McKenzie: Free agency to begin November 1, 2020

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
So are they going to start the new season in January and just do a lockout-style half season?

I like this. Gets you out of the NFL's way for a big part of the season. Only competing with them for a month.

Take out the bye and all star weeks...I like where this is going...

Reactions: Lenerdosy

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So these playoffs, even with the play-in round would last until maybe the first week of October? Then maybe 6-7 weeks off before some sort of mini-camp/preseason and then back in January?

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Being optimistic of having as much of a full season as possible, they could just have a 1-month free agency period, with training camps built in. If you are a Free Agent and want to spend weeks dragging out a contract, so be it, miss some time. That could lead to a December start of the season, (2 months behind schedule). No bi-weeks, and start the playoffs 1.5 months later than normal, and also have a shorter 2021 offseason.

They'd be back on track after that. Admittedly, that's probably a little too optimistic.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I read a while back that many in the league were holding out hope for starting the next season in early December, but that the timing of fans being able to return might push that back. Maybe 5 weeks isn't enough for a free agent period and a full training camp, but most of the free agent activity happens in the first couple of days anyway. I don't see the players feeling like they need 6-7 weeks off before camp even after going through the play-in and 4 rounds of playoffs since they will have had nearly 4 months off prior to that.

Has anyone see anything definitive as to the plan to play a shortened season next year versus a delayed calendar that would push next year's Cup final back to July or August?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I read a while back that many in the league were holding out hope for starting the next season in early December, but that the timing of fans being able to return might push that back. Maybe 5 weeks isn't enough for a free agent period and a full training camp, but most of the free agent activity happens in the first couple of days anyway. I don't see the players feeling like they need 6-7 weeks off before camp even after going through the play-in and 4 rounds of playoffs since they will have had nearly 4 months off prior to that.

Has anyone see anything definitive as to the plan to play a shortened season next year versus a delayed calendar that would push next year's Cup final back to July or August?

Additionally, there's less money available than in prior years. Theoretically, it shouldn't take as long to divvy up a smaller pie.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The season could start mid December with training camps starting mid November. No issue for free agents as they know the time period they are operating in.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Has anyone heard from NHL.TV about a discount or money back? I’m set on autopay right now, and it usually comes out in August or September, but I hope they don’t try to take the full amount.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Has anyone heard from NHL.TV about a discount or money back? I’m set on autopay right now, and it usually comes out in August or September, but I hope they don’t try to take the full amount.
You should get in touch with them and demand money back. They won't have any of the rights for playoffs.

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
November 1st is a Sunday, so at least I wouldn't be super distracted at work like other July 1sts.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

I don't think fans will be back until Spring at the earliest.

They can start the season in mid December, and get 5 months of regular season games, before starting the playoffs in mid-April - hopefully with vaccinated fans in attendance.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

They're flat out crooks, I'd be f***ing shocked if there was any kind of discount on the next season or money back for this season.

I ended up getting double charged for this season because their auto-pay subscription didn't kick in for the first day of the season so I directly purchased it..just thinking I remembered incorrectly and I wasn't set up for auto-renew. They were absolutely adamant that they weren't giving me my money back because I didn't cancel the "2nd subscription" within 2 weeks (the only way you'd possibly notice this is checking bank statements)...even though they couldn't possibly provide me with 2 subscriptions worth of streaming to one account. I had to get my f***ing bank involved to dispute the charges on my behalf, and that was the only way I got my money back from those f***ing thieves.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
If I was one of the big UFA's I'd only sign a 1 year deal.
Button said that yesterday re Hall, that he should sign for 1 with Avs, like Hossa did w DRW in '08,
then have a few contenders to choose from the following

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Button said that yesterday re Hall, that he should sign for 1 with Avs, like Hossa did w DRW in '08,
then have a few contenders to choose from the following

Avs are the perfect team for Hall. Great young team with lots of cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad