Free Agency and Trade Thread: Off-season alive and well ... for some!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think it was a pretty successful year for him with that strong finish. I don't think he considers pulling the pin until he sees if he can make the club next training camp.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
moving on to the KHL isn't all sunshine and lollipops, you might get paid more, but those payments aren't a guarantee, language barrier, difficult to come back to the NHL, questionable team rules, and the air travel has it's own history. If it was me, all would have to be weighed before deciding to go that route.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
moving on to the KHL isn't all sunshine and lollipops, you might get paid more, but those payments aren't a guarantee, language barrier, difficult to come back to the NHL, questionable team rules, and the air travel has it's own history. If it was me, all would have to be weighed before deciding to go that route.

Add to that the declining hard cap that most KHL teams are expected to face in the very near future ($10 mil for entire teams with just 1 exemption), if an NHL team will offer a player a one-way contract of $500K+ that starts looking very attractive for a veteran or an older prospect on the bubble.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A lot of people have been focussing on what Lou might do in New York, an overlooked aspect is that Dubas also knows the players that Lou really likes on the leafs . I wonder if this will lead to any potential trade opportunities

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Have to think NYI makes a push for JVR. Good fit there I think.

Surprising to see how quiet it is considering the draft is a few days away. Other than the big deal on the weekend seems pretty quiet.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Not too many millionaires over there. This list is a couple of years old but I doubt things have changed a lot.

Report: List of 30 highest-paid KHLers revealed - Sportsnet.ca

Finnish league is way below that. I read the top paid player over there is only about 350k euros or a little over $400k US. Granted they are cap dumps but the top paid AHL players are actually pretty close to the KHL. Aaltonen was $925k on a standard NHL entry level deal thios year with no AHL drop (I think). He is just praying to be qualified now.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Surprising to see how quiet it is considering the draft is a few days away. Other than the big deal on the weekend seems pretty quiet.

Nobody has come out and said it but the own rental move was Lou's and the loafing Dutchman had to be one of his favorites or he would have moved him to fill a genuine need. Lou is an absolute hair trigger to fill the goalie hole but not so much on the back end. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to pursue JVR but the Isles have a lot of wingers and c/wingers under contract including untradeable Ladd and long term Bailey. Unless Tavares walks LL could be a bit gun shy about all those aging millions.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
My take on the "fix the leafs D" situation.

Gardiner and Horton to VGK for McNabb
Zaitsev+2nd to WSH for Niskanen and Orpik
Kapanen to CGY for Andersson

Leafs D:
Rielly-Niskanen
Dermott-Hainsey
Mcnabb-Andersson

Leafs gain assets for Gardiner while also getting out of Zaitsev's contract. Get serviceable top D in Niskanen to play with Rielly.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

Leafs D:
Rielly-Niskanen
Dermott-Hainsey
Mcnabb-Andersson

Leafs gain assets for Gardiner while also getting out of Zaitsev's contract. Get serviceable top D in Niskanen to play with Rielly.

why does Vegas do that? Dont think WSH will do that one either - if they lose Carlsson Niskanen is arguably their next best D.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
why does Vegas do that? Dont think WSH will do that one either - if they lose Carlsson Niskanen is arguably their next best D.

The WSH deal is based off the speculation that Carlson wants to return if the money is there. This would free up the money to re-sign Carlson and Kempny. The Vegas deal might be more of stretch, my thought process was Vegas takes on Horton’s dead money in exchange for a superior player in the same position that can eat big minutes and QB their PO.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Leafs D:
Rielly-Niskanen
Dermott-Hainsey
Mcnabb-Andersson

That is a terrible defense. Our top 4 is still crap (arguably worse), and our bottom pairing is not even better either. Plus we gave up Kapanen and a 2nd for all of that to happen, just to get out of a contract that did not really impact us at all AND add one of the worst contracts in the league that does impact us.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
If Nylander stays on the wing, I think a choice of Kapanen or Brown will need to be made. It's overkill to keep one of these two stuck on the 4th line when they each hold a fair bit of value that could go towards acquiring a defenseman.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
That is a terrible defense. Our top 4 is still crap (arguably worse), and our bottom pairing is not even better either. Plus we gave up Kapanen and a 2nd for all of that to happen, just to get out of a contract that did not really impact us at all AND add one of the worst contracts in the league that does impact us.

We added a top pairing D for the reigning champs, McNabb just finished playing 20 minutes a night in the SCF. Andersson is a very solid prospect who will be sheltered with a good defensive D. Hainsey bumps down and does for Dermott what he did for Rielly.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
The WSH deal is based off the speculation that Carlson wants to return if the money is there. This would free up the money to re-sign Carlson and Kempny. The Vegas deal might be more of stretch, my thought process was Vegas takes on Horton’s dead money in exchange for a superior player in the same position that can eat big minutes and QB their PO.

Fair enough. I don't even know that they would do a McNabb for Gardiner swap right now - they have plenty of mobile offensively capable D and only one McNabb. I could see the Kapanen for Andersson trade happening (or for Johnsson too).

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Nylander stays on the wing, I think a choice of Kapanen or Brown will need to be made. It's overkill to keep one of these two stuck on the 4th line when they each hold a fair bit of value that could go towards acquiring a defenseman.

Brown is cheap, but the athleticism of Johnsson and Kapanen make them keepers over him.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Fair enough. I don't even know that they would do a McNabb for Gardiner swap right now - they have plenty of mobile offensively capable D and only one McNabb. I could see the Kapanen for Andersson trade happening (or for Johnsson too).

Vegas has Engelland who plays like McNabb. Calgary would want Kapanen because they don’t have a right shot winger in their top 9.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

great, take him. That will be a albatross contract within 3 or 4 years, It's getting harder and harder to shelter the one dimensional players in this league as more skill and speed comes into teams

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Kapanen can play LW where there is 2 openings currently, it would mean grundstrom would go to the marlies which wouldn't be a bad thing.

If I had to pick though id trade Brown, don't get me wrong love browny, but Kapanen's speed and skating is elite skating. It is fast becoming the most important skill in an NHL player skating and speed, I also believe Kapanen has a lot more offense to give just needs the opportunity to stick on a scoring line. Also brown right now probably has more value in a trade and obviously is paid more, not a bad or expensive contract but saves us a little bit of $$ which will come in handy

Reactions: ToneDog

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
If the leafs end up signing Tavares then they have many options. Nylander for someone like a Hamilton, Trouba, Manson would be a trade that I’d consider then. I do appreciate the skill of Nylander and would miss him but I’m not sure that Kapanen, Johnson or Brown get someone of the level we need, even with a first.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If the leafs end up signing Tavares then the leafs have many options. Nylander for Hamilton, Trouba, Manson would be a trade that I’d consider then. I do appreciate the skill of Nylander but I’m not sure that Kapanen, Johnson or Brown get someone of the level we need.

not for Hamilton but the other 2 are probably his value, trouba especially. I haven't seen a ton of manson but the way he is talked about he must be excellent. Hamilton is pretty much a offensive dman which we have far more than enough of and is pretty soft. His value isn't much higher than a 1st and 2x 2nds he went for id pay that before giving up nylander

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If the leafs end up signing Tavares then they have many options. Nylander for someone like a Hamilton, Trouba, Manson would be a trade that I’d consider then. I do appreciate the skill of Nylander and would miss him but I’m not sure that Kapanen, Johnson or Brown get someone of the level we need, even with a first.

There's no big rush to make that kind of move though. Keep your entire core intact until you really have no choice or the offer is way too good to pass up. While the Troubas or Hamiltons are good on paper, not sure the team trading them wants to trade them anyway... so it's a little moot.

Tavares would give up the most potent and deadly offense in the entire NHL. You don't have to defend too much when your first 3 lines could be top 1 lines in almost every other city. It's exciting to think about.

Reactions: ToneDog

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Part of me misses our dysfunctional management because at least we would be trading and what not...

Just kidding, I don't miss it... but seeing the Habs and Sens making "big" trades makes you miss the excitement of trades.

It's also nice seeing our divisional rivals imploding. What an awful return for Hoffman... absolutely awful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daisy Jane

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Part of me missed our dysfunctional management because at least we would be trading and what not...

Just kidding, I don't miss it... but seeing the Habs and Sens making "big" trades makes you miss the excitement of trades.

It's also nice seeing our divisional rivals imploding.

The other edge of the knife is that Canadian teams seem to be struggling more and more with incentivizing players to play north of the border when they can live more comfortably and accomplish the same things elsewhere. Crapshows in Montreal, Edmonton, and Ottawa don't seem to be helping this.

Boom big trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad