STL David Perron for EDM Magnus Paajarvi + 2014 2nd

Capgeek UFA List
CBC Free Agency Tracker

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Any discussions with the Jets would also have to involve Burmistrov and his agent and what their intentions might be. I would think coming to the Caps and having the likes of Ovechkin, Orlov and Kuznetsov on the team would be somewhat attractive to Burmistrov.

That's true I hadn't considered that. Not sure I made that trade though. I know we're all a little down on MoJo but realistically he has scored the 5th most points of anyone in his draft class thus far. He's also played in fewer games than Burmistrov and scored quite a few more points than him. I've only seen him pay in games against us and I was impressed with his talent level. I think they can both be solid players but right now we'd be in the same boat with both and I think MoJo has outperformed him thus far.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
That's true I hadn't considered that. Not sure I made that trade though. I know we're all a little down on MoJo but realistically he has scored the 5th most points of anyone in his draft class thus far. He's also played in fewer games than Burmistrov and scored quite a few more points than him. I've only seen him pay in games against us and I was impressed with his talent level. I think they can both be solid players but right now we'd be in the same boat with both and I think MoJo has outperformed him thus far.

I think MOJO's point production in part can be due to who he has had the opportunity to play with. I don't think Burmistrov has been surrounded by skilled players such as Ovie and Backstrom. Like I noted earlier, you could have Burmistrov paired with Kuznetsov on the second line beginning next season and they just might have some chemistry similar to Ovie and Backstrom on the first line.

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Would the Jets take Laich for Burmistrov? Seems to me they would need a center coming back the other way.

I think MOJO's point production in part can be due to who he has had the opportunity to play with. I don't think Burmistrov has been surrounded by skilled players such as Ovie and Backstrom. Like I noted earlier, you could have Burmistrov paired with Kuznetsov on the second line beginning next season and they just might have some chemistry similar to Ovie and Backstrom on the first line.

I would be more willing to do this if the Jets would take it. I'm not ready to give up on MoJo yet. I think he's going to be a pretty good player for us in the not to distant future.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If Burmistrov truly wants out it shouldn't take a roster player coming back (unless the Caps want to dish salary). A pick and/or a prospect ought to do it. I don't think it's a stellar fit but, sort of along the lines of Loktionov last year albeit likely not as cheap, they should buy low on a center or two when circumstances arise.

If the Jets are confident that Schiefele will line up at center next year they don't absolutely need one coming back.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I would be more willing to do this if the Jets would take it. I'm not ready to give up on MoJo yet. I think he's going to be a pretty good player for us in the not to distant future.

I don't share your confidence in MOJO, I don't think he's physically or mentally strong to handle the physical side of the NHL. MOJO is a younger version of Tomas Fleischmann, when the game gets physical he disappears and those freakin drop passes of his:banghead:

Caps scape goat list:
2011 - Tomas Fleischmann
2012 - David Steckel
2013 - Jeff Schultz
2014 - Marcus Johansson

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
You think Burmistrov would blossom here?

Given our lack of leadership/veterans/structure/accountability etc, I doubt it.

Johansson or Laich (assuming he comes back from injury) are better options.

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I don't share your confidence in MOJO, I don't think he's physically or mentally strong to handle the physical side of the NHL. MOJO is a younger version of Tomas Fleischmann, when the game gets physical he disappears and those freakin drop passes of his:banghead:

Caps scape goat list:
2011 - Tomas Fleischmann
2012 - David Steckel
2013 - Jeff Schultz
2014 - Marcus Johansson

The same Tomas Fleischmann who's a 60+ point player on a bad team that he led in scoring two years in a row? Those type of guys can play in my top 6 any day of the week.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The coaching staff's ability to develop is maybe the biggest crucial factor at this stage and Burmistrov would make for an interesting developmental challenge for Oates. He's not ideal but any ideal target will cost considerably more to acquire. His consistency, speed and toughness are all questions but he can kill penalties and has a decent positional/instinctual foundation to build upon. It's the sort of situation they ought to be targeting at the position and there isn't another young change of scenary type that comes to mind at the moment.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Given our lack of leadership/veterans/structure/accountability etc, I doubt it.

Johansson or Laich (assuming he comes back from injury) are better options.

Looking towards the future, next year

Erat - Backstrom - Ovechkin
Laich/? - Burmistrov - Kuznetsov

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site

Caps scape goat list:
2011 - Tomas Fleischmann
2012 - David Steckel
2013 - Jeff Schultz
2014 - Marcus Johansson

Im not certain thats accurate.....

I feel there is a big difference between "disappearing" and "not producing"....I wouldnt say 90 "disappears" in the playoffs. He's scored some big playoff goals and just needs to become more consistent. People expect him to be the player he could be at 27-28 when he is 22.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I think you need to go back and look at Johansson's production after his return from ir. he first earned the promotion to the first line after playing a number of games on lower lines and playing at a point per game pace.

there's no question that playing with ovechkin turns touches into assists, but a good chunk of his points came from scoring on a different line or 4 on 4 situations.

its also worth mentioning that some of those touches that became assists on ovechkin goals were touches that required Johansson's skills and weren't just cheap points that any plug would have acquired.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
here's a good cross section. this is Johansson's march scoring
12 games. 4 goals 7 assists. its pretty clear that ovechkin plays a part but only 2 assists were on ovechkin goals.
oleksy from chimera and Johansson
johansson unassisted
ovechkin from Johansson and backstrom
Johansson from perreault and ward
Johansson from ovechkin
backstrom from ovechkin and Johansson
ovechkin from Johansson and alzner
green from orlov and Johansson
Carlson from Johansson and ovechkin
backstrom from hillen and Johansson
Johansson unassisted

edit: oh...and the drop passes that you hate so much. as one of the faster players in the league and often the fastest player in the game, the defense backs up so he doesn't go by them. right? its a basic. the defense backing up creates space BEHIND HIM. he has been coached his entire life to push the defense back into the defense zone and drop pass the puck to the shooters. That will include his NHL coaches.

Last edited:

KenAF

Mar 27, 2008
Washington, DC
I too want to keep Johannson and would prefer to trade Laich, or Ward (cap dump) plus a 2nd round pick, for Burmistrov. Laich isn't likely to improve much at 30yo where Johannson still has a fair amount of upside, I think.

Winnepeg has close to $20M in cap space, although they do have a number of RFAs to sign.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Johansson's a guy that is going to appear to suddenly put it together when he gets strong enough.

While I don't think his game resembles Fleischmann's much at all, I see a similar turn around when he has that great offseason (putting on 7 pounds of muscle, or whatever it was for Flash). When he's able to win his share of battles along the boards, protect the puck from defenders, and body offensive players off the puck in the defensive zone, he'll be a much, much better possession player.

But that huge offseason gain shouldn't be relied upon by management, and the top 6 should be addressed from the outside of the organization.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
We'll find out soon enough if Johansson can both produce from center AND provide consistent offense with lesser linemates.

There's no doubt he's reasonably productive with Ovechkin. He's follows in the proud tradition of Zubrus, Clark and Kozlov.

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
If MOJO can put on muscle and work on his strength and puck handling, he will be very good. But for now he irritates the heck out me

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Im not certain thats accurate.....

I feel there is a big difference between "disappearing" and "not producing"....I wouldnt say 90 "disappears" in the playoffs. He's scored some big playoff goals and just needs to become more consistent. People expect him to be the player he could be at 27-28 when he is 22.

I agree with this. sometimes I think people get a thought in their head and reality has a hard time changing their point of view.

In this past rangers series Johansson had two points. same as ovechkin. he scored the game winning goal in game two on an only assist from oleksy. he had the primary assist on the only regulation goal in game 6. goal scored by ward.

is that disappearing?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We'll find out soon enough if Johansson can both produce from center AND provide consistent offense with lesser linemates.

There's no doubt he's reasonably productive with Ovechkin. He's follows in the proud tradition of Zubrus, Clark and Kozlov.

no offense, but has zubrus proved to be a pretty solid player? kozlov was also had a career solidly in the top 6 and productive. maybe clark was a flash in the pan. with the injury its hard to say how that would have turned out.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
My main problem with Johansson is that he appears to have no idea when he's about to get squeezed off the puck, and when it happens it often looks like a surprise (and a very painful one at that).

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
... and the top 6 should be addressed from the outside of the organization.

I don't feel the Caps have nearly enough cap space to do this this year nor does it make any sense whatsoever IMO to just gloss over this issue by saying they can make space later as so many are saying. Also I think the Caps are in a lot better shape with respect to being able to make a reasonable top 6 forward group with what they have now compared to their ability to put together a reasonable top 4 blueline.

WcRoenick97

Apr 6, 2008
D.C.
Im so glad Ive reached that point of not expecting anything from this dip **** owner and GM. That trade deadline deal was one of the biggest let downs ever. On the other hand its depressing knowing this team isnt going anywhere with this mangement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad