Confirmed with Link: Francis out as GM - Don Waddell named GM 5/8/18

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That much has been literally obvious since the beginning. It's just a bunch of round and round and the "press" is conflating the obvious with the absurd.

It was obvious from the beginning that Dundon was looking for a puppet GM? Then why did we have so many on here denying that's what he wants when it was first hinted at?

There's enough out there to read between the lines:

1. Dundon admits he doesn't know much about hockey or running a team, but admits to being a "hands on" owner.
2. Dundon says he wants to puts a system in place that leaves very little gray area in decision-making. Everything is black and white (or green and red in his example).
3. Candidates are worried about how much authority they'll have if they take the GM job.

Even if we ignore the 400k rumor, those three things put together paint a worrisome picture.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Is it possible Dundon is being vilified here? It sounds like a lot of BS claims with no actual proof, and then I remember Dundon is a meddling outsider, from Texas with zero ties to hockey, and just fired Ron Francis, the ex-star hockey player turned milquetoast GM everyone loves, but isn't threatened by.

Not just possible, but probable, IMO. While I'm sure the reporters here aren't outright lying, I'm sure they're drawing conclusions from the facts that are favorable to their preconceived biases and running on highly unreliable rumors. We've all had enough experience with the hockey media to know that they're wildly biased in certain areas, and that journalistic ethics are close to nonexistent with many hockey reporters and outlets. Until we hear any of this from somebody who actually covers the Canes on any subject other than their impending relocation to Quebec, I'm going to assume it's all bullshit.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I really don't like the Friedman quote about the authority issue. I believe that guy. This pretty strongly reinforces the concept that Dundon is attempting to change the GM role. I'm pretty concerned about that.

Vellucci is becoming the obvious choice, and we are really looking like a clown show to everyone else. Whether its backlash to a Texas billionaire firing a good ole Canadian boy or not, we didn't need this on top of sucking.

30 other GM's seem pretty legit in their ability to handle all those tasks assigned to them. Why TD needs to rearrange that, I don't get it. If the salary report is true.....woof.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
RF stands pat on TDL and TD decides to fire him that week.

I wasn't annoyed at the lack of moves...just think it's a fair theory for why he was fired...at least in part.

I recall you suggesting RF fell on his sword prior to the PR statements about the like-mind war-room.

Maybe those press releases and public comments about agreement were false and just PR damage control. If TD was pissed, is it gonna do anyone any good to be transparent...other than journalists that is.
And my theory about the sword was quickly proven wrong, I said so the same day.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I really don't like the Friedman quote about the authority issue. I believe that guy. This pretty strongly reinforces the concept that Dundon is attempting to change the GM role. I'm pretty concerned about that.

Vellucci is becoming the obvious choice, and we are really looking like a clown show to everyone else. Whether its backlash to a Texas billionaire firing a good ole Canadian boy or not, we didn't need this on top of sucking.

30 other GM's seem pretty legit in their ability to handle all those tasks assigned to them. Why TD needs to rearrange that, I don't get it. If the salary report is true.....woof.
Well except Jim Benning who is a complete idiot....

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
the story of Dundon wanting to go cheap on a new GM and candidates dropping out because of that revelation just doesn't make any damn sense. he knows what Francis makes, he has Karmanos in his ear for varying degrees of counsel on this subject and others, and he's no stranger to executive salaries in the credit and financial sector.

there may have been something in Dundon's meetings with candidates that threw up red flags, but I doubt wanting to save a few hundred thousand on the most impactful front office position was the thing. hell, claiming a player on waivers alone can cost up to $90k. wanting to pinch pennies here just doesn't have an upside at all.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I find that new article interesting in that it says Fenton, Futa and Fitzgerald all already interviewed for the position. Then pulled themselves out of the race. That feeds the rumors of things like pay and duties for sure.

I do believe the timing was poor, who leaves their team right now? Most of these guys are in the middle of a playoff race for their teams. I agree we don’t want to go into free agency without a gm but there’s time between now and then.

I just don’t like the way we’re gonna be dragged through the mud during all this. This teams been a punching bag long enough.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I find it odd that there’s a subset of people on here just willing to completely dismiss reports as total bullshit.

Then again a majority of folks on here dismissed comments from actual teammates of Semin that he was a lazy f*** that didn’t give a shit so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
I tweeted Chip Alexander asking him to get answers. Doubt it has any effect but this stuff is stupid. Sounds like some made up crap by Canadian media to smear our franchise, either because Dundon stole a relocation team away from Canada or because they fired Francis. Dundon needs to nip this rumor quickly I wouldn’t want this negative news, true or false, hanging over this offseason when we are making a run at players. This whole thing has been nothing but jumping to conclusions when Dundon has said himself that he’s going to surround himself with good hockey minds and that he himself knows little about hockey. Why not give a chance? All this may be true but damn. What the F else is there. Is not like we’ve made the playoffs recently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad