Franchise Hockey Manager 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
I find it poorly done by fhm2 ppl who do mods that they dont put a readme file in their zip files... anyone know where to put the facegn fg files, jersey files and face files into what directories?

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
I just bought the game on steam. Are there downloads for names/faces/logos that I can get? If so, can someone direct me to them?

Thanks!

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
NY Islanders and Carolina Hurricanes available in full 30 team online league. Just entering November in game date. Very active and immersive league.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Noticed that immediately following the draft, you can get the top players for pretty much nothing. To test it, I traded Jay Harrison for Chychrun and had the offer accepted.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Noticed that immediately following the draft, you can get the top players for pretty much nothing. To test it, I traded Jay Harrison for Chychrun and had the offer accepted.

What version are you playing? I've tried about 8 different times to replicate that with no success so far.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Also did you hit force trade or offer trade? Force trade makes the trade go through no matter what.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Also did you hit force trade or offer trade? Force trade makes the trade go through no matter what.

Nope, offered the trade, below is the message I got back from Buffalo who accepted the deal. As you can see, it's not the same message as you would get from forcing the trade. I did the trade immediately after the draft where they only had the rights and had not signed him to a contract.

Screen_Shot_2015_12_09_at_8_33_49_PM.png

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Nope, offered the trade, below is the message I got back from Buffalo who accepted the deal. As you can see, it's not the same message as you would get from forcing the trade. I did the trade immediately after the draft where they only had the rights and had not signed him to a contract.

Screen_Shot_2015_12_09_at_8_33_49_PM.png

That is definitely odd. I can't replicate it even with other teams and similar rated players. I'd mention it on the OOTP forums along with posting the screenshot they may ask some follow up questions but it helps in making the trade A.I. better.

SerbianEagle

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I still find it kind of disappointing. I just started a game with Edmonton, went through the first season, barely missing the playoffs. In the off-season signed David Backes and then I noticed a news item that caused me to quit the game...

Buffalo traded Jiri Hudler to Calgary for a prospect....so I thought that was weird because Hudler is a Calgary player...well, he was...and is again...

He signed a 6 year UFA deal with Buffalo, only for Buffalo to turn around and trade him to Calgary the next day. :shakehead

I can understand how the game doesn't recognize names, but this has nothing to do with a "real name" player getting traded. This is all on the trade engine and roster AI.

I posted this very issue on their site a few days ago, and not a single reply from developers. As much as I love OOTP 16 (all the way back to version 1), I cannot stand their hockey product.

Won't bother with this game until next release.

brentdog

Dec 9, 2015
I still find it kind of disappointing. I just started a game with Edmonton, went through the first season, barely missing the playoffs. In the off-season signed David Backes and then I noticed a news item that caused me to quit the game...

Buffalo traded Jiri Hudler to Calgary for a prospect....so I thought that was weird because Hudler is a Calgary player...well, he was...and is again...

He signed a 6 year UFA deal with Buffalo, only for Buffalo to turn around and trade him to Calgary the next day. :shakehead

I can understand how the game doesn't recognize names, but this has nothing to do with a "real name" player getting traded. This is all on the trade engine and roster AI.

I posted this very issue on their site a few days ago, and not a single reply from developers. As much as I love OOTP 16 (all the way back to version 1), I cannot stand their hockey product.

Won't bother with this game until next release.

Which patch are you using? I think the Devs have acknowledge there was a problem with the AI overvaluing mid and lower round draft picks, but these have largely been corrected in the latest patch of the game.

If trade AI is an issue in general, well, it's the same in EHM as well. You can trade for a player and then flip him again easily enough, always picking up an extra draft pick or two in the process, which rarely if ever happens in real life. The point being that if you want a perfect trading experience then the only option is an online league against human GMs; a trade AI will always have flaws that a clever human can identify and exploit.

As for the devs not getting back to you, well... it *has* been the festive period. I'm sure they'll respond in due course in the New Year.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
So I bought this over EHM because OOTP is the best in the business when it comes to sports sims (OOTPB 16 is by far the best text-based SIM ever created). Picked it over EHM also because the critiques were EHM feels like it's a hobby by a few guys in a basement who will probably lose interest while OOTPD is committed to turning FHM into something just as good as OOTPB.

A little disappointed so far with FHM. I mean it's a huge upgrade over the original, but it's rough. It took me awhile to get the hang of OOTPB but this is much worse. The UI needs a lot of work, meaning the screen is very messy and it's not easy to find what you want to find. It's a lot harder to edit teams and players. In OOTPB it's all very clean. I know OOTP has taken a long time to get where it is at but they had the template already there for FHM why couldn't it be followed more clearly.

What they should do to encourage people to stay instead of selling a new copy every year to give the previous year's buyers a free update for the next year (or at least cheap).

rfroese

Jun 12, 2014
What they should do to encourage people to stay instead of selling a new copy every year to give the previous year's buyers a free update for the next year (or at least cheap).

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. This is what they should have done going from FHM1 to FHM2, but they didn't. I wonder how many users they lost by their brilliant let's make ALL THE MONEYS strategy.

I chose EHM over FM because Miles, Riz and SI have integrity. With the way OOTP has handled FHM I question theirs strongly.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So I bought this over EHM because OOTP is the best in the business when it comes to sports sims (OOTPB 16 is by far the best text-based SIM ever created). Picked it over EHM also because the critiques were EHM feels like it's a hobby by a few guys in a basement who will probably lose interest while OOTPD is committed to turning FHM into something just as good as OOTPB.

A little disappointed so far with FHM. I mean it's a huge upgrade over the original, but it's rough. It took me awhile to get the hang of OOTPB but this is much worse. The UI needs a lot of work, meaning the screen is very messy and it's not easy to find what you want to find. It's a lot harder to edit teams and players. In OOTPB it's all very clean. I know OOTP has taken a long time to get where it is at but they had the template already there for FHM why couldn't it be followed more clearly.

Did it mention that Riz has been at this for 18+ YEARS? This is not a hobby from Riz, it's his life's work. EHM is superior to FHM in every way. FHM has been so badly done from the get go that's it's not worth anything. I had such hope for it, I was desperately wanting FHM to be good but it has let down on every single level. Do yourself a favour, count your losses in FHM and move onto EHM where the devs actually care and have a playable product.

Terll

Nov 22, 2014
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. This is what they should have done going from FHM1 to FHM2, but they didn't. I wonder how many users they lost by their brilliant let's make ALL THE MONEYS strategy.

I chose EHM over FM because Miles, Riz and SI have integrity. With the way OOTP has handled FHM I question theirs strongly.

This

Did it mention that Riz has been at this for 18+ YEARS? This is not a hobby from Riz, it's his life's work. EHM is superior to FHM in every way. FHM has been so badly done from the get go that's it's not worth anything. I had such hope for it, I was desperately wanting FHM to be good but it has let down on every single level. Do yourself a favour, count your losses in FHM and move onto EHM where the devs actually care and have a playable product.

And this.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
My main gripe with this game, at the moment, is that the last patch introduced at least one game-breaking bug that hasn't been corrected in a while.

Otherwise, I actually prefer it to EHM, but mostly because it's much faster.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

I don't really know how you could call something someone's life's work when it was abandoned for eight years. Football Manager is that companies life's work, not EHM.

FHM is rough but let's be honest, from the little I played of the first one, the second has massive improvements and is starting to resemble OOTPB, which as I said before, no one can really make an argument that it isn't the best text-based sports simulator out there. I'm disappointed that FHM isn't closer to OOTPB but I've checked out EHM significantly this year and it's just never all that impressed me. I think the UI in FHM is bad, but I think it's even worse in EHM. Then we've got the lingering problems of performance, and the draft. The performance is a deal breaker (and something that may never be fixed given the team who makes the game is incredibly small).

Simply I have no faith in EHM getting much past where it is right now, while FHM has the OOTPB pedigree.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don't really know how you could call something someone's life's work when it was abandoned for eight years. Football Manager is that companies life's work, not EHM.

FHM is rough but let's be honest, from the little I played of the first one, the second has massive improvements and is starting to resemble OOTPB, which as I said before, no one can really make an argument that it isn't the best text-based sports simulator out there. I'm disappointed that FHM isn't closer to OOTPB but I've checked out EHM significantly this year and it's just never all that impressed me. I think the UI in FHM is bad, but I think it's even worse in EHM. Then we've got the lingering problems of performance, and the draft. The performance is a deal breaker (and something that may never be fixed given the team who makes the game is incredibly small).

Simply I have no faith in EHM getting much past where it is right now, while FHM has the OOTPB pedigree.

Indeed, FHM improved by leaps and bounds between 1st and 2nd edition. Mostly steps forwards, a few steps sideways, mostly consisting of good ideas with so-so-to-bad implementation (training engine is odd to say the least, players role/unhappiness is... strange as well).

I don't have much hope for the training for this edition. Some things should definitely be fixed, however.

SerbianEagle

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

The bolded part is key as well. We have two hockey games, and one has a football interface while the other has a baseball interface. They need to really come up with something fresh and new to catch a user's attention.

When playing EHM, I feel I should be seeing 11 players on a pitch, whereas with FHM, it feels cartoony in certain aspects and too baseball like in others.

There needs to a specific hockey interface that kinda pulls you in like the Football Manager interface does for that game and OOTP does for baseball.

Add to it the AI doing stuff like what I described in my earlier post and you have a recipe for an average game.

Both games have a promise, yet neither delivers...sadly

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England

I think he was referring to Riz's life work rather than that of SI. He started the game as a freeware game many years ago (around about 16 years?) and it was then picked up by SI. Although it was put on hiatus by SI Games, Riz continued to work on it in the interim in his spare time and then last March his work was released. I'd definitely agree it's his life work!

As for the EHM v FHM thing, everybody clearly has a different view. IMHO both games do some things better than the other. EHM feels the more rounded and immersive game for me right now, but FHM does have its strengths such as its historic mode.

I don't completely understand the complaints regarding the UI. I agree that EHM's needs an update and FHM's can be a bit clunky at times. I don't see how the FHM 2 UI is the same as OOTPB. The FHM 1 UI certainly was, but it was redesigned for FHM 2 and is largely based on the ribbon style of menu that is seen in many modern applications. I'd be curious to see what people are expecting the UI to look like; if anybody has made any mock-ups, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad