Proposal: Fowler, Trouba, or other

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
No. I don't think that was my suggestion. Obviously you do it the minute you are allowed to.

Exactly. That's collusion. The Bruins and Lindholm would be agreeing to a wink-wink second deal to make it impossible for the Ducks to match. You are suggesting the Bruins and Lindholm make a deal in secret.

If a team did that to the Bruins I'd quit watching the NHL if it went unpunished.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Roughly $3.6 million in space now

McQuaid and Miller coming off IR means 2 -men need to go down.

Carlo and O'Gara combines adds about $1.7 million to that for $5.3 million in space.

Adding Lindholm means another d-man needs to go, McQuaid it is, adding about $2.7 million for a total of $8 million in space.

Move Hayes out for a pick adds $2.3 million for a total of $10.3 million in space.

That'll leave you a million in cap space to bank for trade deadline or the inevitable injuries.

I kept Carlo, but sent down O'Gara and Morrow. Ran a 22-man roster.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/edit/206198

At some point the would have to address expansion requirements at forward if they move Hayes for a pick. Moving out Hayes drops them down to 8 forwards who meet the requirements, and if protecting 7 (and I would have to assume that the route they pick), the need to find one more to go along with Nash. But that can probably be addressed in the off-season.

Basically McQuaid and Hayes would have to go immediately to make this work.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Exactly. That's collusion. The Bruins and Lindholm would be agreeing to a wink-wink second deal to make it impossible for the Ducks to match. You are suggesting the Bruins and Lindholm make a deal in secret.

If a team did that to the Bruins I'd quit watching the NHL if it went unpunished.
At this point, as an RFA, he's free to negotiate with whomever he likes, no?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I'm fairly certain that "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" deals, as Dom himself described it on Twitter, are against the CBA.

And while they can be hard to prove, this scenario would be about as blatant an example of it as you can find.

He could certainly sign the giant offer sheet and then refuse to sign the second deal if he likes. I don't see anything nefarious with discussing plans beyond the one year of the offer sheet contract.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
The Bruins can technically ask Lindholm what kind of deal he's looking for (6x6 for example) and then offer him that 1 year $9+M offersheet.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That's a tight squeeze for the Bruins.

But it can be done.

Sign Lindholm to the suggested price.

Trade McQuaid to Colorado for McLeod with 35% retention on McLeod.

Trade Hayes to whoever for a draft pick.

Leaves the Bruins with about 500k in cap space give or take.

Colorado has 1.17M cap space and Johnson, Barrie on the right side.
Why is that trade interesting for Colorado?

No one is taking him with this year+ 2 years left on his contract.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Colorado has 1.17M cap space and Johnson, Barrie on the right side.
Why is that trade interesting for Colorado?

No one is taking him with this year+ 2 years left on his contract.

Bruins would be taking back 1.3 million on a McLeod without retention, a player who isn't even in Colorado's line-up and signed for this year and next.

Who cares about Barrie and Johnson? Those guys are in their top 4. Have you seen the bottom pairing guys in Colorado? McQuaid could help them. I agree it's a hard contract to move.

But then again, your response to pretty much every proposal, regardless of the size or magnitude, is "why would team XYZ do this".

I recall you arguing with me months ago about the Jets and Trouba until I just gave up. Something along the lines of "Why would Trouba want to leave, Patrik Laine is coming, he's not stupid". Once again, like most things hockey related, you were flat out wrong.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Bruins would be taking back 1.3 million on a McLeod without retention, a player who isn't even in Colorado's line-up and signed for this year and next.

Who cares about Barrie and Johnson? Those guys are in their top 4. Have you seen the bottom pairing guys in Colorado? McQuaid could help them. I agree it's a hard contract to move.

But then again, your response to pretty much every proposal, regardless of the size or magnitude, is "why would team XYZ do this".

I recall you arguing with me months ago about the Jets and Trouba until I just gave up. Something along the lines of "Why would Trouba want to leave, Patrik Laine is coming, he's not stupid". Once again, like most things hockey related, you were flat out wrong.

McQuaid 2.75M vs McLeod 1.33M.
Colorado has 1.17M cap space, that's not a smart move for Colorado, McLeaod doesn't hurt Colorado with his contract even if he is sitting.
With Johnson and Barrie their RD side isn't exactly screaming for help, there are better ways to use that money.
What happens if Rantanen hits any bonuses, what if they want to add a forward during the season? You can say as well that McQuaid shouldn't be on the roster and he has 1 extra year on McLeod and carries clearly heavier cap hit.

I said if competing is what he values adding Laine will help, not many teams have a young core like Winni has.
Right now it's pretty clear he doesn't want to stay in Winnipeg city.
I guess when you can't give an answer this is your response. I'm sorry if I don't agree with deals that just help the Bruins, because those aren't very likely deals to happen, I apologize that I dared to ask why woud Colorado make a trade that makes no sense for them.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I kept Carlo, but sent down O'Gara and Morrow. Ran a 22-man roster.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/edit/206198

At some point the would have to address expansion requirements at forward if they move Hayes for a pick. Moving out Hayes drops them down to 8 forwards who meet the requirements, and if protecting 7 (and I would have to assume that the route they pick), the need to find one more to go along with Nash. But that can probably be addressed in the off-season.

Basically McQuaid and Hayes would have to go immediately to make this work.

You keep sharing the "edit" link that no one else can see. capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/XXXXXXX is the correct url format.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
McQuaid 2.75M vs McLeod 1.33M.
Colorado has 1.17M cap space, that's not a smart move for Colorado, McLeaod doesn't hurt Colorado with his contract even if he is sitting.
With Johnson and Barrie their RD side isn't exactly screaming for help, there are better ways to use that money.
What happens if Rantanen hits any bonuses, what if they want to add a forward during the season? You can say as well that McQuaid shouldn't be on the roster and he has 1 extra year on McLeod and carries clearly heavier cap hit.

I said if competing is what he values adding Laine will help, not many teams have a young core like Winni has.
Right now it's pretty clear he doesn't want to stay in Winnipeg city.
I guess when you can't give an answer this is your response. I'm sorry if I don't agree with deals that just help the Bruins, because those aren't very likely deals to happen, I apologize that I dared to ask why woud Colorado make a trade that makes no sense for them.

That's not what you said back then. At all. You said he'd be stupid to want to leave Winnipeg with Laine coming, your words not mine.

You should apologize, because you pick apart every single proposal on here with the same comment "why would team XYZ do this".

By your logic there wouldn't be a single trade made in the NHL. Ever.

Heaven forbid a team trade a veteran 3rd pair D-man with 3 years left for a 4th line grinder whose currently a healthy scratch with 2 years left.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That's not what you said back then. At all. You said he'd be stupid to want to leave Winnipeg with Laine coming, your words not mine.

You should apologize, because you pick apart every single proposal on here with the same comment "why would team XYZ do this".

By your logic there wouldn't be a single trade made in the NHL. Ever.

Heaven forbid a team trade a veteran 3rd pair D-man with 3 years left for a 4th line grinder whose currently a healthy scratch with 2 years left.

So you just can't give a simple reason for the trade, I'm sure Colorado would love to do that trade then.

and you wonder why I disagree with your proposal.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So you just can't give a simple reason for the trade, I'm sure Colorado would love to do that trade then.

and you wonder why I disagree with your proposal.

No I don't wonder, you disagree with everyone's proposals.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
No I don't wonder, you disagree with everyone's proposals.

If that deal makes sense you wouldn't have such a difficult time giving an answer.

edit,
You propose Spooner for Fowler and I won't ask that, or something that considers both teams needs and cap situations, but these one sided deals I will question.

Just for fun, one more time.

1.17M cap space.
McQuaid makes 2.75Mx 3, McLeod 1.33Mx 2.
Give me a reason why Colorado does that trade. McLeod on the press box does very little damage for their cap, McQuaid would.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If that deal makes sense you wouldn't have such a difficult time giving an asnwer.

edit,
You propose Spooner for Fowler and I won't ask that, or something that considers both teams needs and cap situations, but these one sided deals I will question.

1.17M cap space.
Give me a reason why Colorado does that trade. McLeod on the press box does very little damage for their cap, McQuaid would.

Honestly BB88, I don't have the energy to continue to argue about a deal involving a spare part for another spare part.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Honestly BB88, I don't have the energy to continue to argue about a deal involving a spare part for another spare part.

So maybe you don't keep proposing that if you can't give a simple reason for why they should do it, instead you try to change the subject.

There's the thing called cap.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
And usually what fans think are universes apart from what management thinks.

Every single Bruins fan and every single Ducks fan could agree. Doesn't mean Sweeney or Murray agree.

Oh, I'm with you. Heard too many stories otherwise. Hell, there was a GM out there in love with Adam Burish who would be known to always call for his services lol. Fans, on the other hand hated the player.

No one knows what is being offered and no one will until the move is made it seems.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
- Sign Lindholm immediately to a one year $9.3 million offer sheet (Bruins can make the room)

- Forces the Ducks (if they match) to qualify him at $9.3 million per year until he reaches UFA. Ducks just simply can not afford that.

- Pay the 4 first rounders in compensation and move on

- Then extend him for 8 years $49.2 million ($6.15 million AAV)

Makes the whole 9 years worth $58.5 million or averaged out to $6.5 million per season

Still waiting for the first GM to do this in the NHL and become public enemy number one. Hell, these guys are afraid of even offer-sheeting let alone as aggressive as that.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
If that deal makes sense you wouldn't have such a difficult time giving an answer.

edit,

1.17M cap space.

It's never as simple as what capfriendly shows as their cap space.

Yes it's $1.17 million in cap space. But that's with 14 forwards counting towards the cap - which I'm pretty sure they don't want to do.

And making that trade allows Zadorov to go back down which probably isn't a bad idea and you still have 7 d-men.

So it's $1.17 million plus $1.33 out for McLeod plus $894k for Zadorov and after adding McQuaid's $2.75 Million leaves them $654K

It's never black and white

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad