GDT: Free Agency Day - 7/13 @ 12pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Seems like a problem child to me. The guy has just hit 24 and is about to FORCE his way out of his 2nd organization already. Now maybe he really is that type of guy who wants to play for his favourite team in Quebec, but imagine if things go south there?

Winnipeg is going to hand him over for a penny on the dollar. I think PLD could go as far as letting the season begin if no trade happens before one. The thing is, Montreal needs to shed some cap first as well so...
Him going to the draft with the hope that Montreal would trade for him was hilarious.

He was one step away from walking up to the stage and saying, "With the first pick in the 2022 NHL entry draft the Montreal Canadiens select...

...Pierre-Luc Dubois from the Winnipeg Jets lol"

Reactions: JimmyG89 and LOFIN

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Him going to the draft with the hope that Montreal would trade for him was hilarious.

He was one step away from walking up to the stage and saying, "With the first pick in the 2022 NHL entry draft the Montreal Canadiens select...

...Pierre-Luc Dubois from the Winnipeg Jets lol"
If I was anyone else, I wouldn't give up shit for him. He's not motivated to win. He wants to do one thing, which is play for Montreal.

Thankfully the Rangers have their guys locked in for now. People were fascinated by PLD. What makes anyone think that he signs a deal without MTL on the other end that he's giving 100%?

Pouted his was out of Columbus. Next is pouting his way out of Winnipeg. When he is a UFA, he can sign anywhere, but if I was Winnipeg, he'd be out the door ASAP.

Reactions: CLW

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Chytil is gone after this season. He will return good assets. His next contract will be too expensive to be a 3C. Trocheck commitment has him and Zib as our 1 and 2.

Goodrow can play 3C next year and the year after is when the cap should start going up. Or a short 1 or 2 year vet for cheap.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
It kind of is. My biggest playoff critique of Kreider was how much less of a factor he was in front of the net in the post season but part of that is willingness to pay an even bigger price.

Less cap space to sign Carpenter, Kakko still up in the air as is, presumably, Motte. Gotta think something else is going to happen this summer.
That comes with playing better teams with better PK's. Both Carolina and Pitt had top PK's.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Chytil is gone after this season. He will return good assets. His next contract will be too expensive to be a 3C. Trocheck commitment has him and Zib as our 1 and 2.

Goodrow can play 3C next year and the year after is when the cap should start going up. Or a short 1 or 2 year vet for cheap.
You may be right but with the cap going up we can probably afford 5x5 for a 3C and thats probably what chytil commands. So maybe you try to get him on another bridge type of deal and if he doesnt accept then you head to arbitration and see how that plays out.

I still think we find a way to move trouba next offseason to free up $8 mill. Trouba for Hronek and then flip hronek for a draft pick (perhaps a 2nd to recoup one of the 2nds we gave away to move nemeth).

Then we can afford to extend chytil, laff, miller, kravtsov. Ideally you wanna lock the first 3 up long term but functionally due to the cap, bridge type deals may make more sense except for chytil as hed be one year from ufa which is insane to think about.

Chytil 5x5
Laff 2 x 4
Miller 2 x 2.75
Krav 2 x 2.25
Reaves 1x1

After the above in 2023-2024

Kreider-zib-laff
Panarin-trocheck-kakko
Othmann-chytil-kravtsov
Goodrow-rydahl-sykora
Reaves

Lindgren-fox
Miller-schneider
Jones-lundkvist
Vet 7th or robertson

Igor
Garand or vet backup

Reactions: mas0764

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
The fixation this thread has with Motte is really something. He didn’t even do much for us last season.

Who knows what would’ve happened had he not been injured, but we’ve also got decent fourth liners under contract. Enough for multiple variations of a fourth line.

This is like the perennial Brian Boyle question all over again, except worse. Boyle had measurable success with this team, albeit a long time ago. Motte hasn’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbny

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I’m semi-disappointed that you haven’t had a post highlighting how Colorado only has 2 forwards taller than 6ft tall yet

Didn’t they have three? ;)

Seriously though, I don’t think Colorado is really a team to model yourself after just like Washington. They are in a conference that isn’t particularly strong, beat Tampa with big injury issues and worn out after playing in three straight finals, and they got two of the best players in the game and Mackinnon on a brain dead contract. It won’t be easy to achieve.

With that said, we are entering kind of a new era here for a couple of more years at least during which all teams will be very pressed. I’ve for example been pretty bearish about our chance to compete next season. But who knows, which team is ‘not’ a worse team next season? Tampa perhaps if Point is back.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
It's funny that people here were willing to empty the tank for pld and killing the team for not doing it and now his agent flat says he wants to play for the habs

Reactions: CLW

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Next season, it’s also time for the “farm” to deliver. Jones, Hajak and Robertson at LD; Nils at RD. What have we had brewing at forward? It’s not a ton.

Fox, Trouba and Schneider won’t play a total of 246 games at RD and Lindgren, Miller and whomever wins the spot out of camp for 3rd pairing LD won’t play a total of 246 games at LD next season.

It’s really important that the kids given those games that have to be covered exceed expectations. That they know what is expected from them, that they are confident, perfect form and what not.

At D I think there is reason to have high hopes. The farm is bursting at the seems and that is how you want it. I am much more concerned about our state at forward. Who fills in there? Rydahl? I think that we just must do a much better job with building up a farm there.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Next season, it’s also time for the “farm” to deliver. Jones, Hajak and Robertson at LD; Nils at RD. What have we had brewing at forward? It’s not a ton.

Fox, Trouba and Schneider won’t play a total of 246 games at RD and Lindgren, Miller and whomever wins the spot out of camp for 3rd pairing LD won’t play a total of 246 games at LD next season.

It’s really important that the kids given those games that have to be covered exceed expectations. That they know what is expected from them, that they are confident, perfect form and what not.

At D I think there is reason to have high hopes. The farm is bursting at the seems and that is how you want it. I am much more concerned about our state at forward. Who fills in there? Rydahl? I think that we just must do a much better job with building up a farm there.
Farm isnt stocked with high end talent at forward but othmann and cuylle have a chance to turn into top 6 players. Plethora of bottom 6 forwards though. Reality is our top 6 is loaded and kind of doesnt need farm talent there. Panarin, kreider, zib, laff, trocheck are all gonna be with us for at minimum the next 4 seasons, that leaves one spot open in the top 6 and its not like kakko cant progress and take that last spot.

Last edited:

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
I cant take any post seriously that has Lindgren as a cap dump... Again, a 24yo top 4 defenseman signed to a 3m aav contract.... to be used as a cap dump. His next contract may be 1m more per year when he resigns. This narritive that when he hits 30 he will be done like Girardi can continue but lets be honest thats in 6 YEARS!

Lindgren is not a cap dump.

Dont forget trading lindgren as a cap dump lol
Not many others to move to gain space, and LD might be a position of strenght in a year if Jones and Robertsson continue to progress. Lindgren should give a good return, but if we are able to get Trouba to waive his NMC instead that is a much better trade option, just a small issue that Trouba can nix any deal and we might need the space to sign Laf & Miller. Could of course trade laf or Miller instead and keep Lindgren that the season after will need a new contract.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
You are victory lapping the Devils rebuild because they traded for John Marino. They are lightyears from winning a playoff round
See and this is exactly why I can't help but laugh at the fans in this forum that turn around and kill the rangers for going out and signing and trading for bread and trouba. Sitting here killing New Jersey for being a Mickey Mouse franchise because they're stuck in the purgatory of having all these elite draft picks but not being able to actually be in a position to compute for a playoff position. We would be in the same exact position. That's why I can't help but laugh when everybody starts trying to criticize what the rangers have done. If we look at this more objectively, the rangers would be absolutely fine cap wise if one of two things that happened: either the cap kept rising the way it was supposed to without COVID, or Adam Fox doesn't turn into a top 10 defenseman in the league and gets paid like one. You can't do anything about the first one and are you really going to bitch about the second one? And I don't really want to hear anything anymore about guys being overpaid by a million dollars because in the grand scheme of things those salaries were budgeted based on projections for the cap rising. He can't do anything about it after COVID hits

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

The Rangers need cap space for 23-24 and 24-25.

The cap will be flat for 22-23 and 23-24. Hopefully, the salary cap will start increasing starting in 24-25.

Chytil is not part of their current commitments.

Goodrow is.

Reactions: Ola

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
The Rangers need cap space for 23-24 and 24-25.

The cap will be flat for 22-23 and 23-24. Hopefully, the salary cap will start increasing starting in 24-25.

Chytil is not part of their current commitments.

Goodrow is.
Would you rather buyout Goodrow or move Chytil for decent assets, assuming Chytil's next contract is similar to Goodrow's (it might even would be a little bit more unless Chytil has a bad year)?

Moving Chytil, and by the virtue of not having to pay his next contract, effectively does save for the cap.

Laf likely gets bridged and longer term extension for Miller, if I had to guess.

Or, are you thinking that BOTH Goodrow is bought out and Chytil is traded? Seems like a lot of turnover.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
It's funny that people here were willing to empty the tank for pld and killing the team for not doing it and now his agent flat says he wants to play for the habs
Could you imagine the disaster and shitshow here if we traded Chytil + 1st + ? for him and then he comes here and immediately we know even more about the Montreal obsession. Now it is a 2 year rental basically where he may end up even pulling the same lazy shift crap he did in Columbus. He'd be a time bomb.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Could you imagine the disaster and shitshow here if we traded Chytil + 1st + ? for him and then he comes here and immediately we know even more about the Montreal obsession. Now it is a 2 year rental basically where he may end up even pulling the same lazy shift crap he did in Columbus. He'd be a time bomb.
I was saying this for about a week that you couldn't take the chance with this kid doing his pouting nonsense again since he's already done it once openly and he doesn't want to be in Winnipeg already. It's just a matter of time before the same thing happens. It's like enabling a child, it worked from the first time in Columbus, of course he's going to think it's going to work for him this time as well. But hey, apparently to some character doesn't really matter anymore when you're putting real life teams together...

Reactions: RGY

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
If Drury calls up Yzerman and offers Trouba, what is Yzerman’s response? Sure we will help you out or sure, at 50% and if you attach a 1st to him? Yzerman could use those 8m elsewhere. It’s not hard to find a player to spend 8m on in this league right now.

I think it’s very unlikely that we can trade Trouba next summer. Perhaps the season after that when we get 15 options instead of at most 1-2, but remember the cap is flat up until that summer too.

Trouba has enough value that even at that contract he should return an asset instead of costing one.

Reactions: LaffyTaffy13

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
LOL

You have to be kidding me with this post right? Right?

They are NEVER buying out goodrow

Do people on this site not realize the cap is going to go up in 2 or 3 years? I mean this is just……really dumb

Unfortunately we have to resign Miller and Lafreniere and maybe Chytil and Kakko in just 1-2 years. We may not be able to wait for the cap to go up.

Trading kreider right now would be a prime example of amazing asset management. He went invisible in the playoffs and his contract is huge

Completely agree. We are flush with wings including two LWs who can play top 6 minutes with zero issue at all.

If you could flip Kreider for a haul it solves way more problems than it creates. He’s not necessary for this team to reach the playoffs and as we saw when we got there he is hardly indispensable.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
chances Rangers trade for Michael DiPietro for some future goalie depth? Working with Benoit could help him rediscover his game. I think he has some potential.

DiPetro for Gauhtier?? would be a good time to buy low on DiPetro

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad