Free Agency and Trade Thread: Off-season alive and well ... for some!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Man Hoffman for Bergman and Boedker. Talk about no trade value. Bergman is former 2nd rounder 23 RHD with 3 seasons of AHL, 20 pts last year. Could be a decent bottom pairing guy one day... But still.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Man Hoffman for Bergman and Boedker. Talk about no trade value. Bergman is former 2nd rounder 23 RHD with 3 seasons of AHL, 20 pts last year. Could be a decent bottom pairing guy one day... But still.

leafs version would've been borgman + leivo essentially

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Hard to look at that trade and think that the leafs could have easily match that without touching the good parts of the cupboard

But that whole off ice circus would have been hell in Toronto.

And then Ottawa have had a higher price for a divisional rival.

Funny how the Sens sent Hoffman as far as they could away

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Although Hoffman would have been a gem on the wing next to Matthews and Nylander, I would have to agree the price in coming to Toronto would have been higher then what SJ paid.

In the end good player but I don't think this young team needed the drama he brings. Good trade by SJ though.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Although Hoffman would have been a gem on the wing next to Matthews and Nylander, I would have to agree the price in coming to Toronto would have been higher then what SJ paid.

In the end good player but I don't think this young team needed the drama he brings. Good trade by SJ though.

Agreed. Between locking Kane up and now adding Hoffman, they're in very good shape on-ice. Wonder what they might want for that 21st OA.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Colorado avalanche are proud to select Jack Hughes,

Ottawa needs to find a way to get that pick back. They are going to be pathetic next season

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
They need to just make it simple and give Colorado this years pick. Just turn the page already

I think they have already told Colorado they are keeping this years pick. I don't think they can just change their mind and say actually have this pick. Colorado may say yes to it but its an official part of the trade Ottawa had to announce which pick they were giving.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I think they have already told Colorado they are keeping this years pick. I don't think they can just change their mind and say actually have this pick. Colorado may say yes to it but its an official part of the trade Ottawa had to announce which pick they were giving.

No. Theres a set point they have to make up their mind by. Its by a particular time on Friday (like 2pm or 4pm or whatever).

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Their thought process is probably 1) Shed cap and 2) Hopefully convince Karlsson to stay.

Boedker is not a terrible player, and may even turn into something with more ice time and opportunity in Ottawa, but I am sure Ottawa fans were hoping to get a lot more than that for Hoffman, and I am sure a lot of other teams' fans were thinking they would too.

Only helps us. Leafs were not going to pay the assets to get him, especially since it is a lot of cap space for someone who is not a core player with off-the-ice issues, while Ottawa will probably not even keep any of those assets outside of the pick beyond 2 years.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I'm really curious what would trigger this chick. People typically don't snap like that unless something specific sets them off. I wouldn't be surprised if it started off as catty fighting over status, and then just escalated.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
A) Sign Tavares (7x10)

B) Trades

To Calgary
Nylander's rights

To Toronto
Hamilton
Valimaki

To Edmonton
Gardiner
Leivo

To Toronto
Puljujarvi

Hyman - Matthews - Puljujarvi
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Kapanen - Kadri - Brown
Grundstrom - Aaltonen - Johnsson

Reilly - Hamilton
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman/Rosen - Hainsey

Anderson
Sparks

Potential future top pairing (in AHL):
Valimaki - Liljegren

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
A) Sign Tavares (7x10)

B) Trades

To Calgary
Nylander's rights

To Toronto
Hamilton
Valimaki

To Edmonton
Gardiner
Leivo

To Toronto
Puljujarvi

Kapanen - Kadri - Brown

Reilly - Hamilton
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman/Rosen - Hainsey

Anderson
Sparks

Valimaki - Liljegren
Seems like we're paying Edmonton too much, and not paying Calgary enough.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
A) Sign Tavares (7x10)

B) Trades

To Calgary
Nylander's rights

To Toronto
Hamilton
Valimaki

To Edmonton
Gardiner
Leivo

To Toronto
Puljujarvi

Kapanen - Kadri - Brown

Reilly - Hamilton
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman/Rosen - Hainsey

Anderson
Sparks

Valimaki - Liljegren

massive risk in that gardiner trade, Puljujarvi while of course has growth in him is still a long shot and has some issues to fix. We are talking about a 50 point dman here. We do not add Leivo, even though he isn't worth much and oilers add a significant piece on to of puljujarvi. He certainly wouldn't be with Matthews straight away he hasn't scored too well in his career so far

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
What does Ottawa even look like right now?

Ryan-Duchene-Stone
Boedker-Pageau-Dzingel
Paajarvi-Smith-Gaborik
Burrows-Pyatt-White

Chabot-Karlsson
Claesson-Ceci
Wolanin-Bergman
Borowiecki

Anderson-Condon

I mean if Melnyk was willing to spend some money you could salvage that to the point where they should not be headed to the bottom of the pile when they give up their pick to Colorado. Trade one of Pageau or Smith, and then use some assets + money to get a 2C, a top 6 LW and a top 4 LD and you have a decent roster. That is a lot to get, but I do not think it is impossible either. Like if you just sign Vanek and De Haan, and then trade Pageau/Smith+White/Brown (or maybe Chlapik if they are lucky)+#22 this year for ROR. I'll give them a break and say it's Chlapik, even if it means they have to add another decent prospect to the mix on top of him (i.e. Gustavsson).

Just for fun, I will say they strengthen their defense by bringing back Wideman for the 3RD.

Ryan-Duchene-Stone
Vanek-ROR-White
Boedker-Smith/Pageau-Dzingel
Burrows-Pyatt-Gaborik
Paajarvi

Chabot-Karlsson
De Haan-Ceci
Claesson-Wideman
Borowiecki/Bergman

Anderson-Condon

I mean, it's definitely not a playoff team, but I think it is a team that could get out of the basement at least. Their center group would be pretty good, so it's really a matter of whether their wing group can put things together. Ryan, Gaborik and Boedker need to get back to form as much as possible, while Vanek, Stone and Dzingel need to maintain their current play. Otherwise, if White could take a major leap forward and be a good top 6 RW next year, they could have a bubble team I guess.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
San Jose makes out like bandits again. Turned Boedker (more or less a cap dump they wanted to move out for cap space), Bergman (guy likely on waivers), a 6th and a 7th into a 2nd, 4th, a pair of 5ths and Donaghey (contract dump, but still depth to replace Bergman probably). Not a bad couple of hours for a team in a much better spot financially, contractually and with picks.

Traded Hoffman + a 7th for a 2nd, 4th and 5th to Florida. Obviously Ottawa did not want to trade him to a division rival, but then SJS did it anyways for a real Hoffman price (well close to it, but what can you expect).

What a bunch of suckers...

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I feel bad for Duchene. Wants out of Colorado so bad to win and gets traded to Ottawa of all teams and they completely tank.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
A) Sign Tavares (7x10)

B) Trades

To Calgary
Nylander's rights

To Toronto
Hamilton
Valimaki

To Edmonton
Gardiner
Leivo

To Toronto
Puljujarvi

Kapanen - Kadri - Brown

Reilly - Hamilton
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman/Rosen - Hainsey

Anderson
Sparks

Valimaki - Liljegren

I don't think we'd get Valimaki with Hamilton - too much young talent coming back. The Gardiner trade while I'd enjoy is very risky as @Walshy7 has said.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I feel bad for Duchene. Wants out of Colorado so bad to win and gets traded to Ottawa of all teams and they completely tank.

Well at least he gets to be a 1C like he wanted. Ottawa, Arizona and Montreal are the only teams where he can genuinely say that about himself. Pick your poison...

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I'm really curious what would trigger this chick. People typically don't snap like that unless something specific sets them off. I wouldn't be surprised if it started off as catty fighting over status, and then just escalated.
The way I see friends wives hate each other just for not showing up to a dinner party and hen hold that grudge forever it could have been something as simple as wearing the same dress at a charity function. They’re nuts sometimes

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
A) Sign Tavares (7x10)

B) Trades

To Calgary
Nylander's rights

To Toronto
Hamilton
Valimaki

To Edmonton
Gardiner
Leivo

To Toronto
Puljujarvi

Kapanen - Kadri - Brown

Reilly - Hamilton
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman/Rosen - Hainsey

Anderson
Sparks

Valimaki - Liljegren
Very realistic trades :sarcasm:

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
San Jose makes out like bandits again. Turned Boedker (more or less a cap dump they wanted to move out for cap space), Bergman (guy likely on waivers), a 6th and a 7th into a 2nd, 4th, a pair of 5ths and Donaghey (contract dump, but still depth to replace Bergman probably). Not a bad couple of hours for a team in a much better spot financially, contractually and with picks.

Traded Hoffman + a 7th for a 2nd, 4th and 5th to Florida. Obviously Ottawa did not want to trade him to a division rival, but then SJS did it anyways for a real Hoffman price (well close to it, but what can you expect).

What a bunch of suckers...

The best part of the deal is that cap space. Wilson is a smart GM, dude keeps that team competitive and consistently works to restock the cupboards. They still have 7 picks this year despite trading their 2nd, 3rd, and 7th. And 6 next year despite trading away their 1st and 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad