Waived: Fredrik Claesson (update: he cleared)

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Too much risk. Better to keep him up and just send Chabot back to Junior.

I'd prefer to see an evaluation of Chabot at the NHL level (when games actually matter, not just preseason) as he's far more valuable to the future of the organization than any of the other prospects we have on defense.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Yeah, it's really strange how NHL coaches keep doing that. I suppose there is a small chance that they actually might know something.

You've convinced me. NHL coaches are infallible and there's no reason for hockey boards because the coaches, managers and players always know best.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
You've convinced me. NHL coaches are infallible and there's no reason for hockey boards because the coaches, managers and players always know best.

Lol I always find these answers funny. They are normal people like us who have seen more and were at the right place right time. Doesn't make them perfect.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Did he have a good preseason? No. Did he out play boro? Ill lean to saying yes but the difference was very insignificant.

Long term i think were in a bad spot having either Claessan or boro on this team

I still think both are better then cowen

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Why isn't Lazar on LTIR? He's got mono...

I'd guess the IR is still an option for him. I'd guarantee it's one of the roster moves they're discussing right now.

Whats the length of minimum time a player must stay on LTIR?

10 games and 24 days.

Keep in mind that LTIR is a cap relief mechanism. In order to open a roster spot, we just need to place Lazar on the IR. The requirements for IR are only that he won't be able to play for the next 7 days, which seems pretty likely.

Claesson clearing waivers won't necessarily mean a demotion to the AHL. Odds are near 100% that he clears at the moment and it keeps the teams options open, that's why he's on them.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Did he have a good preseason? No. Did he out play boro? Ill lean to saying yes but the difference was very insignificant.

Long term i think were in a bad spot having either Claessan or boro on this team

I still think both are better then cowen

Claesson definitely had a better pre-season than Boro. Even without a pre-season evaluation, Claesson is a better passer, skater and IMO wouldn't take as much penalties due to his skating which is a bonus for us.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Claesson definitely had a better pre-season than Boro. Even without a pre-season evaluation, Claesson is a better passer, skater and IMO wouldn't take as much penalties due to his skating which is a bonus for us.

I think they are giving Boro the benefit of the doubt to start the season. He's a tough MF, that could be usefull to the team if he get his **** together.

I don't think it is fair to whine that this team suck, last year, because of the bad system , but don't give a chance to Boro. The new system could do him favor.

But, if he struggle, to start the season. That's the last strike for him. Put Claesson/Chabot in the lineup or trade for someone.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I think they are giving Boro the benefit of the doubt to start the season. He's a tough MF, that could be usefull to the team if he get his **** together.

I don't think it is fair to whine that this team suck, last year, because of the bad system , but don't give a chance to Boro. The new system could do him favor.

But, if he struggle, to start the season. That's the last strike for him. Put Claesson/Chabot in the lineup or trade for someone.

That would make sense and be understandable if Guy's system didn't center around speed and puck possession which Boro definitely lacks.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
That would make sense and be understandable if Guy's system didn't center around speed and puck possession which Boro definitely lacks.

I agree, but when you evaluate the probable reason why Boro will be on the starting lineup on opening night. The principle reason might be that they are giving him the benefit of the doubt and they give him a chance to prove.

That's why a think he start with 2 strike. If he can't play the system, it is a strikeout for him.

Claesson is definitely better right now, no doubt. But Boro has a one-way contract. Better or Not, Boro is starting with an advantage.

From Boucher's interview yesterday. They have almost solely worked on the defensive system. in ther D zone. They didn't even practice to O-zone. Let's hope he will look better.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dorion and perhaps Murray are part of these decisions as well I would think.

It's possible
- The decision on the 7 D is not final
- They thought Claesson would clear and allow that decision/picture to play out in the future.
- They want to give Chabot 9 games to either stick or be sent back
- Boro gets the early benefit of the doubt for any number of possible reasons.

IMO this picture clears up after 9 games and although I think Claesson is a better player than Boro, that decision is not going to make or break us in those 9 games.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Dorion and perhaps Murray are part of these decisions as well I would think.

It's possible
- The decision on the 7 D is not final
- They thought Claesson would clear and allow that decision/picture to play out in the future.
- They want to give Chabot 9 games to either stick or be sent back
- Boro gets the early benefit of the doubt for any number of possible reasons.

IMO this picture clears up after 9 games and although I think Claesson is a better player than Boro, that decision is not going to make or break us in those 9 games.

Also, by sending Claesson down, if he clear, he's at least going to play some game.
He will play 20+ min in the AHL, And if Boro fail, Claesson will be in game shape.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It's pretty clear that Chabot gets 9, and if he gets sent down Claesson will be the 6/7 D. As long as he clears this will work out ok.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Speed and puck possession aren't exactly Claesson's bread and butter, either.

I mean, I'm not cheering for Boro or anything here, and I think I'd prefer Claesson over Boro like most others, but at the same time it's not like Claesson is the platonic ideal defenceman for Boucher's system either. He's a "safe" player that offers very little upside. He is almost assuredly not going to be an offensive player at any level in the NHL, so his value is in playing sound & smart hockey, playing within his own limitations, and leaning on better players around him to do the skill work. Which is fine, and he's good at all of that, and again I need to mention that yes he's probably a better option than Boro... but the gap isn't huge, IMO.

Claesson trades away Boro's physicality for more responsibility, more of a bit of a calming presence on that 3rd pair. I like that. But let's not fool ourselves here - the floor and ceiling on both guys aren't too far from eachother, IMO, they just offer different things. I like the "safe" guy more in Claesson than the "hitz" guy in Boro, but they're both fringe.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

I mean, I'm not cheering for Boro or anything here, and I think I'd prefer Claesson over Boro like most others, but at the same time it's not like Claesson is the platonic ideal defenceman for Boucher's system either. He's a "safe" player that offers very little upside. He is almost assuredly not going to be an offensive player at any level in the NHL, so his value is in playing sound & smart hockey, playing within his own limitations, and leaning on better players around him to do the skill work. Which is fine, and he's good at all of that, and again I need to mention that yes he's probably a better option than Boro... but the gap isn't huge, IMO.

Claesson trades away Boro's physicality for more responsibility, more of a bit of a calming presence on that 3rd pair. I like that. But let's not fool ourselves here - the floor and ceiling on both guys aren't too far from eachother, IMO, they just offer different things. I like the "safe" guy more in Claesson than the "hitz" guy in Boro, but they're both fringe.

Agreed that the difference between Boro and Claesson isn't significant but there is a difference and a noticeable one, to me and it seems to many others anyways. I guess its the lesser of 2 evils especially after watching a season of Boro, it's not a system's thing with him, its what's going on upstairs.

But with that being said, I have divulged too much time over that lone spot on the bottom pairing when it comes to Boro :laugh:

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Being waived doesn't mean being sent down immediately. He could still play tomorrow night. Just sayin.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I feel like we saw a lot of different looks during Murray's tenure as Coach & GM with regard to the defense. 4-2 offensive, 2-4 defensive, 3-3, 1-5 defensive. IMO, no matter the era; anything greater than 4 of a dimension leaves us open to having a fatal flaw. There's room in the league for a guy like Claessen to provide a foil to Wideman. Heck, there'd be room for Boro to do it if he played a smarter game within his limitations.

As for Claessen's waivers, it just looks like the team is hedging their bets against Chabot's 9 game tryout and our injury situation up front.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

The difference is the quality of decision making even if one assumes the talent level is equal (and it isn't).

Boro's first and only choice is to be physical regardless of the outcome.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Being waived doesn't mean being sent down immediately. He could still play tomorrow night. Just sayin.

Warren says if he clears he will join Bingo... just sayin

I do not disagree with your point .. Its possible ...IMO he's going to Bingo though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad