Free Agency and Trade Thread: Off-season alive and well ... for some!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Nah. Everybody knows that many Leaf fans are passionate, fall in love with their players and as such are not able to be objective when it comes to trades. Not a reason to put them on your ignore list :)
I must have missed something in this thread.
Why is Calgary trading Andersson?
And why is Calgary accepting whatever we want to trade?

HC7

May 2, 2018

They probably arent.

However they have...
Hamilton
Giordano
Brodie
Hamonic
Stone
Kulak
Fox
Valimaki
Kylington
Andersson

They are loaded on D and lack forwards. Leafs lack D and are loaded on forwards.

Not sure why you weren't able to put 1 and 1 together but now you know I guess.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The general idea is that Calgary has quite a few players ahead of him with Hamilton, Brodie who prefers playing RD, Stone, and Hamonic on that side. They are at the same time desperate for any kind of right winger with some skill who can play on their top line. As such a trade between those two positions make a lot of sense for both teams. I'd be surprised if we could get away with sending them Brown though, I think it will take Kapanen.

Reactions: Kiwi and Menzinger

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
They probably arent.

However they have...
Hamilton
Giordano
Brodie
Hamonic
Stone
Kulak
Fox
Valimaki
Kylington
Andersson

They are loaded on D and lack forwards. Leafs lack D and are loaded on forwards.

Not sure why you weren't able to put 1 and 1 together but now you know I guess.
Because when I put 1 and 1 together here sometimes I get 3.
Why would you start by trading your cost controlled 20 year old RHD?
It would be like us having Phaneuf, Komisarek, Gunnarsson, Kaberle and trading Dermott.
I'd be looking at moving Stone or someone first.

HC7

May 2, 2018
It would be like us having Phaneuf, Komisarek, Gunnarsson, Kaberle and trading Dermott.

Because they don't have Phaneuf, and Komisarek, and Gunnarsson. They have a top 5 D-Core without him, plus prospects higher than him on the depth chart. Add to this their forwards are shit and it's pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Your comparison would he them trading Gaudreau since their forwards are bad and that would make them worse.

It's actually embarrassing that you can't grasp this.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Because they don't have Phaneuf, and Komisarek, and Gunnarsson. They have a top 5 D-Core without him, plus prospects higher than him on the depth chart. Add to this their forwards are **** and it's pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Your comparison would he them trading Gaudreau since their forwards are bad and that would make them worse.

It's actually embarrassing that you can't grasp this.
If we re-sign Gardiner and have Rielly, Hainsey, maybe even sign a De Haan (as left hand D) that doesn't mean we are on fire to move Dermott out or even consider it.
I'm sorry you can't grasp that. You have given no reason why the first choice of Calgary has been to move the young Andersson. If you look at the Flames fans mock lines, they all include Andersson breaking in on the 3rd pair with a Stone or someone available. Just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it so. We wouldn't be keeping a Stone to trade a Lily now would we? You can get that much right?
Your post is also so blatantly derogatory to a poster that this is the way I'm going to talk to you.
Your posting etiquette is quite embarrassing. Take your half a brain and other comments and have a good day.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Would anyone here take Brown over Dermott?

Cause it's basically the same thing except Rasmus is right handed and was better offensively in the AHL.

Except it is really not. Because if that were true, Andersson would have done much better in the NHL. Especially since Calgary's defense is superior to ours.

And let's assume what you say is true. I like Dermott a lot, but we already have one. This team needs more than another Dermott playing 16 minutes on the bottom pairing to be successful next year. We have guys who can play at least 16 minutes already in Carrick and Ozhiganov (possibly Holl and Rosen too). The problem is, this puts us in a worse position last year because we have a huge hole on the PK without Polak and one less guy who can take pressure off of the already swamped Hainsey and Zaitsev, assuming Andersson is like Dermott.

So you don't want Andersson? Tells me all I need to know right there
Nobody is ever good enough or worth anything but **** from us

Were not Tampa

We've got Liljegren Grundstrom and Picks

Nothing else is even coming close to having the value to go after a decent RD with upside

I feel like there is something going on beyond this conversation... Because this is pretty irrational for you.

There are more than a few guys who are good enough, and we have the assets to acquire, but no I am not going to settle for overpaying for less than ideal fits. If I am overpaying, I am at least getting a guy who provides serious value to this team next year and for many years to come.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

From Calgary, it sounds like it would be Brodie, however with a new coach things may change.
How a coach utilizes a player obviously can affect their internal value.
From sports news here, and we know how accurate sports new can be, Brodie prefers playing RD.

Now, we can throw out the Babcock doesn't like playing players on their off-side argument until we are blue in the face ... or open our eyes and notice Hainsey.

I can't see Hamilton being available, while he might not be the best defender, he's getting better every year.

HC7

May 2, 2018
If we re-sign Gardiner and have Rielly, Hainsey, maybe even sign a De Haan (as left hand D) that doesn't mean we are on fire to move Dermott out or even consider it.
I'm sorry you can't grasp that. You have given no reason why the first choice of Calgary has been to move the young Andersson. If you look at the Flames fans mock lines, they all include Andersson breaking in on the 3rd pair with a Stone or someone available. Just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it so. We wouldn't be keeping a Stone to trade a Lily now would we? You can get that much right?
Your post is also so blatantly derogatory to a poster that this is the way I'm going to talk to you.
Your posting etiquette is quite embarrassing. Take your half a brain and other comments and have a good day.

Nobody is saying move Dermott. The Leaf equivalent to the Flames trading Andersson would be Brown. And the only reason it makes sense is because we're stacked at this position just like they're stacked on D.

And the reason for trading Brown over Hyman and Andersson over Stone is to get a better player back.

It really isn't hard to understand. It's what Nashville and Columbus did. Why would Nashville trade Jones when they could trade their worst DMan? To get a player like RyJo back.

Dur...

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
So, huh, how does everyone feel about a 7yr/$30.1M ($4.3M caphit) offersheet to Noah Hanifin? Cost is 2019 1st+2019 3rd. Leafs I'm sure could find a way to make it stupid expensive year one for the Canes. Thoughts?

HC7

May 2, 2018
Except it is really not. Because if that were true, Andersson would have done much better in the NHL. Especially since Calgary's defense is superior to ours.

And let's assume what you say is true. I like Dermott a lot, but we already have one. This team needs more than another Dermott playing 16 minutes on the bottom pairing to be successful next year. We have guys who can play at least 16 minutes already in Carrick and Ozhiganov (possibly Holl and Rosen too). The problem is, this puts us in a worse position last year because we have a huge hole on the PK without Polak and one less guy who can take pressure off of the already swamped Hainsey and Zaitsev, assuming Andersson is like Dermott.

I feel like there is something going on beyond this conversation... Because this is pretty irrational for you.

There are more than a few guys who are good enough, and we have the assets to acquire, but no I am not going to settle for overpaying for less than ideal fits. If I am overpaying, I am at least getting a guy who provides serious value to this team next year and for many years to come.

Carrick can't play in the playoffs, and Ozi hasn't played a game.

Yeah Leafs need something better than Rasmus for the 1st pair but why would you be against a potential top 4 guy playing in the bottom pair?

Kapanen was on the 4th line all year, does that mean we don't need him because he and Brown serve the same purpose?

It just doesn't make sense that you wouldn't want to strengthen our weakest position with a 21 year old that is ready to step in and has high potential that can grow with the core.

HC7

May 2, 2018
So, huh, how does everyone feel about a 7yr/$30.1M ($4.3M caphit) offersheet to Noah Hanifin? Cost is 2019 1st+2019 3rd. Leafs I'm sure could find a way to make it stupid expensive year one for the Canes. Thoughts?

I'd obviously do that but any team would match it.

Reactions: Menzinger

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
From Calgary, it sounds like it would be Brodie, however with a new coach things may change.
How a coach utilizes a player obviously can affect their internal value.
From sports news here, and we know how accurate sports new can be, Brodie prefers playing RD.

Now, we can throw out the Babcock doesn't like playing players on their off-side argument until we are blue in the face ... or open our eyes and notice Hainsey.

I can't see Hamilton being available, while he might not be the best defender, he's getting better every year.
If Calgary is looking for a legit top line (or top 6) RW to play with Monahan/Johnny, then a player like Brodie being available is probably a good place to start. That's probably the best call. At this time you probably don't get the piece you are looking for trading Andersson. You would want a better return than Brown but not many teams are giving up the better return if the name isn't Brodie.
The new Calgary coach is coming in and I'm sure right now they want to take a look at what they have moving forward. What type of defense does Peters want to shape his team moving forward? He has been working with a solid young core in Carolina and with picks like Andersson, Valimaki and Kylington, they can definitely shape the future in Calgary that way.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010

Yeah, not so sure the Canes would be willing to eat a poison pill for a season if we structure it aggressively. If Hanifin signs it we also have an exclusive window to complete a trade with the Canes as well where we obviously have all the leverage.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I think a 2nd round pick is added to the compensation because the offer sheet is longer than five years. Could give it a go, but Carolina likely matches it considering the return.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Yeah, not so sure the Canes would be willing to eat a poison pill for a season if we structure it aggressively. If Hanifin signs it we also have an exclusive window to complete a trade with the Canes as well where we obviously have all the leverage.

That honestly seems like a bargain contract though. I get they're not in a great place financially but unless were able to offer like half the contract as a signing bonus to be paid on July 1 I think they match it.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Nobody is saying move Dermott. The Leaf equivalent to the Flames trading Andersson would be Brown. And the only reason it makes sense is because we're stacked at this position just like they're stacked on D.

And the reason for trading Brown over Hyman and Andersson over Stone is to get a better player back.

It really isn't hard to understand. It's what Nashville and Columbus did. Why would Nashville trade Jones when they could trade their worst DMan? To get a player like RyJo back.

Dur...
I'm not saying they won't trade Andersson, what I'm saying is that's not a place I see them starting.
What does Calgary want? An impact top 6 forward? That's neither Brown or Hyman and Andersson doesn't get you that today. A Brodie or Stone is a much better place to start. Andersson/Brown aren't even on the same level of the Jones/RyJo so not a good comparison IMO.
If Dermott and Lily had more experience here, Gardiner would be the guy I'd be moving for a center or forward upgrade. Not moving them to re-sign Gardiner. I'm pretty sure half the board here would be looking to move Gardiner if we had the younger guys like that pushing hard at this point.

Now would I like to acquire the Andersson for the right deal? Sure. I just don't see it as the starting point for the Flames at present. Or at the very least for Brown or whatever.

HC7

May 2, 2018
I'm not saying they won't trade Andersson, what I'm saying is that's not a place I see them starting.
What does Calgary want? An impact top 6 forward? That's neither Brown or Hyman and Andersson doesn't get you that today. A Brodie or Stone is a much better place to start. Andersson/Brown aren't even on the same level of the Jones/RyJo so not a good comparison IMO.
If Dermott and Lily had more experience here, Gardiner would be the guy I'd be moving for a center or forward upgrade. Not moving them to re-sign Gardiner. I'm pretty sure half the board here would be looking to move Gardiner if we had the younger guys like that pushing hard at this point.

Now would I like to acquire the Andersson for the right deal? Sure. I just don't see it as the starting point for the Flames at present. Or at the very least for Brown or whatever.

I didn't read your whole post but I agree with the top part.

All I said at the beginning was if someone here wouldn't trade Brown for Andersson that they're insane.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I think a 2nd round pick is added to the compensation because the offer sheet is longer than five years. Could give it a go, but Carolina likely matches it considering the return.

Used Capfriendly's calculator, it's the upper limit of the 1st+3rd compensation even with the seventh year.

Reactions: Buds17

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
That honestly seems like a bargain contract though. I get they're not in a great place financially but unless were able to offer like half the contract as a signing bonus to be paid on July 1 I think they match it.

Yeah, this would be the objective. Put the maximum amount of money possible in year one + signing bonus.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Irrational?

If you think we're getting an ideal fit for anything less than a kings ransom your a complete homer and have no idea how a market works

I'd like your opinion on players that could be available and what you think the price points to obtain them would be and who your willing to give up?

Instead of shooting people down let's see what you can come up with? I'm really excited about this already developed top 4 defenseman we're getting for Bracco + Sparks or something

The stuff about not needing another Dermott is mind numbing in the extreme, do you not have any understanding of upside or improvement? That's how young bottom pairing defenders become top 4 defenders for the next decade and your team has success

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If Calgary at all sees a future in Andersson like you do, a 'meh' winger as you say, isn't going to cut it. We'll either have to sweeten the pot with a couple of your so called 'meh' wingers or something more. If it ends up creating a hole in our team to fill another hole, then its not worth it, now is it? And maybe a trade isn't the way to go until we won't be filling holes just to create new ones.

So your plan is for the D to continue to suck? Interesting take

Calgary is loaded on the backend but need RW which we have an abundance of and someone like Kapanen has enough value something like this could work for both teams

This team as currently constructed isn't good enough and sitting on our hands playing pretend won't solve that and an Andersson Kapanen swap is a proactive way of trying to build a competitive defensive unit before our kids hit there primes

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I'm liking the youthful look you've made here (much better than Bozak/JVR/Leo), but if a trade for a RD is out there I'd like to see it happen, drop Zats down the line up, I don't think having him in top 4 is a good idea the way his game was last season. Also could pick up a vet at the deadline for depth and hopefully a deeper playoff run?
i definitely agree...Just dont know what kinda deal would be available.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

but we would only need Carolina to not match it. If we offer sheet hanafin and he signs our offer sheet then it comes down to Leafs or Carolina no other teams get to enter the bidding.

HC7

May 2, 2018
but we would only need Carolina to not match it. If we offer sheet hanafin and he signs our offer sheet then it comes down to Leafs or Carolina no other teams get to enter the bidding.

I realize that. I'm implying that even if Arizona/Ottawa (Poorest teams in NHL) had Hanifin and someone offer-sheeted him 4.5 per even they'd match it because he's a good player, and that's a good contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad