Injury Report: Frederik Andersen UPD - Practiced Monday

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Babcock says Andersen will see Team Doctors tomorrow and they'll go from there.

----

I don't have a good feeling.

Reminds me of the 13-14 season when Bernier had an amazing season, team was in a playoff spot, he got injured with like 14-15 games left, the team ended up winning just like, 3 or 4 of the remaining games, and fell down the standings.

It got us Nylander though

Hahaha, Cor loves bringing this up. :laugh:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
That's actually a completely solid statement. This team's string of success relied on some extremely good goaltending. McElhinney doesn't have that in him right now. So unless you are presuming Sparks will go into God Mode....yeah the season is entirely in jeopardy if this injury is remotely serious. The games are getting tighter. The Leafs aren't going to be able to just go full offense and try to win every game 5-4.

Nothing to facepalm about that statement. It may be wrong. But the odds are good for it to be right. This is as serious a blow to the team's chances to make the playoffs as anything.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
The home team doctor is connected with the local hospitals. The visiting team doctor couldn't offer anything more than an opinion. There is nothing silly or reckless about it.

Thanks for the info.

Maybe I'm confusing doctors with trainers as I was thinking bigger picture. As in let's say a serious situation occurred (Malarchuk immediately comes to mind). I thought each team doctor would be available to help. But perhaps it's just the trainers like I said.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Hmmmm
Andersen was involved in two first-period collisions – one with Buffalo’s William Carrier and another with Evander Kane. Cameras caught the goalie shaking his head shortly after Kane fell on him.

Babcock didn’t want to elaborate when asked if the Leafs took any issue with the decision to remove Andersen from the game.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Hopefully the spotters/doctor just saw the head hit and took him out as a precaution, and he doesn't actually have a concussion.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Hopefully the spotters/doctor just saw the head hit and took him out as a precaution, and he doesn't actually have a concussion.

Just getting up slowly after a head hit is enough to pull a player out for further testing. if he passed the test he would be able to come back. Here's a list of reasons a player gets pulled.

"The new protocol requires that the player be evaluated by a physician if he exhibits any of the following:
Loss of consciousness
Motor incoordination/balance problems
Slow to get up following a hit to the head
Blank or vacant look
Disorientation
Clutching the head after a hit
Visible facial injury in combination with any of the above
The physician will perform the evaluation in “…a quiet place free from distraction†(i.e. not the bench), and will use a standardized assessment tool – the NHL SCAT 2 (sports concussion assessment tool)."
from http://obia.ca/new-nhl-concussion-guidelines-lets-get-the-doctor-involved/

It is weird though. It seems any medical personnel placed in that role or any official can put players into protocol, but it also says the suspected player may not return until approved by his team's doctor. I don't know if that's an oversight in wording and any of the doctors can pass him, or if it really means only the players team doctors can approve it. It seems like a pretty big loophole if there's a dozen people who can pull a player out of a game, but only the team doctor, that doesn't travel with the team all the time, can ok them to come back.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Babcock says Andersen will see Team Doctors tomorrow and they'll go from there.

----

I don't have a good feeling.

Reminds me of the 13-14 season when Bernier had an amazing season, team was in a playoff spot, he got injured with like 14-15 games left, the team ended up winning just like, 3 or 4 of the remaining games, and fell down the standings.

It got us Nylander though

Or it can remind you of the 12-13 season when Reimer went down and Scrivens came in an held the fort.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
So it sounds like Buffalo exploited the concussion protocol to get him pulled. I bet he doesn't miss any time. At most a game hopefully.

What would have made me depressed is if they said lower body injury. Even a minor LBI can throw a goalie off. What is a goalie without the lower body ?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

toronto still owns third place in the atlantic division, but it doesn’t have much margin for error with the bruins now one point behind. The islanders (three points) and lightning (four points) remain close, too.

should the leafs be without andersen for any length of time, they’d likely be looking at a tandem of mcelhinney and 23-year-old garret sparks, who currently has a .925 save percentage in the american hockey league but struggled over 17 nhl appearances last season.

The organization has not left itself with a proven plan b beyond its no. 1 man.

andersen was making his career-high 61st appearance on saturday because the only time he’s sat out all year is in the second half of back-to-backs. Worse still, he had been delivering his strongest play since arriving in toronto with a .938 save percentage over the last 13 games.

He was a major reason for the enthusiasm that accompanied the team to buffalo for a road game that felt like it was being played at air canada centre.

Keato

Apr 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
So it sounds like Buffalo exploited the concussion protocol to get him pulled. I bet he doesn't miss any time. At most a game hopefully.

What would have made me depressed is if they said lower body injury. Even a minor LBI can throw a goalie off. What is a goalie without the lower body ?

I highly doubt they would do that. Such an act would be catastrophic if it were true.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
"The new protocol requires that the player be evaluated by a physician if he exhibits any of the following:
Loss of consciousness
Motor incoordination/balance problems
Slow to get up following a hit to the head
Blank or vacant look
Disorientation
Clutching the head after a hit
Visible facial injury in combination with any of the above ...

But this describes Leaf's goaltending for years.

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015
Watching both those hits...Not saying I'm right but during the "Kane" hit. Gionta #12 for the sabre slashes Andy on the glove side wrist. Not once but twice pretty good. The first one is a tomahawk overhand across the glove hand. May be a Ubi they are looking at his wrist after discomfort after the 1st.

And for the record. I'm tired of all you doomsayers. We can do this

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
this is Leaf Country - the most fertile land on the planet for a goaltender controversy, which we haven't had in almost a year now. if Anderson is out, i fully expect Sparks to assume the mantle and run with it. perhaps even win a round or two so that we can spend the entire summer posting ad nauseam about who is the superior goalie in the Sparks vs. Anderson thread.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Heard that the sabres just bought the doctor a new car tonight..lol

Sabers' doctor this morning.

fqQsE.gif

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
We didn't lose because of Andersen leaving the game.. so that conspiracy can go away lol.

No confidence in McBackup down the stretch. Luckily we just need to go roughly .500 to make it in.. but I'm not sure if we can even do that with him in it. Sparks may be getting the call.

Serious thought: Say Andersen is ruled out for 2 weeks. Would it make any sense at all to trade for a competent goalie to finish off the regular season? He wouldn't be playoff eligible but it'd be enough to hold the fort til Andersen is back.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Felt comfortable resigning McEihenny next year as the back up...,but all of a sudden I am nervous. I guess the remainder of the season will give us and the Leafs a better understanding if they need to improve in net if Andersen does miss some games. Fingers crossed

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
We didn't lose because of Andersen leaving the game.. so that conspiracy can go away lol.

No confidence in McBackup down the stretch. Luckily we just need to go roughly .500 to make it in.. but I'm not sure if we can even do that with him in it. Sparks may be getting the call.

Serious thought: Say Andersen is ruled out for 2 weeks. Would it make any sense at all to trade for a competent goalie to finish off the regular season? He wouldn't be playoff eligible but it'd be enough to hold the fort til Andersen is back.

Can they trade after the trade deadline?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad