Speculation: Free Agency 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
+1, it wasnt that bad a couple of years ago, but now it's just crazy how it penalize the canadian teams.

It wouldnt even be hard to do based on the percentage of tax in comparison to the average of taxes in the states. Then make a salary cap based on that.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Now take those US dollars and convert to Canadian dollars....you can tac on another million. Now his endorsements in Canada will go through the roof. Globally, He'll make more in Montreal or Toronto

Not so much about the player , It's the teams all using the SAME CAP number(a problem)...73 million...
Tampa 8.5 = 12.3 in Canada...but every US or Canadian team has the same cap.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
:shakehead

I'll be back here on July 2nd and laugh at your face when you bash Bergevin for doing exactly what you wanted him to do.

Wouldn't waste a second of my time on him. We are NOT going to get him, no matter what your fantasies are, and even if we got him, Stamkos getting Kane/Toews money is ridiculous.

"WAH WAH WAH Pacioretty isn't physical, implicated in the play and a no-show in the playoffs"
"Let's give 10M to Stamkos!"

:laugh: What's sad is that most people on this thread don't have any idea about what Stamkos really is as a player as of 2016.
Hard to win the lottery when you don't play the lottery......

The only way the eggs are all in one basket is if the solely negotiate with Stamkos. That front office is pretty big, they can easily work with 2-3 UFA's that they're interested in at the same time.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
It's the teams all using the SAME CAP number(a problem)...73 million...
Tampa 8.5 = 12.3 in Canada...Everyone US or Canadian team has the same cap.

because all salaries are in USD, it doesn't matter.

If anything, with the CAD being complete garbage, you'll be "richer" in your everyday life here by getting paid in USD

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Yep, but Canadien based players get paid in US dollars....when I go to the store, I don't pay in U.S
He'll convert his dollars which will give him more....I know, I used to work overseas making US currency and my 9000$ a month was really 11,000$ after conversion. You make more!!

Everyone's cap is 73 million U.S, they get paid in U.S

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

?? Are you stating that the salary he makes in US dollars becomes that much in Canada? Or that in Canada we need to pay him 12,3 to compensate for the taxes?

Because if it's the latter, you're off by a significant margin. The tax difference between TB and MTL is about 14%.

A player is actually advantaged right now to be a Canadian resident as all playrs get paid in USD. That might be what what you were saying?

CostaMtl

Apr 24, 2016
Could Rick Nash be a temporary solution for our 2nd line

Obviously this is not my plan A, but lets say Bergevin is not able to sign any FA ( which is almost a certainty) to upgrade our pathetic top 6. Could Rick Nash be a solution for our 2nd line?

NYR still owes us for that infamous trade McDonagh-Gomez. We know they want to get rid of that big salary ( to enter the Stamkos derby, which Bergevin should be part of but oh well. Bergevin is gonna Bergevin ) , maybe they wont be that hungry in what they want in return

He is way past his prime obviously, but he is still better than all the options we have right now to play LW for our 2nd line. His contract is up in 2 years , which would allow guys like Carr-Lekhonen-Scherbak to gain experience and see if they can fill the spot in the future.

If Bergevin stop and resist the urge of signing every grinders in the league. We would have room to take his big cap hit.

Maybe an offer like DD and our first pick in 2017 would be enough to get Nash

Paccio-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Nash-Plek-Shaw

Not a stanley cup winner top 6 but still a little bit more respectable

What do you guys say. Good or bad idea?

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
11 million or less and bring him aboard, would be worth it just to see Leafs fans tears lol. They've been penciling him in their lineup for 2+ years.

If he gets the rumored 12+, please god let it be with some other team.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
Don't know if this has been talked about but on Prime Time sports with Bob Mac they are currently talking about Stamkos is signing with Toronto. They have a plan in place to pay him 3-4 mill extra in various commercial opportunities. This would not count against the cap so they could essentially pay him a max deal plus 3mil more on top of that per season. Says lawyers have vetted it and it's all legal.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
We're apparently on his No-Trade list. As are every other canadian team.
He can GTFO.

Habs4ev*

Dec 18, 2015
:shakehead

I'll be back here on July 2nd and laugh at your face when you bash Bergevin for doing exactly what you wanted him to do.

Wouldn't waste a second of my time on him. We are NOT going to get him, no matter what your fantasies are, and even if we got him, Stamkos getting Kane/Toews money is ridiculous.

"WAH WAH WAH Pacioretty isn't physical, implicated in the play and a no-show in the playoffs"
"Let's give 10M to Stamkos!"

:laugh: What's sad is that most people on this thread don't have any idea about what Stamkos really is as a player as of 2016.

fans on this board are insane, and have no clue,

everybody here knows they would all bust a nut if we got stamkos, this board would be plastered with posts about how he is the best player out there, blah blah blah,

but then when a team like the leafs sign him, those same fans will come on here and post how he is not worth it and a waste of money :laugh:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Don't know if this has been talked about but on Prime Time sports with Bob Mac they are currently talking about Stamkos is signing with Toronto. They have a plan in place to pay him 3-4 mill extra in various commercial opportunities. This would not count against the cap so they could essentially pay him a max deal plus 3mil more on top of that per season.

Well, if they pay him, they're paying him.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
?? Are you stating that the salary he makes in US dollars becomes that much in Canada? Or that in Canada we need to pay him 12,3 to compensate for the taxes?

Because if it's the latter, you're off by a significant margin. The tax difference between TB and MTL is about 14%.

A player is actually advantaged right now to be a Canadian resident as all playrs get paid in USD. That might be what what you were saying?

Well, we pay him in USD. Habs tend to gain their "income" in CAD though.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Hello Costa,

Are you aware that you can make a post without starting a new thread everytime?

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl
Don't know if this has been talked about but on Prime Time sports with Bob Mac they are currently talking about Stamkos is signing with Toronto. They have a plan in place to pay him 3-4 mill extra in various commercial opportunities. This would not count against the cap so they could essentially pay him a max deal plus 3mil more on top of that per season. Says lawyers have vetted it and it's all legal.

If this is true, here comes the cap circumvention party for big organizations.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Im new to HF, sorry if Im doing something wrong.

Just saw that you started another one earlier that got closed pretty fast.

If you think the Habs should go after Nash you might want to post it in the "Trade Proposal Thread".

Cheers.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

I'm saying TampaBay's cap hit on Stamkos (if he decided to stay)would be less than it would be for the Leafs to match for example..But yet every team US or Canada plays with 73 mill cap even with different tax differences in each jurisdiction.

Same way Nashville just locked up Forsberg at 6 mil per ...You think Habs are goona get Gally27 at a cap hit of just 6 million over 6 years??? Nope

Last edited:

CostaMtl

Apr 24, 2016
Just saw that you started another one earlier that got closed pretty fast.

If you think the Habs should go after Nash you might want to post it in the "Trade Proposal Thread".

Cheers.

Yes I did. RDS.ca got me with the click bait strategy. They had a title saying that Weise and Bergevin were trying to close a deal for his return. But one mod said that was not the case and that they were just talking but nothing was concrete. So the mod decided to take my thread down

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

That 8th season is what makes the brunt of the difference, not the taxes.

Using that 8th season is dishonest at best because every other team than TB would have to offer 1 mil more to start with to compensate for that 8th season.

For actual annual salary teams like Montreal and Toronto would have to pay him close to 11 million to compensate for the taxes, but at the end of the fiscal year, he'll make more money even still because of the endorsements. We don,t need to offer 11 mil per for him to make as much money here.

And this is not counting on tbe fact that Stamkos may still hold residency here and did pay Canadian taxes while playing in TB which would render the point moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad