Confirmed with Link: Francis out as GM - Don Waddell named GM 5/8/18

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I can't imagine that's true. I mean, he'd have to be completely out of touch to make that offer.

However, if he is, I can bet it's because he believes his "red light/green light" plan means the GM won't be doing much and thus doesn't deserve to get paid as much.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
This just seems like a massive smear campaign. How often are GM searches this public with detail after detail leaking out? Why is the Canadian media suddenly this infatuated with the Hurricanes? I keep seeing Canadian hockey writers making snide comments every time a candidate backs out. Usually, I don’t buy into the Canada is out to get us story (I still don’t, I just think the loudest people happen to be traditionalists). But I think Ron Francis getting fired really pissed off A LOT of people and these guys are using their platforms to make this job seem like hell in its purest form

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
This just seems like a massive smear campaign. How often are GM searches this public with detail after detail leaking out? Why is the Canadian media suddenly this infatuated with the Hurricanes? I keep seeing Canadian hockey writers making snide comments every time a candidate backs out. Usually, I don’t buy into the Canada is out to get us story. But I think Ron Francis getting fired really pissed off A LOT of people and these guys are using their platforms to make this job seem like hell in its purest form
Well, if this isn’t true, then he should deny it. Simple. I look forward to the denial.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
That's obvious trolling. That number would almost certainly be below what those guys are making as AGMs.
I wouldn't be so easy to dismiss it. 3 guys have already removed their names from the search early in the process. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

This just seems like a massive smear campaign. How often are GM searches this public with detail after detail leaking out? Why is the Canadian media suddenly this infatuated with the Hurricanes? I keep seeing Canadian hockey writers making snide comments every time a candidate backs out. Usually, I don’t buy into the Canada is out to get us story (I still don’t, I just think the loudest people happen to be traditionalists). But I think Ron Francis getting fired really pissed off A LOT of people and these guys are using their platforms to make this job seem like hell in its purest form
I wish it were that, but I just don't see why anyone not invested in the Canes would care so much to constantly try to smear the organization, especially now that's it been awhile since he was fired.

Last edited by a moderator:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm sure Francis was making more than that, and I'm sure Dundon knew what he made. So not knowing doesn't seem like a good excuse. I really hope it isn't true, because it would be beyond Mickey Mouse organization stuff.

Again, I'd love the true heavy hitter insiders or someone in our market, even just mouthpiece of the organization style, would report on this salary issue. And other aspects of this process.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It really doesn't make sense.

He knows it's a low-ball offer. He would know the details of other GMs and AGMs around the league (or he could find out easily). So he'd have to be offering low for a reason. But for what reason?

He could already have someone in mind, but knows the fanbase wouldn't be happy with the choice. Possibly Velluci or (god forbid) Waddell. So he takes a "shotgun" approach to finding candidates, makes it very public, then low-balls them. When everyone else is rejected, he goes for "his guy" and tells the fanbase that it's the best candidate after a long search. He gets his guy and comes out of it smelling like roses.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
That's not giving us as fans much credit. You just cracked it (if it were/is true) and it hasn't even happened yet. And there's no way he smells like roses with those choices to intelligent fans. I guess they'd be banking on casual fans not knowing any different.

There have been plenty of organizations in all sports to make unpopular decisions without making a show of interviewing fake candidates. If he wants a puppet GM, just hire one and look like an idiot once rather than have all this thrown out there and look like an idiot and then look like an idiot again after the puppet is hired. It's all so convoluted it still seems unbelievable. But we'll know the truth by the end result.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That's not giving us as fans much credit. You just cracked it (if it were/is true) and it hasn't even happened yet. And there's no way he smells like roses with those choices to intelligent fans. I guess they'd be banking on casual fans not knowing any different.

I mean, not to bring this up again, but look how he made his money. Taking advantage of those who don't know any better doesn't seem like a stretch.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
So possibilities:
A. Dundon has been completely sincere in offering $400K and is just an idiot.
B. He wants a puppet GM (why would you interview top candidates then? Basically going back to implying Dundon is an idiot)
C. Already has someone he's going to hire, search process is just a PR smokescreen.. except what is the point of that? This makes him look like more of an idiot than if he just straight up announced Vellucci in June without all of this bs. So basically it means he's an idiot.
D. The salary report is fake along with everything else we know and love. The universe is just a computer simulation designed to f*** with us.

Really the 400K salary makes this clearly a puppet position, but that contradicts a seemingly otherwise serious interview process. I have to imagine vellucci or waddell wouldn't even want that position since they likely make twice that
now. This is just so absurd that no part of it can be rationalized.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Normally, I'd agree Hank, but now Elliotte Friedman's involved. Hes one of the best in the business. Not one to typically jump on hearsay and rumors.

Dismissing O'Neil and Krypeos is easy. If Friedman is talking about candidates being worried about how much control they'll have in the organization, then it starts to get worrisome.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I don't buy any of this.

There's no way he'd be offering any of these candidates $400k for a GM job. He'd literally be asking any of these candidates to make a pay cut from an AGM position. There's no reason to do it.

This is a game of telephone going ape****.
Agree. That number is less than 1/2 of the lowest paid GM.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Normally, I'd agree Hank, but now Elliotte Friedman's involved. Hes one of the best in the business. Not one to typically jump on hearsay and rumors.

Dismissing O'Neil and Krypeos is easy. If Friedman is talking about candidates being worried about how much control they'll have in the organization, then it starts to get worrisome.

Jesus f***ing Christ. Read the article. Friedman doesn't reference that 400k number anywhere. The only reference is to someone referencing Kypreos's on air comment.

Friedman confirms only that Dundon is taking the search underground -- and it's pretty obvious why. The Canadian hockey media is looking for a circus.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Jesus ****ing Christ. Read the article. Friedman doesn't reference that 400k number anywhere. The only reference is to someone referencing Kypreos's on air comment.

Friedman confirms only that Dundon is taking the search underground -- and it's pretty obvious why. The Canadian hockey media is looking for a circus.

I did read the article, which is why I mentioned the Friedman quote at the end of it.

"There were some people who felt how much authority would they really have over decision making," Friedman said on Saturday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad