GDT: Free Agency 2020, Part II - Dadonov signs with Sens, Hoffman still available, Weegar on the market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
How many have said he’s a quaranteed #2C?
With that said he can still be ....ng good, what people who actually watch him will/would say

I’d say Lundell is far safer bet to become a 2C than any of your Dprospects a top pair guy

A few on this page has hinted at Lundell being a #2 on this team, even over Cirelli being on the team.

Considering we don't have any bluechip d prospects that's a fairly safe bet.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
A few on this page has hinted at Lundell being a #2 on this team, even over Cirelli being on the team.

Considering we don't have any bluechip d prospects that's a fairly safe bet.

So with limited money and assets you rather bet on Lundell over Cirelli and use those assets on potential/current top pair Dman

If you target someone from Tampa it should be Serg

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
So with limited money and assets you rather bet on Lundell over Cirelli and use those assets on potential/current top pair Dman

If you target someone from Tampa it should be Serg

As of now we have Ekblad and the rights to Weegar. So, while it would be nice to improve the blueline, it's not like we are rocking VanRyn and Bryan Allen up there. Add in overpaid guys in Stralman and Yanle, our blueline is sort of set.

We have no center depth short term and possibly long term depending on how long Lundell takes to reach the NHL and he comes up to par.
Unless Wennberg reverts to his old self, we don't have a #2 at all.

Barkov has 2 years left and who knows if he or Huberdeau care to stay here any longer. If this team continues to suck, which it will in it's current state, you think those two will want to stick around?

Our blueline could definitely use Serg too, but I feel our forwards has gone from a good top 6 to the Jokinen/Weiss years where we have a few good players and then JAGs.

Obviously FA isn't over, but it seems we'll be putting all our eggs into young guys to take on significant roles with no depth behind them if they struggle or get injured.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
We have no center depth short term and possibly long term depending on how long Lundell takes to reach the NHL and he comes up to par. Unless Wennberg reverts to his old self, we don't have a #2 at all.

Barkov has 2 years left and who knows if he or Huberdeau care to stay here any longer. If this team continues to suck, which it will in it's current state, you think those two will want to stick around?
I agree, it sounds like people have given up even pretending this team will be competitive next season.

Reactions: ShootIt

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
We have no center depth short term and possibly long term depending on how long Lundell takes to reach the NHL and he comes up to par.
Three center prospects are scoring at will in the Liiga at the moment, and enough people are still holding out hope for Borgström. So there could be some depth. A lot of uncertainty, but all it takes is that two of five (if you include Wennberg) hit the upside.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Three center prospects are scoring at will in the Liiga at the moment, and enough people are still holding out hope for Borgström. So there could be some depth. A lot of uncertainty, but all it takes is that two of five (if you include Wennberg) hit the upside.

I suppose so, just discouraging once again we are going to be relying on potential to fill not just one hole, but multiple holes in the middle six. Guess you can say I've become jaded reading about our great prospects on here over the years only to see them come below expectations or not even make the squad.

Sure maybe the light comes on for Borg, or Saarela is a hidden gem or something.
Just don't like even having a backup option if Wennberg is nothing more than a bottom 6 center. Or if Tippett is a liability at everything other than the occasional goal

I want to give Zito the benefit of the doubt, but I can't take this team seriously if they say they want to win but at the same time are rocking 11mil in cap space(pre Weegar deal) and are willing to roll the dice on multiple prospects taking on big role all of a sudden.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
As of now we have Ekblad and the rights to Weegar. So, while it would be nice to improve the blueline, it's not like we are rocking VanRyn and Bryan Allen up there. Add in overpaid guys in Stralman and Yanle, our blueline is sort of set.

Our blueline could definitely use Serg too, but I feel our forwards has gone from a good top 6 to the Jokinen/Weiss years where we have a few good players and then JAGs.

Obviously FA isn't over, but it seems we'll be putting all our eggs into young guys to take on significant roles with no depth behind them if they struggle or get injured.

You are not going to be a good team next year, there’s 2 many major holes to fill, but atleast you have potential to address few of them at F from your prospect pool(Lundell/Tippett) in the near future.

So you just have to build to be a good team in 2-3 years time and sell that vision to Baroov/Hubs, there’s no short cut here.

Defensively Florida was one of the worst and need a real retool to make it work and be good.

You add talent you can this& next summer, focus really should be on defense and next year with Lundell& Tippett you start to have a real core moving forward.

You have no high end Dprospects which is a major issue, Tallon ignored it for years and Zito shouldn’t do the same

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
You are not going to be a good team next year, there’s 2 many major holes to fill, but atleast you have potential to address few of them at F from your prospect pool(Lundell/Tippett) in the near future.

So you just have to build to be a good team in 2-3 years time and sell that vision to Baroov/Hubs, there’s no short cut here.

Defensively Florida was one of the worst and need a real retool to make it work and be good.

You add talent you can this& next summer, focus really should be on defense and next year with Lundell& Tippett you start to have a real core moving forward.

You have no high end Dprospects which is a major issue, Tallon ignored it for years and Zito shouldn’t do the same
Next years draft should get us a stud on defense.

Reactions: harv33173

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
LeBrun wrote an article on the Hoff.

-Still thinks 5 or 6 teams really interested, 5 or 6 others kind of interested.

-Thinks offers are in the $3.5 to 4.5 mil range where his camp is looking for $5 to 5.75 mil.

-Still thinks there is open communication with FLA.

-He's gonna continue to be patient and not rush into anything.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I suppose so, just discouraging once again we are going to be relying on potential to fill not just one hole, but multiple holes in the middle six. Guess you can say I've become jaded reading about our great prospects on here over the years only to see them come below expectations or not even make the squad.

Sure maybe the light comes on for Borg, or Saarela is a hidden gem or something.
Just don't like even having a backup option if Wennberg is nothing more than a bottom 6 center. Or if Tippett is a liability at everything other than the occasional goal

I want to give Zito the benefit of the doubt, but I can't take this team seriously if they say they want to win but at the same time are rocking 11mil in cap space(pre Weegar deal) and are willing to roll the dice on multiple prospects taking on big role all of a sudden.
I am thinking an internal cap? Not signing Dadonov didn't make sense to me tbh, 3 years is no risk, Florida will be what, 8 million under the cap after Weegar? It's disappointing.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I am thinking an internal cap? Not signing Dadonov didn't make sense to me tbh, 3 years is no risk, Florida will be what, 8 million under the cap after Weegar? It's disappointing.

Yea, 50/50 on an internal cap. Only faith I got is that there still are teams that need to get under cap and only a handful that can take on decent sized deals. We'll see whenever Hoffman goes off the market and as arbitration dates get closer I guess.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
LeBrun wrote an article on the Hoff.

-Still thinks 5 or 6 teams really interested, 5 or 6 others kind of interested.

-Thinks offers are in the $3.5 to 4.5 mil range where his camp is looking for $5 to 5.75 mil.

-Still thinks there is open communication with FLA.

-He's gonna continue to be patient and not rush into anything.

If his side is really asking for $5-5.75 on a one year deal, I don't get why we don't just sign him. He performed well in the playoffs, he scores 30 goals a season, makes our PP better, we have very limited options at LW after Huby, we have the cap space, there's really no better option out there, he would cost us no actual assets, there would be no adjustment period...so many reasons we should sign him for just one year, even if his ask is "high". It's only one year. What else are we spending it on? Wait too long and some other team that's more attractive will free up space and sign him instead.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
If his side is really asking for $5-5.75 on a one year deal, I don't get why we don't just sign him. He performed well in the playoffs, he scores 30 goals a season, makes our PP better, we have very limited options at LW after Huby, we have the cap space, there's really no better option out there, he would cost us no actual assets, there would be no adjustment period...so many reasons we should sign him for just one year, even if his ask is "high". It's only one year. What else are we spending it on? Wait too long and some other team that's more attractive will free up space and sign him instead.
I would do a 3 year at $4.5 no problem. Probably at $5-$5.5. That should instantly give us an okay chance again.

ETA: and if the Hoff side is looking for a 1-year because they think covid is over for the following season and money will flow more freely again, then do the 1-year.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

tenor-18.gif

Totally agree.
Think we may be 3rd or 4th on the list and not sure why?
Going to a new team doesn't guarantee you maximum productivity while learning a new system and finding chemistry with new teammates etc.

I more want him on the one year deal to pump his stats, retain half of his cap hit and move him for 2021 picks if we're out of playoff race. That draft is full of D prospects so it'd be nice to have 3 picks inside the top 60.

If we make it to the playoffs then even better but still on the fence if we can do that. A lot has to go right for it to happen.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I would do a 3 year at $4.5 no problem. Probably at $5-$5.5. That should instantly give us an okay chance again.

ETA: and if the Hoff side is looking for a 1-year because they think covid is over for the following season and money will flow more freely again, then do the 1-year.

View attachment 374798

Totally agree.
Think we may be 3rd or 4th on the list and not sure why?
Going to a new team doesn't guarantee you maximum productivity while learning a new system and finding chemistry with new teammates etc.

I more want him on the one year deal to pump his stats, retain half of his cap hit and move him for 2021 picks if we're out of playoff race. That draft is full of D prospects so it'd be nice to have 3 picks inside the top 60.

If we make it to the playoffs then even better but still on the fence if we can do that. A lot has to go right for it to happen.

yeah I wonder if maybe Hoff is the one waiting for other teams that he may be more interested in joining or holding out for a multi-year contracts. If it's up to us, we should just overpay him for the 1 year, it's a no brainer, what else is out there?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
yeah I wonder if maybe Hoff is the one waiting for other teams that he may be more interested in joining or holding out for a multi-year contracts. If it's up to us, we should just overpay him for the 1 year, it's a no brainer, what else is out there?

Ya he's definitely being patient according to his agent, guess they think the offers/money will go up closer to December when teams have to really start moving money/cap.
Don't know if he's gonna get to check off all the boxes. NYI and TB simply don't have the room

Contender/playoff team, term, money.

He may get 2 of those 3 but he's likely already missed out on term unless he goes to a bottom feeder who have tons of cap space. Doubtful he would do that imo.

Zito seems to be really patient as well. We won't be bad enough to get a top 5 pick imo but doubtful we are anything but a bubble/wildcard team.

Last edited:

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Hoffman might be looking at the lineup and thinking that there is only one good center on the team and he won't play with him. So going to a team where he'll play with better teammates will allow him to maximize his next contract. I don't blame him for that.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Hoffman might be looking at the lineup and thinking that there is only one good center on the team and he won't play with him. So going to a team where he'll play with better teammates will allow him to maximize his next contract. I don't blame him for that.

Very good point.
Thats why VAN makes sense, he'd have EP or Horvat to play with, just dont see them being able to move enough cap to make it work.

COL would have made sense before they got Saad.

I truly think he only has 2 teams that make everything work but they have cap issues which helps us with him circling back to FLA.

BUF has the space, they have Eichel and Staal.
NSH have Ryjo and Duchene but they lack team scoring so he may not get big points there.

Not too many other options to be honest.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Zito should pay attention that Hoff is looking for a team that WANTS to go deep in playoffs.

Hoff should pay attention to what Zito wants to do. There may be more alignment in year 2 onwards.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Side Question how hard is to re-sign a 7th Round Pick with a good D Game, even you might plan to send him afterwards away?? i think its only 4 Players left everyone else is already signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad