Free Agency Episode 2 - The Attack Of The Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I don't feel the Caps have nearly enough cap space to do this this year nor does it make any sense whatsoever IMO to just gloss over this issue by saying they can make space later as so many are saying. Also I think the Caps are in a lot better shape with respect to being able to make a reasonable top 6 forward group with what they have now compared to their ability to put together a reasonable top 4 blueline.

We have a top 6 winger coming back from a major lower body injury.
We have an injury prone top 6 winger coming off a 5 goal season.
We're moving a top 6 winger to 2C.

Taking nothing away from the defense, there's a lot of room for disaster up front.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
So as far as I can see they need a dman that can play in their top four more than they need a second line center. We do have "options" for second line center but I don't see any "options" for a top four d-man that currently is in the organization.

Judging by Orlov's play in Hershey last year I would say he is not quite there yet (if he ever will be).

That being said there aren't really any "top four" dmen available at this point but there are a few guys who could play in that position and in my opinion do a more effective job than Erskine.

Toni Lydman

Ron Hainsey

Ryan Whitney (if he can stay healthy)

Liberati0n*

Not that it really matters, OP, but the plural of "UFA" is "UFAs," not "UFA's." Also someone said a few times that Ward makes $4M. He makes 3.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The only player I'd consider trading for Burmistrov is Ward, and that's mostly as a cap clearing move. The kid has all the upside in the world, but hasn't been able to translate that into production in the NHL. He's a great buy low target for a rebuilding team in search of pieces, but the Caps aren't a rebuilding team. Trading players who can definitely produce for ones who might be able to produce is taking a step backwards. If we're giving up quality roster players, we need to be sure that we're filling a need.

e; Tallinder back to Buffalo for peanuts. Only one year @$3.375M left. Workable, wish McPhee would have tried to make a move for him.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Taking nothing away from the defense, there's a lot of room for disaster up front.
Agreed. In isolation it comes down to whether Carlson can carry a pairing more than Erat can carry a scoring line and I'd expect the former over the later (at least in the regular season). To be fair, carrying a scoring line is incredibly difficult and something only elite offensive players can do. Maybe more disciplined possession habits help them across the board but I'm skeptical they're ever really going to put in the required work to make that happen.

They're far more likely to find a capable 4D in the $2-3M range compared to what's needed to help out on the second line but given their makeup up front they might as well forego a modest D upgrade and groom Orlov (while developing Perreault and Johansson at center). If that impairs their near-term record next year then, well, tough. They're not going anywhere with Laich at 2C or whatever 4D they're likely to sign anyway. They need a long-term vision above and beyond the draft itself and to stay true to it. Shortcutting that process and plugging it whatever mediocre finished products that are out there isn't the answer, nor is deluding themselves into thinking that they're closer than they really are.

Free agency to me at this point really doesn't even matter. The changes they need to make are pretty fundamental.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
The only player I'd consider trading for Burmistrov is Ward, and that's mostly as a cap clearing move. The kid has all the upside in the world, but hasn't been able to translate that into production in the NHL. He's a great buy low target for a rebuilding team in search of pieces, but the Caps aren't a rebuilding team. Trading players who can definitely produce for ones who might be able to produce is taking a step backwards. If we're giving up quality roster players, we need to be sure that we're filling a need.

e; Tallinder back to Buffalo for peanuts. Only one year @$3.375M left. Workable, wish McPhee would have tried to make a move for him.

Would love this deal even more than Laich for Burmistrov. I wonder just how hard it would really be to pry him away? I mean he's a former top 10 with tons of talent still visible. Maybe I'll ask Jet posters.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Im so glad Ive reached that point of not expecting anything from this dip **** owner and GM. That trade deadline deal was one of the biggest let downs ever. On the other hand its depressing knowing this team isnt going anywhere with this mangement.

why was the Forsberg/erat deal such a letdown?

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com

Erat played like 2 games and has a huge cap hit for next season. Caps gave up what will surely be an NHL player for an older vet who will be gone sooner rather than later. You know, all the stuff already mentioned.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I don't share your confidence in MOJO, I don't think he's physically or mentally strong to handle the physical side of the NHL. MOJO is a younger version of Tomas Fleischmann, when the game gets physical he disappears and those freakin drop passes of his:banghead:

Caps scape goat list:
2011 - Tomas Fleischmann
2012 - David Steckel
2013 - Jeff Schultz
2014 - Marcus Johansson

I agreer, Ref. I strongly dislike Flash and Schultz as players. Steckel was better because he knew role was limited to face-offs and he never complained. Mojo is the best of this bad lot. But he does disappear and I don't see him as a valuable player long-term.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I also agree, Ref, with your earlier post that the Caps will be exposed in the new division. I say, "Bring on the losses!"

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
who is the injury prone winger?

Erat games missed per season:

2004 6
2006 2
2007 14
2008 6
2009 11
2010 8
2011 18
2012 11

And as a Capital in 2013, he played in 9 games and was injured for 10. And he's on the wrong side of 30.

He's no Mike Green, but I expect him to miss about a quarter of next season.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
A team that perpetually underachieves and humiliates itself somehow remains intact.

Joke management.

tmljeh19*

Eklund says washington and florida have "definite interest" in Damien Brunner

I'm sure we had an interest in a lot of people. Big differnece is making a move for them. You think GMGM will give him the 3-3.5 he wants?

butters8814*

Is mcmoron even trying? With his dumb trades, and signings of ward and laich, handcuffed this team. And now it seems like he has given up.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
A team that perpetually underachieves and humiliates itself somehow remains intact.

Joke management.

This.

Also, stop posting Eklund rumors for crying out loud. He knows as much about what's going on in the league as GMGM does on building a cup winner.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
My god. McPhee is going to corner the entire winger market.

trading-places.jpg

Liberati0n*

This.

Also, stop posting Eklund rumors for crying out loud. He knows as much about what's going on in the league as GMGM does on building a cup winner.

People post them with the qualifier "take it for what it's worth." It's worth nothing, so you shouldn't have posted it. Posting Eklund repeatedly is way more deserving of an infraction than flaming.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

no letdown here... letdown suggests you thought that the deal had done more positives for the caps. Every one pretty much hated the deal since the hour we waited after the deadline to find out the damage.

no letdown bc we all knew how bad it was

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
This.

He is a proffessional and it is his job to know these things so don't act like you know everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad