Speculation: Freddy Andersens worth in trade?

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
He's worth way more to us than in a trade.

With Holtby and Kuemper available in trade, teams will be reluctant to give up assets for him until after the draft and maybe even after how free agency shapes up.

We should keep him because without him, I highly doubt we even make the playoffs.

Ok but with Andersen in net, I highly doubt we ever win a round in the playoffs.

I'd trade Freddy and pick up a young goaltender like Georgiev to do a tandem with Campbell or sign a UFA goaltender.

Reactions: supermann_98

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Lehner signing for $5,000,000 changes things. Andersen can take the same contract with us and we keep him. He’s no better or worse than Lehner. Now Dubas has a comparable to extend him with. Give him the front load with limited NTC and its best to keep him.

Reactions: trellaine201

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Lehner signing for $5,000,000 changes things. Andersen can take the same contract with us and we keep him. He’s no better or worse than Lehner. Now Dubas has a comparable to extend him with. Give him the front load with limited NTC and its best to keep him.

He's not good enough when it matters. Would rather go with a young, cost-effective tandem in net.

Reactions: Menzinger

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Reported that Toronto and Carolina were talking Freddie Andersen but the Leafs asked for Dougie Hamilton and that was a no-go.

Kind of makes sense. We probably need to add to get Hamilton. But in both cases there's 1 year left on the deal so it shouldn't be a lot more.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kind of makes sense. We probably need to add to get Hamilton. But in both cases there's 1 year left on the deal so it shouldn't be a lot more.

Yeah. The way I see it, the value is close between two pending UFAs, but the $1 million in real salary that's owed to Andersen is real value for a mom and pop owner. If they want to turn up their noses at that, whatever. Maybe we just sign Hamilton next offseason.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Reported that Toronto and Carolina were talking Freddie Andersen but the Leafs asked for Dougie Hamilton and that was a no-go.

for now it is.

Apparently wants to Wait to see what Petro gets to use as a base for an extension. IF that’s a no go I can see a Freddie plus for Hamilton.

in a pandemic the canes would be saving 5 million. That’s worth a fair bit.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
for now it is.

Apparently wants to Wait to see what Petro gets to use as a base for an extension. IF that’s a no go I can see a Freddie plus for Hamilton.

in a pandemic the canes would be saving 5 million. That’s worth a fair bit.

Hmm, that complicates things if we end up signing Pietrangelo, which would eliminate the need for a Hamilton trade altogether.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Hmm, that complicates things if we end up signing Pietrangelo, which would eliminate the need for a Hamilton trade altogether.

yep. I think that was the earlier talks. Petro complicates things. My guess is

1.) we talk to Petro if he gets there. If he goes with us we trade Freddie and pick up a cheaper goalie.

2.) if he says no. Then we look at tanev/demelo/Brodie.

3.) we circle back on trades like Hamilton.

I want them to just offer sheet cernak and call it a day. But it seems like we are going a different route

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Let's the league know Andersson is available.

Also let's them know the price is not low. But anyone gets a "deal" for something less than Hamilton.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Anderson body language is really bad after he lets in a bad goal. His overall body language is bad, like he is about to snap or is holding in some anger. U can tell he is rattled at times and hiding it with a poker face. So why would a GM give up something that would help the Leafs for him? The 5 million cap hit and 1 million in real money seems to be the biggest asset in getting Anderson now especially given how teams have lost money during this time.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Fun with numbers.

Most everyone agrees Carey Price was great in this years playoffs. Save % .936 shows this is correct.

Most everyone agrees Khudobin was great in this years playoffs
.907 save% for his first 2 rounds and .910 in the finals. HMMMMM

MANY were not happy with Freddy's playoff and he was .936

Just saying...

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
As an HFBoards poster, I feel obligated to speculate that we will sign King Hank to a 1 year, league minimum contract, leaving us to trade Freddie for a 1st round pick and an A Prospect.

...But then again, we don't come to HFBoards for logical trade proposals.
I hate the idea of Lundqvist here because I simply don't think he's good anymore, but I'm still mildly intrigued. Has to be the Belfour effect.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Most everyone agrees Carey Price was great in this years playoffs. Save % .936 shows this is correct.

I don't think most everyone agrees that Khudobin was "great" in the playoffs (he had a 0.917 BTW), but there are some differences here:

Price: Faced the 7th and 10th highest scoring teams. Team in front got outplayed, and put up below average defensive results.

Khudobin: Faced the 1st, 3rd, 13th, and 20th highest scoring teams. Team in front got outplayed, and put up bad defensive results.

Andersen: Faced the 28th highest scoring team. Team in front outplayed the opposition, and put up above average defensive results.

Also, when you look further into the numbers, Andersen's weakness relative to his peers was on low percentage shots, which matches the eye test, and can be really damaging in a playoff series. It's not that Andersen was bad, but he's never really shown an ability to steal games, and that's a bit concerning considering that pretty much all successful teams have goalies that do that occasionally in the playoffs, and we faced a goalie that did.

EC

Nov 10, 2016
A roster player...and pick

if he's extended that pick is probably a 1st

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Fun with numbers.

Just saying...
Watch goals against ... did you see Price give up 3-4 house league goals? did you see Khudobiin give up 3-4 house league goals? Forget about tips/screens but pure bad goals on weak shots from bad spots where goalie could see puck clear. Those are back breaking goals against. Yes he makes some real nice 10 bellers. But his issue is too many house league goals at worst times. 0 for 8 when it counts. Says it all.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Andersen has poor spells of play, last season in particular, in spite of that he’s been more or less stellar while netminding behind a run and gun system with below average defensive play.

Fact is, not only is there no realistic upgrade available, but by-the-numbers he’s been better for us than Cujo was behind a stronger team. The ultra fan-favourite Cujo.

Freddy, who played 26 less game as a Leaf than Cujo, has faced 541 more shots over their Leafs careers ... he made exactly 541 more saves.

Why it’s apparent that Freddy isn’t the problem is because behind a team with better D (and team D) he shared a Jennings trophy and posted GAA’s of 2.29, 2.38, and 2.30. He also went to the 3rd round as a starter for Anaheim.

Feels like one of those situations where we get rid of a player and he becomes an important piece on a better team who contends for hardware and the Cup every year.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

EC

Nov 10, 2016
more than what "non leafs fans" say...less than what Leafs fans want

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I hate the idea of Lundqvist here because I simply don't think he's good anymore, but I'm still mildly intrigued. Has to be the Belfour effect.
His worst numbers are against us so either that would be great because he'll play well against everybody else, or he'll stink it up in our building so badly that we'll run him out in 20 games lol

Honestly though he's not a terrible option but there are a bunch of better ones out there that I hope we go after first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad