Player Discussion Frank Vatrano

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I dont think anyone wouldn't want him to stay. The issue is the contract.

Palat got 5x6mil and that will be 3 years before Vatrano's next contract. Vatrano will be the same age and a comparable role. Even if we give Palat the edge because he has more of a track record and cups, but with the cap going up I could easily see Vatrano getting 5-6 mil for 5 years.

Do you really want to pay Vatrano that much until age 36?
Someone will see him as the final piece and overpay him. I really hope it isnt the Ducks.
In addition to the value we get back given he is having a career year. He hasn’t done anything away from Mctavish.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
If you think this year is the new and improved Frank Vatrano, pay the man. If you think it's an outlier, don't. He isn't taking a discount to stay with the Ducks.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I really don't want to see the Ducks end up with their own David Clarkson contract situation, that guy had a career year and the Leafs overpaid him. The Ducks already have Killorn who's looking like a bad contract and there is 3 more years of Strome too.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Ducks should do nothing and see what next year brings. If Frank keeps putting up numbers, with or without McTavish, PV can decide then.

Moving Vatrano now is based on potentially maximizing his return for an unknown that never makes it to Vatrano’s level.

Vatrano is a lunch box player who can score and plays with a constant chip on his shoulder. You can always find players with a chip, but they generally don’t put up the numbers.

Refreshing to see a productive Duck who plays like that.

John

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Good player 23-24 around fifty points but wants Kakko instead in trade with Vatrano.

giphy.gif

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Thanks for sharing that! Really glad to hear how happy Frank and his family are in Anaheim. The price to move him would have to be quite significant, or else he's a big part of the current top six group.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thanks for sharing that! Really glad to hear how happy Frank and his family are in Anaheim. The price to move him would have to be quite significant, or else he's a big part of the current top six group.

If he loves it here, hopefully he can take a friendly team discount to stay a couple of more years past this contract. I don’t see a player like Vatrano slowing down anytime soon.

Rather have Vatrano here than some stupid futures that may never even see the NHL. The return would have to be something pretty damn big and more a nhl ready prospect or younger roster player.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Money talks. He wants to be here because he gets top 6 and PP minutes. We are the best chance at him getting a huge payday next summer.

If he really wants to be here then sign this summer for another 3 year deal around the same he makes now.

It’s all business. He wants to get paid and the Ducks want to get assets for a guy unlikely to ever repeat it.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Money talks. He wants to be here because he gets top 6 and PP minutes. We are the best chance at him getting a huge payday next summer.

If he really wants to be here then sign this summer for another 3 year deal around the same he makes now.

It’s all business. He wants to get paid and the Ducks want to get assets for a guy unlikely to ever repeat it.

I think we need Vatrano for at least one more year till Gauthier can take on a Top 6 role. Have a lot of high hopes for him.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I think we need Vatrano for at least one more year till Gauthier can take on a Top 6 role. Have a lot of high hopes for him.
Ya, no issue with keeping him another year unless someone makes an offer we can't refuse, but his desire to stay in Anaheim should have nothing to do with it. The Ducks have no business paying him the contract he will likely be looking for:
Palat
Bertuzzi
Rakell

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
Hate repeating myself, Vatrano is the type of guy you keep. He's scores goals, he's passionate, he cares about winning, he cares about the team, and isn't backing down.

It is unlikely he will be a big part of next contention cycle due to age (I doubt he'll be as effective at around 35), but he's exactly the type of player to bridge that gap and help young team grow.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Hate repeating myself, Vatrano is the type of guy you keep. He's scores goals, he's passionate, he cares about winning, he cares about the team, and isn't backing down.

It is unlikely he will be a big part of next contention cycle due to age (I doubt he'll be as effective at around 35), but he's exactly the type of player to bridge that gap and help young team grow.
I think most of us on this board are in agreement. You don't trade someone like Frank when you are trying to rebuild. He's giving us exactly what we need. It only makes sense if an offer was worthy of the move, like a legitimate playable high-end prospect. If that isn't offered, then we absolutely should say no. Futures with picks or unready prospects should be a firm no, we already have plenty of those.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
thank god none of you are GMs. you sell high, buy low. Vatrano is HIGH right now to a team needing to make the final push for the playoffs.

He doesn't fit the timeline.

You sell him.

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
thank god none of you are GMs. you sell high, buy low. Vatrano is HIGH right now to a team needing to make the final push for the playoffs.

You sell him.
I want to hear about this buy low process by one of the worst teams in the NHL and in a high tax state.

John

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California

You sell him.

You want to trade one of the only goal scores on the team to then trade for the same type of player right after?

Why trade a good player who wants to be here for someone with low value? If the player has low value, what are the chances he's better than Vatrano? Players going out have to be replaced. The Ducks cannot only have young players. Vets matter.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

You sell him.
There are future costs to trading a player who does not wish to be traded with more than 1 year left on his contract. UFA’s will notice and it’ll be yet another hit against signing here, and trading a popular team leader before it’s necessary will also be bad for how current players view management. Nobody wants to play for a team where all you are is the next chip to trade for more magic beans.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
Heres the problem.. What exactly is the timeline?
Our best players are early 20s. This guy is 30.

If we are competing, it will be in 5 years

You want to trade one of the only goal scores on the team to then trade for the same type of player right after?

Why trade a good player who wants to be here for someone with low value? If the player has low value, what are the chances he's better than Vatrano? Players going out have to be replaced. The Ducks cannot only have young players. Vets matter.
Who said im asking for a similar player? You get prospects or picks for him

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
There are future costs to trading a player who does not wish to be traded with more than 1 year left on his contract. UFA’s will notice and it’ll be yet another hit against signing here, and trading a popular team leader before it’s necessary will also be bad for how current players view management. Nobody wants to play for a team where all you are is the next chip to trade for more magic beans.
This is sports, its a business. Its not the girl scouts. Look at football. Everyone gets moved if you dont peform. You move pieces to win, not sit on players while you are last in the league

Thats the problem with you guys. Value our players too much, much more than they are worth. Silf, flower, gib should all have been moved the year when cogs was traded

You have a team located in prime california to attract players. Thats what you have going for you.

I want to hear about this buy low process by one of the worst teams in the NHL and in a high tax state.

John
You answered your own question. We are the worst team in the league. You sell the guy whos high. Whats the point of having him on a team thats the worst in the league?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Our best players are early 20s. This guy is 30.

If we are competing, it will be in 5 years

Who said im asking for a similar player? You get prospects or picks for him
For the playoffs? That should be in2-3 years.

You need a similar player as veteran leadership. The kids clearly aren’t cutting it for the next several years.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
For the playoffs? That should be in2-3 years.

You need a similar player as veteran leadership. The kids clearly aren’t cutting it for the next several years.
The worst team in the league to competing for the first round in the playoffs is a dream.

I do hoe cutter does that for us though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad