and Staal as our top 2 centers, which is fantastic if you ask me. Staal is obviously a pretty big upgrade on Kadri now. I'm not sure I would pay more then what Dallas gave up for Spezza.

Having Staal on this team would do wonders for our center position though. The big center that everyone has been craving for, with some great skill. He's obviously fallen off a bit in terms of production but the Canes have been terrible in recent years. Even in his worst years he was the teams top scorer.

Unless the center is Duchene (or 25 and under), there would be no offer of a 1st,Kadri or Rielly in any deal.
At this point Staal has lost a step and gets called lazy by his fanbase.
Jordan Staal ok. Eric, no thanks unless the price is a steal for us. Not to mention he makes 8 + million.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Unless the center is Duchene (or 25 and under), there would be no offer of a 1st,Kadri or Rielly in any deal.
At this point Staal has lost a step and gets called lazy by his fanbase.
Jordan Staal ok. Eric, no thanks unless the price is a steal for us. Not to mention he makes 8 + million.

And that's why I wouldn't pay the premium price that's been rumoured to be.

That salary is just way too high for his recent production and his age range.

Again, I'd love to have E. Staal here but the price would be different then what the asking price would be. I'm not sure if the Leafs management team would get him for that price either... I really don't see it happening.

And I can't believe you'd prefer to have Jordan over Eric. Jordan is so overrated.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Again, I'd love to have E. Staal here but the price would be different then what the asking price would be. I'm not sure if the Leafs management team would get him for that price either... I really don't see it happening.

And I can't believe you'd prefer to have Jordan over Eric. Jordan is so overrated.

At this stage of their careers I would much prefer Jordan. It's about team fit.
Jordan is much better defensively and that is something missing from our top 6. Plus he is 4 years younger, fitting into the age category of Kessel/JVR etc. The difference between the 2 last year is about 20 points, but the GA/GF average is in Jordan's favor. Better fit, a little cheaper salary IMO.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Better defensively, much worst offensively. I'm not sure if we need that in our top6... Might as well keep Bozak and Kadri really.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Agreed, all three is way too pricey.

Even Kadri + Gardiner seems a bit steep considering Kadri has posted good numbers, but Staal is a definite improvement to the lineup. I'd probably pull the trigger - particularly if sitting Gards is going to be the norm. I'd rather not move that 1st, as this is the Leafs we're talking about, and the collapse is still a very real threat.

Staal would finally give us a #1 centre, even if he is almost 30. As some have said, this wouldn't allow the Leafs to sit back. They would still need to keep building from within. Draft well, develop well, and maybe, just maybe, they have a chance at a good team.

TheThrill81*

What happened to the Jordan Staal that scored 29 goals in his rookie season?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

If that premium price is the asking price, not many teams will pay it.

Staal is coming off of his worst season since his rookie season. Carolina would be selling low, not high nor even at his average.

He's got a huge price tag, with that top ten cap hit. In a good season he's a hard add for any team. With him coming off his worst season in his career (sans rookie season of course) he's a much harder add.

If Staal is traded, I'm betting that the price tag will be a lot less than hfboards expects.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Would not want to include Kadri in that trade. Asking price seems too high but Staal is still a very good player

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
Acquiring Eric Staal would give us the legit #1C we've been without since Sundin. This has been the issue that most Leafs fans mention when asked about our team's lack of success over the past 7 or 8 years. When a guy like that becomes available you put in the best offer you possibly can.

Eric Staal is NOT injury prone: the guy has missed 17 games his entire career.

He's not on the decline either: He recorded 61 points on a offensively-deprived Hurricanes squad last season. He was the only player to record 60+ points. Skinner was next with 54 points. No one else recorded over 44 points. He was PPG+ in the lockout season and has shown to be a reliable 70+ point center his entire career. Combine that with his 6'4", 205 pound frame and you're dealing with an elite first line center.

Also, he's only 30 years old. Some people are talking about him like he's 40 years old. 30 isn't old.

threeGo

Oct 18, 2011
Toronto
Acquiring Eric Staal would give us the legit #1C we've been without since Sundin. This has been the issue that most Leafs fans mention when asked about our team's lack of success over the past 7 or 8 years. When a guy like that becomes available you put in the best offer you possibly can.

Eric Staal is NOT injury prone: the guy has missed 17 games his entire career.

He's not on the decline either: He recorded 61 points on a offensively-deprived Hurricanes squad last season. He was the only player to record 60+ points. Skinner was next with 54 points. No one else recorded over 44 points. He was PPG+ in the lockout season and has shown to be a reliable 70+ point center his entire career. Combine that with his 6'4", 205 pound frame and you're dealing with an elite first line center.

Also, he's only 30 years old. Some people are talking about him like he's 40 years old. 30 isn't old.

At age 30 and onwards players are usually on the decline unless your are Martin St.Louis.

He has an 8Mill cap hit and some people here want us to give up a player like kadri who realistically should be able to produce 60 points a season for much longer than Staal can keep that up in his 30s. On top of that they want Bozak and/or the 1st round pick in a deep draft that we might pick in the top 5 OA.

Only way I take Staal and his 60-70 points a year is if they take something like Clarkson (cap dump) + Bozak + 1st round pick (top 8 protected). I wouldn't want to trade younger players who can produce/potentially produce the same given top line minutes. We'd become a one line team if we give up Kadri.

Swayze*

We should just wait and see if we can sign him for free when he becomes available or if the price is low enough jump on it

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009

Salary going back the other way has to be similar/same as what Staal is making.
Lupul or Bozak, Gardiner and a propect (Biggs?)

The first rounder should be as untouchable as any player, IMO.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Kadri, Jake and the first should all be untouchables.

Bozak i wouldn't hesitate to move in a deal for Staal, maybe with a prospect or two, but i doubt carolina would bite.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Salary going back the other way has to be similar/same as what Staal is making.
Lupul or Bozak, Gardiner and a propect (Biggs?)

The first rounder should be as untouchable as any player, IMO.

This is a deal I'd be much more comfortable making...

I'm thinking Bozak, Gardiner, and an average prospect (Loov, Nilsson, etc.) OR Bozak, Franson, 2016 1st are about the maximum i'd want to pay for a 29 yo C due to him being outside of our age range.

JVR - Staal - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Winnik

Having said that, if a young C becomes available and we have to trade Kadri+ to get them, i'd be willing to pull the trigger depending on who it is (because we have Nylander coming up who is a similar player). However, I'm going to be hesitant who we trade Kadri for because I think he's on the verge of breaking through.... Been one of our best players over the course of the 4 games despite limited minutes at times and not actually putting up points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad