Free Agency and Trade Thread: Off-season alive and well ... for some!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The way I see friends wives hate each other just for not showing up to a dinner party and hen hold that grudge forever it could have been something as simple as wearing the same dress at a charity function. They’re nuts sometimes

But that would mean it would happen a lot more often then. One of those two wives are crazy, if not both, and if something as simple as that ticks off a lot of wives, then at the very least those two are a lot worse at hiding their contempt of each other than others.

Who cares, not our problem. We don't have to deal with Hoffman besides playing against him. Wish he would have stayed in SJ though :laugh:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Woooow San Jose totally jersey’d the Sens and now Hoffman is back in the division for salt in the wound.

Ottawa just looks ever so bad now

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The best part of the deal is that cap space. Wilson is a smart GM, dude keeps that team competitive and consistently works to restock the cupboards. They still have 7 picks this year despite trading their 2nd, 3rd, and 7th. And 6 next year despite trading away their 1st and 4th

I think he could have probably found a legit taker for Boedker + Bergman (i.e. not a cap dump deal), but I doubt he could have got anything close to what he got for him by including Hoffman in the picture.

It gives them a chance to give some of their many young wingers a shot too. Wilson rattled off a list of like 7 guys he has lined up internally to replace Boedker. Although really, Kevin Labanc is the obvious replacement and really the only one who is truly capable of being an NHL top 9 winger. The rest of them are older guys they got from Europe who are probably worse options than most of the guys we have on the Marlies right now, and then Letunov + Balcers who need some more time in the AHL before making the jump.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
The way I see friends wives hate each other just for not showing up to a dinner party and hen hold that grudge forever it could have been something as simple as wearing the same dress at a charity function. They’re nuts sometimes

Yep, maybe. Odd situation all around, though I guess now they're Florida's problem.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
A) Sign Tavares (7x10)

B) Trades

To Calgary
Nylander's rights

To Toronto
Hamilton
Valimaki

To Edmonton
Gardiner
Leivo

To Toronto
Puljujarvi

Hyman - Matthews - Puljujarvi
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Kapanen - Kadri - Brown
Grundstrom - Aaltonen - Johnsson

Reilly - Hamilton
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman/Rosen - Hainsey

Anderson
Sparks

Potential future top pairing (in AHL):
Valimaki - Liljegren

Edit:

To Calgary
Nylander's rights
Rosen
25th overall

To Toronto
Hamilton
Valimaki

To Edmonton
Gardiner

To Toronto
Puljujarvi
Rights to Ryan Strome

Better?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I think he could have probably found a legit taker for Boedker + Bergman (i.e. not a cap dump deal), but I doubt he could have got anything close to what he got for him by including Hoffman in the picture.

It gives them a chance to give some of their many young wingers a shot too. Wilson rattled off a list of like 7 guys he has lined up internally to replace Boedker. Although really, Kevin Labanc is the obvious replacement and really the only one who is truly capable of being an NHL top 9 winger. The rest of them are older guys they got from Europe who are probably worse options than most of the guys we have on the Marlies right now, and then Letunov + Balcers who need some more time in the AHL before making the jump.

Oh definitely. Maybe I should have said cap space with the picks haha. It's all a fantastic deal for him.

San Jose has always done a pretty decent job at finding value in the later rounds of drafts or in unexpected places. They'll find someone and maybe it finally allows Labanc the right time he needs to stick consistently.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Hopefully the way the Sharks played this will put to an end the stupid GM belief that they should refuse to trade with 1/4 of the NHL.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Hopefully the way the Sharks played this will put to an end the stupid GM belief that they should refuse to trade with 1/4 of the NHL.

at least if you know you are going to be a bottom feeder. If we had a player to trade I wouldn't want to strengthen the panthers who weren't that far off catching us pretty late on in the season last season. they finished 9 points back but they were relatively close for a while. In that scenario you'd be crazy to weaken yourself and strengthen a direct rival.

Ottawa though should trade with the leafs or habs if it gives them the best reutrn

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I'd look at signing Derek Ryan and Brandon Pirri, both good on the faceoff and speak to the different things the team has lost and are 55%+ on the faceoff in the last couple years. I'd have them, Aaltonnen, Lindholm and Nylander battle it out in camp and pre-season for the 2 Center spots and then keep the bottom 2/3 as depth/wingers.

That's exactly what I'm thinking as well assuming JT, Stastny or Thornton don't sign here.

I don't want the team to be trading picks for a C at the deadline again like we did with Boyle or Plekanec.

Sign a guy like Ryan, Pirri, Beagle, Nash and if Aaltonnen or Lindholm are good enough for the NHL it's a quality problem to have and they can start off at the wing in the NHL.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
That's exactly what I'm thinking as well assuming JT, Stastny or Thornton don't sign here.

I don't want the team to be trading picks for a C at the deadline again like we did with Boyle or Plekanec.

Sign a guy like Ryan, Pirri, Beagle, Nash and if Aaltonnen or Lindholm are good enough for the NHL it's a quality problem to have and they can start off at the wing in the NHL.

Pirri is not a center in this league. He's a pure winger, and not even a good one at that. I think Europe is the next stop for him, unless an AHL team brings him in to be a high end scorer.

Ryan is Bozak-lite. He's a 3C who does not play defensive minutes at all and does not really put up a ton of points either. I was surprised; I thought he played more defensive minutes, but I was wrong. I do not know where he would fit if that is the case, but it could be tough for him to find a job, and I think Lindholm is a much better option given he is great at both ends.

I do not see how a team does not give Nash a 3C job with term and dollars. The top 9 C options this year are so slim (Tavares, Stastny, Bozak, maybe Ryan and then him are really the only ones). If we were looking for a Bozak replacement, he makes sense, but he's looking for more than we would give him otherwise. Beagle may be the best option, but I think Washington will work something out to bring him back. I have been wrong before, but call it a gut feeling. Then really besides the past two or three years, Beagle has not been a 4C would be dying to get. He was average at best, and the type of guy you could get for cheap in FA every year. What if he pulls a Moore and regresses? It wouldn't be bad if it was a one year deal, but he's likely getting more than that.

I am trusting Lindholm and Aaltonen. The only uncertainty is transferring over to North American ice (for Lindholm), but if that is a problem then we still have Aaltonen, who in many ways has followed the same path as Derek Ryan before he made the NHL but is younger and much better defensively. If both of those AND Gauthier (who should be a depth forward next year at least, and still could very well put it together in the NHL) fail, then maybe the Leafs just have to invest in a 4C later on. You shouldn't be spending a 2nd round pick on a 4C at the TDL anyways.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
hearing McKenzie say we are making a pitch video even going so far as putting ice into the ACC film, makes me a little bit optimistic we may have a chance at Tavares. We wouldn't go to that trouble unless we knew we were on the shortlist of teams that will be visiting him, another insider said it seems like 5 teams will get the chance to pitch him. We must have some knowledge he will listen to our bid

Reactions: Menzinger

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
hearing McKenzie say we are making a pitch video even going so far as putting ice into the ACC film, makes me a little bit optimistic we may have a chance at Tavares. We wouldn't go to that trouble unless we knew we were on the shortlist of teams that will be visiting him, another insider said it seems like 5 teams will get the chance to pitch him. We must have some knowledge he will listen to our bid

Can't help but think I've seen this movie before though (and now know the ending).

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Can't help but think I've seen this movie before though (and now know the ending).
After Stamkos I'll pretty much never get my hopes up again. I know it was very different circumstances however a lot of people who had close links said it was looking good and very likely to happen, and it really seemed like he wasn't going to go back to Tampa because their offer was pretty low compared to what he could've received elsewhere.

Unfortunately hockey players are pretty boring, they usually stay with their teams and are loyal to a fault at times. Stark contrast from NBA or MLB. I fully expect Tavares to stay in NYI, though I'm more than happy to be wrong about him coming here.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
As far as I'm concerned, San Jose got more for Hoffman than Ottawa did. Ottawa takes a contract in Boedker that they may wish they didn't have mid season and a middling defense prospect. San Jose shed Boedker's salary and a couple of late draft picks (6th, 7th). In return they got a 2nd, 4th and two 5th's. The one thing Boedker offers the Senators is the optics of appearing to ice a competitive team.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
I'm not going to get hyped about JT this time around. I think he stays in NYI.

If Bozak took a friendly contract he could be a bottom 6 centre for us. Let that Lindholm or Aalt's battle for the other centre position.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Sens save $1 million and get a body and eliminate a distraction.

Boedker can play, just not a top 6 player.

Not a great deal, but kind of like when the Leafs unloaded Phaneuf, not a great deal but got rid of a problem.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Pirri is not a center in this league. He's a pure winger, and not even a good one at that. I think Europe is the next stop for him, unless an AHL team brings him in to be a high end scorer.

Ryan is Bozak-lite. He's a 3C who does not play defensive minutes at all and does not really put up a ton of points either. I was surprised; I thought he played more defensive minutes, but I was wrong. I do not know where he would fit if that is the case, but it could be tough for him to find a job, and I think Lindholm is a much better option given he is great at both ends.

I do not see how a team does not give Nash a 3C job with term and dollars. The top 9 C options this year are so slim (Tavares, Stastny, Bozak, maybe Ryan and then him are really the only ones). If we were looking for a Bozak replacement, he makes sense, but he's looking for more than we would give him otherwise. Beagle may be the best option, but I think Washington will work something out to bring him back. I have been wrong before, but call it a gut feeling. Then really besides the past two or three years, Beagle has not been a 4C would be dying to get. He was average at best, and the type of guy you could get for cheap in FA every year. What if he pulls a Moore and regresses? It wouldn't be bad if it was a one year deal, but he's likely getting more than that.

I am trusting Lindholm and Aaltonen. The only uncertainty is transferring over to North American ice (for Lindholm), but if that is a problem then we still have Aaltonen, who in many ways has followed the same path as Derek Ryan before he made the NHL but is younger and much better defensively. If both of those AND Gauthier (who should be a depth forward next year at least, and still could very well put it together in the NHL) fail, then maybe the Leafs just have to invest in a 4C later on. You shouldn't be spending a 2nd round pick on a 4C at the TDL anyways.

Pirri has taken 1100 faceoffs in 220 games. 5 faceoffs a game is not what pure wingers take. For instance, Marner, a pure winger, takes maybe 1. Marleau a Winger/Center hybrid takes 5. Do you know what Bozak has had that Ryan hasn't? A 30+ goal scorer on his wing. Despite not having a 36 goal score on his wing, Ryan was as effective last year as Bozak offensively on a really bad team. What does that say about Bozak? Gauthier has failed repeatedly in being even a 4C in the NHL, the best he's shown is he is a good AHL 4C. Hell, at this point Ferguson might pass him on the depth charts. I think at least 1 veteran center would be handy, preferably one who is capable of playing 3C in a pinch.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Sens save $1 million and get a body and eliminate a distraction.

Boedker can play, just not a top 6 player.

Not a great deal, but kind of like when the Leafs unloaded Phaneuf, not a great deal but got rid of a problem.
Agreed. It also increases their chances of re-signing Karlsson (if there ever was a chance). The longer they kept Hoffman, the worse it was for their chances to keep Karlsson.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

sounds like taveras is only meeting ~5 teams if we are invited as one of those teams that gives us a chance. Am I banking on him signing here? no im not but many posters have shown that signing JT and keeping the big 3 is possible.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'm not going to get hyped about JT this time around. I think he stays in NYI.

If Bozak took a friendly contract he could be a bottom 6 centre for us. Let that Lindholm or Aalt's battle for the other centre position.

sure but wait for bozak until you know JT is out, ie: signed on the island or elsewhere. Bozak will be there july 1 maybe even july 2

Reactions: Once
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad