GDT: Free Agency Day - 7/13 @ 12pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
chances Rangers trade for Michael DiPietro for some future goalie depth? Working with Benoit could help him rediscover his game. I think he has some potential.

DiPetro for Gauhtier?? would be a good time to buy low on DiPetro

I don’t think he has any NHL potential. Not even as a backup, not very good. Not sure why there’s so much talk about him. You’re better off trying to find another project from Europe like we did with Georgiev

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The fixation this thread has with Motte is really something. He didn’t even do much for us last season.

Who knows what would’ve happened had he not been injured, but we’ve also got decent fourth liners under contract. Enough for multiple variations of a fourth line.

This is like the perennial Brian Boyle question all over again, except worse. Boyle had measurable success with this team, albeit a long time ago. Motte hasn’t.
Motte is probably one of the better 4th liners you will find in the league. I don't think the fixation is that unwarranted, people want him on the team, but at the same time if we don't sign him I don' think anyone is going to be up in arms and cancel their season tickets.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
They have NMCs running up to July 1, 2024.
Doesn't matter.

If you work with either player, both can be traded before the NMC's end.

The clause is there to prevent them from going anywhere they do not want to go.

It offers the players absolute certainty on their next destination.

If they are no longer in the teams plans, they will waive for the right spot.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
chances Rangers trade for Michael DiPietro for some future goalie depth? Working with Benoit could help him rediscover his game. I think he has some potential.

DiPetro for Gauhtier?? would be a good time to buy low on DiPetro

There's no spot for him. Shesty and Halak in the NHL. Domingue and Garand the likely pair in Hartford and Lindbom in the ECHL.

If the Rangers decide to send Garand back to the WHL, or Lindbom back to Sweden, then we'll need another goalie, but I don't see either happening.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
There's no spot for him. Shesty and Halak in the NHL. Domingue and Garand the likely pair in Hartford and Lindbom in the ECHL.

If the Rangers decide to send Garand back to the WHL, or Lindbom back to Sweden, then we'll need another goalie, but I don't see either happening.
Depth is always an option especially since Halak is older and been injury prone as of late.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
There is also the other end of the spectrum on twitter who act like there is no salary cap. They have idea how this shit works and these people are hosting podcasts. Why can't the Rangers sign this guy or that guy? They have no salary cap space.

And the people who don’t care about trying to plan for the future at all, all they care about is this season. Because Kakko didn’t score 60 points this season he’s barely worth having apparently.

The guy who has been on our top line for a decade and never has gotten it done has to be given yet another chance at all costs though.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
The Rangers need cap space for 23-24 and 24-25.

The cap will be flat for 22-23 and 23-24. Hopefully, the salary cap will start increasing starting in 24-25.

Chytil is not part of their current commitments.

Goodrow is.
Its gonna explode for the 2024 free agent class. I have a close friend in the league who just turned down a 6 year deal and opted for a 2 year one so he can hit ufa 2024. Agents are guiding players with this in mind

Reactions: RGY and mas0764

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Yeah 10 goals in the playoff is invisible. What team are you watching? Its not amazing asset management, Its palin stupid. You don;t trade your leading goal scorer and team leader in the prime of his career under a reasonable contract to pay guys that still have not proven themselves. This is reality not fantasy hockey.
Palin stupid. That’s some next level stupid eh?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
See and this is exactly why I can't help but laugh at the fans in this forum that turn around and kill the rangers for going out and signing and trading for bread and trouba. Sitting here killing New Jersey for being a Mickey Mouse franchise because they're stuck in the purgatory of having all these elite draft picks but not being able to actually be in a position to compute for a playoff position. We would be in the same exact position. That's why I can't help but laugh when everybody starts trying to criticize what the rangers have done. If we look at this more objectively, the rangers would be absolutely fine cap wise if one of two things that happened: either the cap kept rising the way it was supposed to without COVID, or Adam Fox doesn't turn into a top 10 defenseman in the league and gets paid like one. You can't do anything about the first one and are you really going to bitch about the second one? And I don't really want to hear anything anymore about guys being overpaid by a million dollars because in the grand scheme of things those salaries were budgeted based on projections for the cap rising. He can't do anything about it after COVID hits

No one is bitching about originally doing those things, but you also are now in a position due to Covid where you are gonna have to move on from someone (Kreider or Trouba) earlier than expected and some people can’t accept that fact.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
No one is bitching about originally doing those things, but you also are now in a position due to Covid where you are gonna have to move on from someone (Kreider or Trouba) earlier than expected and some people can’t accept that fact.
I think most people would be fine with moving on from Trouba when the times comes.

Kreider is just a different story. He’s home grown and scored f***ing 50 goals last year. He’s on a bargain contract for what he brings.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
And the people who don’t care about trying to plan for the future at all, all they care about is this season. Because Kakko didn’t score 60 points this season he’s barely worth having apparently.

The guy who has been on our top line for a decade and never has gotten it done has to be given yet another chance at all costs though.
Hfboards, the only place on earth where a guy who scores 52 goals and then has 16 points in 20 playoff games has never gotten it done. The same guy also has the all-time franchise record for playoff goals

I think most people would be fine with moving on from Trouba when the times comes.

Kreider is just a different story. He’s home grown and scored f***ing 50 goals last year. He’s on a bargain contract for what he brings.
Hes a bargain if he scores 30 goals, let alone 50

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

I can see the argument for either. Trouba had a pretty lousy playoffs all things considered for his $8m. Other than KO’ing two guys he was actually relatively mediocre. And we have guys who can do what he does RELATIVELY soon in our pipeline in spades.

Kreider is both more unique, less expensive, a long time favorite, we have less depth at forward in our prospect pool, etc, but what depth we do have is at LW and his inability to play RW and the fanbase’s complete reluctance to consider pairing with him anyone but Zibanejad so that Lafreniere can benefit is annoying. He would (could) also return way more in trade coming off a 50 goal season (that he likely won’t replicate) with term. The haul could be enticing.

Hfboards, the only place on earth where a guy who scores 52 goals and then has 16 points in 20 playoff games has never gotten it done. The same guy also has the all-time franchise record for playoff goals

Hes a bargain if he scores 30 goals, let alone 50

Chris Kreider is a career underachiever and one season hasn’t changed a damn thing. I’m tired of the guy being on our top line all the time frankly, I want elite talent there and he’s not it and has never been it.

He’s a nice player…. If he could finally be relegated to the middle six where he belongs on a truly elite team.

HFboards Rangers forum, the only place on earth where a career 25 goal scorer is a complete untouchable simply because he has tenure.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I can see the argument for either. Trouba had a pretty lousy playoffs all things considered for his $8m. Other than KO’ing two guys he was actually relatively mediocre. And we have guys who can do what he does RELATIVELY soon in our pipeline in spades.

Kreider is both more unique, less expensive, a long time favorite, we have less depth at forward in our prospect pool, etc, but what depth we do have is at LW and his inability to play RW and the fanbase’s complete reluctance to consider pairing with him anyone but Zibanejad so that Lafreniere can benefit is annoying. He would (could) also return way more in trade coming off a 50 goal season (that he likely won’t replicate) with term. The haul could be enticing.
I’m open to soliciting and assessing a return for any player, but there are a lot of considerations besides just a talent for talent comparison when thinking about trading players like Kreider.

Trouba is a much more straightforward proposition for me. He was brought in and paid to be this team’s 1D. Fox fell out of the sky. The calculus changed. He fortunately is still a good player, we just can’t afford him to play the role he’s assigned here.

I am also on record repeatedly here with my preference to trade Panarin if we’re going down that road. I think the long history of Stanley Cup winners not having $12M dollar players on the roster is meaningful data. It’s just so hard to pay a winger that kind of salary, especially a pretty one dimensional one.

I’d really just rather Gallant manage ice time a bit better with respect to the kids and figure out a way to circumvent the cap like all the other good teams do.

Reactions: mas0764

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Eh, maybe. A lot can happen in a couple years. Injuries happen, other things. It's good to have an idea for the future but it is silly to think you know what will happen even by next year. There are so many variables in this league.

And yes, many people were and have been "bitching about those things," a lot of people can't stop complaining that trouba, Kreider, panarin are rangers today.

Reactions: MrAlmost

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022

Chris Kreider is a career underachiever and one season hasn’t changed a damn thing. I’m tired of the guy being on our top line all the time frankly, I want elite talent there and he’s not it and has never been it.

He’s a nice player…. If he could finally be relegated to the middle six where he belongs on a truly elite team.

HFboards Rangers forum, the only place on earth where a career 25 goal scorer is a complete untouchable simply because he has tenure.
Lol, first line isnt going to be all 40 goal scorers. He has scored at a 20g/season pace since the day you stepped foot in this league. There is literally no world in which hes not a bonafide top 6 forward. Youre insane to even make the case otherwise

Reactions: McRanger92

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If both K'Andre Miller and Alexis Lafreniere have better seasons, moving Goodrow will not be nearly enough.

His salary AND the dead space coming off the books may be enough to lock down Lafreniere alone.

Where is the other 5-6+ coming from to also retain Miller?

Honestly, I'd be prepared for moving both Goodrow AND Trouba next summer

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
If both K'Andre Miller and Alexis Lafreniere have better seasons, moving Goodrow will not be nearly enough.

His salary AND the dead space coming off the books may be enough to lock down Lafreniere alone.

Where is the other 5-6+ coming from to also retain Miller?

Honestly, I'd be prepared for moving both Goodrow AND Trouba next summer
Laff and miller arent arb eligible coming off elc’s. We can get bridges on both

Reactions: duhmetreE

UnparalledPark

Jun 15, 2022
It's funny that people here were willing to empty the tank for pld and killing the team for not doing it and now his agent flat says he wants to play for the habs
Obviously teams would not “empty the tank“ for him without at least a 4 or 5 year commitment. He could play for Florida for 4 years and go to Montreal when He’s 28.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The fixation this thread has with Motte is really something. He didn’t even do much for us last season.

Who knows what would’ve happened had he not been injured, but we’ve also got decent fourth liners under contract. Enough for multiple variations of a fourth line.

This is like the perennial Brian Boyle question all over again, except worse. Boyle had measurable success with this team, albeit a long time ago. Motte hasn’t.

I agree, i liked what he brought but we can replace him with an entry level player.

Reactions: Avery16

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Laff and miller arent arb eligible coming off elc’s. We can get bridges on both
I think Miller is the one they give term to (6 years) and Lafreniere is a short deal, but no bridge deal. Look at the other recent high picks that exploded. If Lafreniere gets around 50-60 points, he will want a 4 year deal that gets him right to UFA at the youngest age possible.

With Miller I think he could be convinced to take the term. He'll never PPQB to get the points. Maybe the 2nd unit. His biggest value is as a defender, not a scorer.

6 years 4.5M AAV for Miller. I'd offer it this summer. Fox and Miller are the current and future on defense. I'd be looking him in ASAP

Reactions: McRanger92

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
You may be right but with the cap going up we can probably afford 5x5 for a 3C and thats probably what chytil commands. So maybe you try to get him on another bridge type of deal and if he doesnt accept then you head to arbitration and see how that plays out.

I still think we find a way to move trouba next offseason to free up $8 mill. Trouba for Hronek and then flip hronek for a draft pick (perhaps a 2nd to recoup one of the 2nds we gave away to move nemeth).

Then we can afford to extend chytil, laff, miller, kravtsov. Ideally you wanna lock the first 3 up long term but functionally due to the cap, bridge type deals may make more sense except for chytil as hed be one year from ufa which is insane to think about.

Chytil 5x5
Laff 2 x 4
Miller 2 x 2.75
Krav 2 x 2.25
Reaves 1x1

After the above in 2023-2024

Kreider-zib-laff
Panarin-trocheck-kakko
Othmann-chytil-kravtsov
Goodrow-rydahl-sykora
Reaves

Lindgren-fox
Miller-schneider
Jones-lundkvist
Vet 7th or robertson

Igor
Garand or vet backup

5 mil AAV for Chytil is insane. He’s scored 23 points 4 years in a row. He will get moved long before they pay him that much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad