Blue Jays Discussion: free agency #2: Jays sign Cuban Gurriel Jr 7yr\22 mill, & Kendry Morales 3yr\33 mill)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
Come onnnnn Edwing

I am not going to lie the longer he remains unsigned the more I become ok with it. I think there are other options for the Jays and wonder if the money spread out among others in the long run works better for balance? Or, do they pursue a trade option that surprises us for a quality left handed bat?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It would be nice to have EE back for 3-4 years
JB as as good as gone I think

I'm not so sure. The market for him might not be as good as he hopes, especially considering the compensatory draft pick.

If I were him, I would take the qualifying offer and bust my hump to re-establish my value next season. He's not going to get any more than a 2 year deal for comparable money from any other teams this off season.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I'm not so sure. The market for him might not be as good as he hopes, especially considering the compensatory draft pick.

If I were him, I would take the qualifying offer and bust my hump to re-establish my value next season. He's not going to get any more than a 2 year deal for comparable money from any other teams this off season.

Yeah I was about to add to that.....that he may find he's not going to get what he wants out there and may have to turn back to the Jays. Seems his agent is setting up that possible scenario nicely

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

I think the structure of the Cespedes deal would be perfect for him.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

outfielder jose bautista does not plan to accept the toronto blue jays’ $17.2 million qualifying offer, sources tell fanrag sports.

although bautista would love to remain north of the border, several teams at the general managers meetings have already reached out or met with bautista, including another american league east ball club in the boston red sox. The 36-year-old is seeking a multi-year contract, preferably a long one.

Bautista was somewhat of a late bloomer when it comes to his success at the big league level. After arriving in toronto following stints with the baltimore orioles, kansas city royals, pittsburgh pirates and tampa bay rays, he owns a .255 career batting average with 308 home runs, 862 rbi and a .368 on-base percentage.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Per Morosi, Jays are showing an interest in my boy, Josh Reddick.

:yo:

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
What's the Reddick appeal? 10 homers from a corner outfielder? That sucks.

He'll hit 20+ at Rogers Centre if he plays 100 games.

Main thing though, he's fantastic against right handed pitchers, and hits for an excellent average against them. We already have a perfect platoon partner for him in Upton. And looking beyond Upton, you can usually find cheap platoon outfielders who can hit lefties on the market.

His defense will also be a huge upgrade on Saunders/Joey.

Finally...he's a great personality for a clubhouse that's often been accused of being less than healthy, and he likely won't require more than a 3 year contract.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Interesting. Surprised to see how long the term is but if he turns around to be even a league average regular, that's a massive bargain.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He'll hit 20+ at Rogers Centre if he plays 100 games.

Main thing though, he's fantastic against right handed pitchers, and hits for an excellent average against them. We already have a perfect platoon partner for him in Upton. And looking beyond Upton, you can usually find cheap platoon outfielders who can hit lefties on the market.

His defense will also be a huge upgrade on Saunders/Joey.

Finally...he's a great personality for a clubhouse that's often been accused of being less than healthy, and he likely won't require more than a 3 year contract.

What about Pompey? Is he kept and Carrera moved out? Is there a three-man rotation with Pompey, Reddick and Upton, or does Pompey stay in all of the time?

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Wait since when have the Jays had a bad clubhouse

I can't produce any empirical data for you on this one, Aub, and I know the analytics community has dismissed chemistry as a factor in baseball, but I'm sure you've seen various newspaper articles on this issue over the years, and as recent as September, pointing out clubhouse issues.

You also recall the positive articles and discussions that were had about Price's (and to a much lesser extent, Kawasaki's) positive influence in the clubhouse and its impact on our record.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
As someone who doesn't follow international baseball/prospects, who is he? What's his potential? Big deal?

He's one of the top international prospects available. Jays also, unlike San Diego, stay within their international spending limit as he waited post his 23rd birthday.

He's the younger brother of Yulierki Gurriel who recently signed with Houston.

Here's a mini-scouting blurb courtesy Ben Badler.

Baseball America’s Ben Badler ranked Gurriel as the fourth-best player in Cuba at the time, crediting his patient approach at the plate, bat speed and good command of the strike zone. Gurriel has “a chance to be a plus hitter with a high OBP†with potential 20-homer power. Gurriel has played all four infield positions and in left field during his brief career, mostly recently getting a chance at shortstop. Badler doubts he has the range to stick at the position in the majors, though he could be a plus defender at third base. There are some cons, however, as Longenhagen tweets that Gurriel has received some “mixed†reports from scouts — he has a long swing and may be a “bit of a project for 23.â€

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad