GDT: Free Agency 2020, Part II - Dadonov signs with Sens, Hoffman still available, Weegar on the market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
@violaswallet , did GR just write an article proposing Ekblad for Laine? Or was it a fan question?
I'm not subscribed to his website but saw the question on his Twitter.

Just speculating.

Ekblad for Laine is fair for both clubs. But, FLA is probably unlikely to propose this unless Zito isn't very high on Ekblad.

Weegar, 1st, top prospect for Laine looks better for FLA, unless the 1st ends up being a stud. They're getting a mid-pair defenseman. Also, besides 11+16 FLA doesn't have the best track record regarding top prospects coming close to their projections.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Just speculating.

Ekblad for Laine is fair for both clubs. But, FLA is probably unlikely to propose this unless Zito isn't very high on Ekblad.

Weegar, 1st, top prospect for Laine looks better for FLA, unless the 1st ends up being a stud. They're getting a mid-pair defenseman. Also, besides 11+16 FLA doesn't have the best track record regarding top prospects coming close to their projections.

Leafs fan coming in peace.

Look, Laine is an elite goal scorer, and will be a great player for many years... but....

Laine has scored 30 and 28 goals the last two years. Hoffman has 36 and 29 goals. Laine likely is a far better career player, BUT.... the difference between Hoffman and Laine in your lineup, isn't having to give up Ekblad, nor even Weegar and a 1st for that pleasure... Hoffman's best move, is a one year deal with you guys, where he already has a good fit, and can continue to be productive. I mean, sure, Vancouver might be attractive for him, but they could sign him today for $5 mil, and they'd still be under the 10% overage... and it hasn't happened yet, so... Even a one year at $6 mil with you guys, is more than most others could afford, and he'd be looking good, hoping the cap expands post Covid.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Leafs fan coming in peace.

Look, Laine is an elite goal scorer, and will be a great player for many years... but....

Laine has scored 30 and 28 goals the last two years. Hoffman has 36 and 29 goals. Laine likely is a far better career player, BUT.... the difference between Hoffman and Laine in your lineup, isn't having to give up Ekblad, nor even Weegar and a 1st for that pleasure... Hoffman's best move, is a one year deal with you guys, where he already has a good fit, and can continue to be productive. I mean, sure, Vancouver might be attractive for him, but they could sign him today for $5 mil, and they'd still be under the 10% overage... and it hasn't happened yet, so... Even a one year at $6 mil with you guys, is more than most others could afford, and he'd be looking good, hoping the cap expands post Covid.
Yup, exactly. And I’m also one who’s not super high on Laine at this point.

Reactions: Clint

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Just speculating.

If they trade Ekblad for a winger, even as good as Laine may be, I'll probably stop watching games.
Laine clearly wants out of WPG, why would we give up our best defenseman for him? WPG has some leverage but not a lot.
I get the idea of trying to acquire Laine to possibly keep Barkov in FLA but not at the expense of Ekblad.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I can’t see us trading Ekblad for a winger. For one, that’d mean they’d ditch Huberdeau for laine. Laine only has 1yr left, Huberdeau has 3yrs. But they’re not giving mega contracts to Barkov, laine, Huberdeau, and bob.

how many players can you have on upper level contracts like that? I wouldn’t follow the leafs model. But thankfully I think bob has 4yrs left and not 5 or 6. Then (hopefully) will be replaced by knight who will come in much cheaper for a while. But Barkov will get one after another 2yrs. I think we should absolutely retain Ekblad (higher tier but not in the 10+ range that I associate as the mega tier contracts). With the idea that bob would only have about two years remaining when Barkov’s new inevitable deal kicks in, id be ok with him, Ekblad, a mega tier D (pietrangelo as a comparable) and one forward. But I’d rather stick with the trading Huberdeau for high end futures. And when the opportunity presents itself we can sign that big ticket winger.

luckily, we’ll have lundell, Tippett, and Denisenko all cost controlled for a long time. If we could pick up another big prospect or two to build with longterm it’ll make it easier to have a couple guys making the big bucks.

that is unless Huberdeau is willing to sign a reasonable deal, if he truly wants to stay. Let’s see how he plays this season and next (and Barkov) when they don’t have a Dadonov level talent on the other wing. Could bring their price down a little

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I don’t think so. I think Zito is just playing a waiting game right now. He’s waiting for someone to get bent over.
As each day passes I think I am starting to believe we're doing what Batting said and just gonna suck but try to build with players who want to be here. I am extremely concerned about getting the Barkov deal done next summer.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
how many players can you have on upper level contracts like that? I wouldn’t follow the leafs model. But thankfully I think bob has 4yrs left and not 5 or 6. Then (hopefully) will be replaced by knight who will come in much cheaper for a while.
Bob has 6 years left.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If I'm not mistaken, the last two years of Bob are cheap to buy out.

With 2 years left on his deal, buyout in June 2024

buyout-bob.PNG

With 1 year left on his deal, buyout in June 2025

buyout-bob-2.PNG

Otherwise, you likely have to retain half of the 10 mil cap hit to find a buyer for a 35-36 year old goalie with 1-2 years left.

Reactions: harv33173

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I’m not really concerned at all with Barky.
Aside from the whole Finns being loyal thing is there any reason not to be? Team hasn't been great and will probably have its worst year since 2017. Like him being Finnish and just his personality is the only reason I am thinking he'll stay, could you imagine Barkov in the Toronto media :laugh:

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Just speculating.

Ekblad for Laine is fair for both clubs.
But, FLA is probably unlikely to propose this unless Zito isn't very high on Ekblad.

No its not Ekblad is one of the best defenseman in the league. And a cornerstone in particular to our team. It's not even close in value.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Hey y'all. Hope you guys have been well.

Just checking in to say this team is like the ex-girlfriend who I take back every year thinking she'll change but we always end up with the same issues.

Jokes aside, I'm still hopeful for this upcoming season if it starts according to plan. Resign Weegar. Do not trade Ekblad pls.
We are? Lowest expectations I have had since '15

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
My expectation are closer to the Clem&Thomas season than 15.
It depends a bit on the division, but man I think we'll get our head caved in.
I think they'll be a bit better than that. I'll set their point O/U for an 82 game schedule at 84.5, I imagine Vegas puts it close to that too.

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
Yup. Deserves more credit than the shit he gets here because his salary is/was a bit high, and hell because he is not scoring 100 points a season for us.

Yeah, I think his salary if quite fair now. He has taken massive strides past two years or so, to get back on track. But I can almost guarantee he would easily be a 60+ point guy on this team if he got PP1 time. I mean the guy was ranked like 4th in the league in even strength points by defenseman, and unlike other guys up there he sees very little PP time (only Slavin has low PP TOI as well).

Reactions: harv33173

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I think they'll be a bit better than that. I'll set their point O/U for an 82 game schedule at 84.5, I imagine Vegas puts it close to that too.
Paper is all it is, paper.

Actual result depends on the coach and the players gelling. And of course, especially some weak guys like Connolly actually giving a crap, and Yandle taking and delivering a hit once every 5 games.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Paper is all it is, paper.

Actual result depends on the coach and the players gelling. And of course, especially some weak guys like Connolly actually giving a crap, and Yandle taking and delivering a hit once every 5 games.
This is like the 5th time someone has responded to me with this and like I can't argue it but I do not think it's a strong argument. It's based on paper but when all the media has Florida 13th in the East and with a low 80s point total, unlike other years there's no reason to be salty. They just don't look good.

Reactions: I am not exposed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad