Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Vegas considers anything

They're not attached to Mark Stone even if it gave them a chance at another cup

Most ruthless team in the league.
When they got, Marc Methot, in the expansion draft, first question they asked him was, can we get your 10 team no-trade list.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Sens may have been able to keep Stone if they offered him a NMC. It's possible he still rejects their contract and wants to leave, but you can't really expect a franchise player to sign a massive contract with a budget rebuilding team and feel secure in the idea that they won't try to flip him at one point. Especially since early on, the Senators were leaning more towards offering a mid-term deal, not max-term.

I don't think Stone ever outright said the NMC was the issue, but it was reported that the Senators didn't offer him one. Karlsson publicly roasted the Senators extension offer to him. Stating that it was never close and they probably would have traded him anyways.

I agree with not offering every Hamonic a NMC, but there is a certain level of franchise player who gets one. Especially when your team is a shit show and you need some added assurance that if the player chooses to forgo free agency and buy in, they will have the ability to control their destination if the ownership doesn't live up to whatever promises they make.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Would you trade Sanderson for Stone right now? We probably don’t get Sanderson if we keep Stone. Let go of the past.
Well, it wouldn't be Sanderson for Stone straight up, it would be Sanderson for Stone and whoever we'd have picked instead of Sanderson, so maybe one of Quinn, Jarvis, Lundell, or Askarov for example.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
When they got, Marc Methot, in the expansion draft, first question they asked him was, can we get your 10 team no-trade list.

People are right about Vegas, but that was a different situation entirely. They weren't drafting just to build a team. They were taking the most valuable asset off each team and flipping them.

You can make an argument about that not being the right thing to do, because players are humans and all that stuff, but it's probably the right way strategically to run an expansion draft.

In terms of people talking about Vegas not being attached to Stone. They gave him a NMC and a front loaded contract loaded with buyout proof signing bonuses. They did the same thing to Pietrangelo. They are married to both of those players.

To put that into perspective, no other player they signed has been given the same level of certainty. Hanifin has a NTC, but not a NMC. So they could theoretically threaten to waive him like Tampa did with McDonagh. Hertl's NMC changes to a NMC+modified NTC after a few years. Eichel has a NMC, but they didn't sign that contract, and he doesn't have any signing bonuses for the majority of the contract, so they would still have an out through a buyout.

That is not an argument that they would move on from any of those players, but the point is that every day Mark Stone wakes up he knows there is nothing Vegas can do to get rid of him. They are married. He controls his destiny with that contract.

Would you trade Sanderson for Stone right now? We probably don’t get Sanderson if we keep Stone. Let go of the past.

You can probably twist any argument that way, but what if Mark Stone was so good on Ottawa that it convinced Sanderson who idolized Stone to switch to wing, and then he dropped in the draft to say 30? Then when he came back to Ottawa because we already had Mark Stone, he switched back to D, but he was also better because he bulked up big time to play wing (He is too skinny, and board play would be a concern in deep), so now he is like a 285 lbs monster but also a top pairing D.

It's a shame Melnyk traded Stone so we couldn't see what a 285 lbs Jake Sanderson could do in this league.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Logan Thompson is starting for Vegas again tonight.

With how tight they are on cap space, maybe they would consider trading Adin Hill?

As a fan of both teams, absolutely no to Hill. He is not the Sens answer. You want to know why Thompson is starting? Cause Hill has let in 3+ goals in 14 of his last 16 starts or something like that. Either he has turned back into the Hill he was before getting traded to the Knights or he is playing injured or just cant focus properly cause he is scared of getting re-injured.

Too much of a risk to trade for him. Better off just sticking with Korpisalo if Hill is going to be a target to fix the Sens goaltending issues.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Ok. But that's different than saying Brady won't sign if Stone isn't signed. Which is what whatshisnutz was saying.
I don't recall tkachuk's camp ever saying that but Keith was very vocal about needing to sign Stone

Reactions: Loach

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Poulin said on TSN1200 that we had conversations at the deadline for hockey deals but there were a couple teams who were on the edge of the playoffs and didn’t want to disrupt the team. He obviously didn’t name anyone but if it’s Chychrun they could have the deal they want in place, and maybe that’s why he wasn’t traded prior.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Poulin said on TSN1200 that we had conversations at the deadline for hockey deals but there were a couple teams who were on the edge of the playoffs and didn’t want to disrupt the team. He obviously didn’t name anyone but if it’s Chychrun they could have the deal they want in place, and maybe that’s why he wasn’t traded prior.
chychrun to one of the florida teams is my guess

Reactions: Duncstar

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Sam Bennett looks better than he is because he's playing with elite talent like Barkov, MTkachuk, and Bobo finally living up to his contract.

The dude can't even do a pullup and takes cheapshots all the time. We don't need to be spending more time in the penalty box, especially for a guy who can't crack 50 points in one of the highest scoring eras. He's a career 47% on the faceoffs too.

Let's not become Brian Burke and look for Grit and Truculence and forget to acquire players that can actually play hockey.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Poulin was interesting on tsn 1200 yesterday. Talked a lot about chemistry and slotting yesterday with subtle hints at our targets. We have all done this exercise but a slotting change for Joseph (so 1st or 2nd line LW player brought in) seems a target, and obviously a top 4 RD.

Can't see Tanev so it has to be Pesce or trade. I do wonder about trading Batherson while his value is very high for a need at LW, D or goalie. Norris they will try at wing this season if they're locking up Pinto to the 5-6 year contract people are speculating on.

Poulin threw out #s of trade; he said for ex I could say 3 or 5, made it very clear it wasn't about the number but about the right targets, team chemistry, and the whole fabric. I had thought we were in for a big turn over but it might not be as explosive as first thought.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I really hope the Canes are dumb enough to let Pesce go. He's absolutely worth $7 million. If they don't extend Skjei, Tony D, and Teravainen, and try to move Kotkaniemi they can easily extend him, Jarvis, and Necas.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I really hope the Canes are dumb enough to let Pesce go. He's absolutely worth $7 million. If they don't extend Skjei, Tony D, and Teravainen, and try to move Kotkaniemi they can easily extend him, Jarvis, and Necas.
Think we’d regret that contract pretty quick tbh. On top of that 7 million is gonna limit us from doing other things this summer.

Tanev is my ideal choice. I get the risk of it since he’s 35 but he’s still really good and I like the idea of a three year term vs others that we’ll have to commit more money to for longer. Ideally you slide him to the bottom pairing in that final year and you’ve got some time to draft or find a top 4 guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad