GDT: Free agency madness, brought to you by the letter G

Status
Not open for further replies.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I'm starting to think that the HC scandal may be messing with PD's plans for a top 4D. He has to figure out what's going on first with Bath/Forms before making any big moves.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Star hockey players (high school, college, junior hockey, NHL) attract pretty young women called "puck bunnies"- FACT. Star music band members attract "groupies"...rich men attract "gold diggers". Why everyone is so surprised that these men feel entitled? Temptations everywhere. Formula for disaster and culture of exploitation. Not surprising in the least. I will wait for everything to play out before i condemn or convict anyone. Sad state of affairs.
Do you happen to work for Hockey Canada?

This take is so tone deaf and unnecessary, you're just making excuses for toxic behavior instead of condemning it so that hopefully there can be change.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Any rumblings on the streets?

200.gif

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Oilers fans are next up to be pissed off.

Puljujarvi isn't going to return a fantastic haul either, IMO.

Yes but I think that's more to do with uncertainty of him as a player than the money side. Even at a cheap rate, do you really want him in your top 9?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
So, Bjorkstrand.

We still going to bitch about only getting a 2nd for one year of Brown?

Yes because he should have been dealt way earlier.

Mistake wasn't failing to get market value for Brown. I don't believe Dorion knowingly passed up return by dealing Brown to Washington for a 2nd. No team was offering more. The mistake was not dealing him at the deadline when he knew (or should have known) Brown wasn't interested in re-signing long-term.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yes because he should have been dealt way earlier.

Mistake wasn't failing to get market value for Brown. I don't believe Dorion knowingly passed up return by dealing Brown to Washington for a 2nd. No team was offering more. The mistake was not dealing him at the deadline when he knew (or should have known) Brown wasn't interested in re-signing long-term.

Did Dorion know he would add Debincat and Giroux at that time? He very well could have had his sights set on the next deadline and he would have more suitors given it would be an expiring contract. A lot changed from the deadline to when Brown was traded.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Did Dorion know he would add Debincat and Giroux at that time? He very well could have had his sights set on the next deadline and he would have more suitors given it would be an expiring contract.

If Dorion was smart he would have realized having an extra 4M to spend in a flat cap environment would have allowed him to find a Brown replacement at a lower cost.

Brown is a bargain on his 3.6M cap hit and would undoubtedly have more value at last year's deadline than the following year.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If Dorion was smart he would have realized having an extra 4M to spend in a flat cap environment would have allowed him to find a Brown replacement at a lower cost.

Brown is a bargain on his 3.6M cap hit and would undoubtedly have more value at last year's deadline than the following year.

Max Domi, Andreas Athanasiou, Frank Vatarno, Dylan Strome, Nino Niederreiter. Which of these players who signed between 3-4M is better?

The appeal of acquiring players at the deadline is largely driven by expiring contracts and the goal of a playoff run.

StutzMeister

Jun 16, 2022
Do you happen to work for Hockey Canada?

This take is so tone deaf and unnecessary, you're just making excuses for toxic behavior instead of condemning it so that hopefully there can be change.
Not making excuses at all - it is what it is. I notice how you dont refute what i said - just sit on your virtuous high horse and insult me by making an inane remark about me working for Hockey Canada. "You can't handle the truth" is an appropriate response to you.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.

He likely wouldn't have guessed that Melnyk was going to die and that his daughters were going to open their wallet. You don't make trades on those assumptions.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I guess we are not going to trade for Chychrun or any other top 4

Our starting lineup could potentially be looking like this..

DeBrincat - Stutzle - Giroux
Tkachuk - Norris - Joseph
_______ - Pinto - _______
(insert - who - ever)

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Zaitsev
Holden - Hamonic

That's quite Ugly

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Max Domi, Andreas Athanasiou, Frank Vatarno, Dylan Strome, Nino Niederreiter. Which of these players who signed between 3-4M is better?

The appeal of acquiring players at the deadline is largely driven by expiring contracts and the goal of a playoff run.

None of them, but they would be the worst case scenario if we couldn't sign Giroux. I would have looked at guys like Jarnkrok, Janmark, Lindblom and Kubalik as far as potential bargains that would be able to play a 3rd line role at a lower salary.

Coleman, Lehkonen, Goodrow and Hagel all returned a 1st or more because of not being rentals and the acquiring team being able to keep them beyond a single playoff run. I don't think Brown would have been any different. Likely could have got a 1st+ more for him at the deadline.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
He likely wouldn't have guessed that Melnyk was going to die and that his daughters were going to open their wallet. You don't make trades on those assumptions.
Dorion actually stated that he spoke with EM in the past and that moves (like we saw this summer) were part of the grand scheme for FYOUS. Seriously, he said that it was unfortunate that EM died and made it seem like that’s why these moves were happening now. Apparently EM was on board and it wasn’t because of his death that this is happening. Or at least that’s how Dorion explained it.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
With Seattle acquiring Bjorkstrand they are basically out of money to sign Klingberg. Thought they'd be the ones to sign him.

There are so few teams with cap space right now, and Klingberg just isn't a fit on teams like ANA, BUF, ARZ, etc... that do have the space for him.

Hopefully we'll be able to add him on a bargain short-term contract. He's not the perfect fit but it sure beats dealing a 1st + Greig + more for Chychrun.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Dorion actually stated that he spoke with EM in the past and that moves (like we saw this summer) were part of the grand scheme for FYOUS. Seriously, he said that it was unfortunate that EM died and made it seem like that’s why these moves were happening now. Apparently EM was on board and it wasn’t because of his death that this is happening. Or at least that’s how Dorion explained it.
I do believe that spending was part of FYOUS, but that was also supposed to start last year so who really knows what's going on. I don't think it's a coincidence this is happening now that Eugene is gone.

PD is still employed by the Melnyk family, he's not going to bury them, he's going to say the right thing.

Reactions: slamigo

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
With Seattle acquiring Bjorkstrand they are basically out of money to sign Klingberg. Thought they'd be the ones to sign him.

There are so few teams with cap space right now, and Klingberg just isn't a fit on teams like ANA, BUF, ARZ, etc... that do have the space for him.

Hopefully we'll be able to add him on a bargain short-term contract. He's not the perfect fit but it sure beats dealing a 1st + Greig + more for Chychrun.
Buffalo is still a wildcard to acquire Klingberg, IMO.

Their rebuild is trending upwards. They have Dahlin and Power on the left side long-term and only Jokiharju and Lyubuskin on the right. A lot of their older players on bad contracts are gone. Only Skinner is left and he had a bounce back season. Okposo is gone next year too and they only have a 38.5M cap hit.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Buffalo is still a wildcard to acquire Klingberg, IMO.

Their rebuild is trending upwards. They have Dahlin and Power on the left side long-term and only Jokiharju and Lyubuskin on the right. A lot of their older players on bad contracts are gone. Only Skinner is left and he had a bounce back season. Okposo is gone next year too and they only have a 38.5M cap hit.

Last thing they need is another offensive defenseman. Dahlin and Power will QB their top 2 powerplays and Jokiharju can step in if injuries occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad