Former Prospect Topi Rönni, C, 2nd Round 59 Overall 2022 Draft

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Is he on par calibre wise to our centre prospect like Ilya Nikolaiyev?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Is he on par calibre wise to our centre prospect like Ilya Nikolaiyev?

I totally forgot we still had that guy.
Shouldn't this be his first year in Stockton? I remember him getting some buzz.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
From the DailyHive:

“He understands how to use his body to his advantage, using his frame to protect the puck and keep opposing players from knocking the puck off his stick while he examines the zone for an outlet. Ronni’s size and effort level make him tough to play against, especially at the junior level in Finland.

“With Ronni, you’re betting that the skillset will eventually match up with his physical gifts and if he develops properly you could be getting a solid impact player in the middle of the draft.”

I don't have any problem with this pick.

Reactions: Boomstick

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Is this yet another blonde Finn who will struggle to crack the club in 5 years

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I phrased it as a question which usually isn't a prediction.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

According to translations (could be wording issues with translation), he's suspected of rape, it happed two years ago when he was a minor and he's taken time away from hockey to address the issue and the court summons is coming up.

No further comments from player and team at this time. But the info relating to the case are also ordered to be kept secret.

Honestly, that sucks to hear.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Our top pick in that draft. Well done team.
the hits really do keep on coming

Wonder if the Flames renounce their rights to him like the Coyotes did with Mitchell Miller. Hard to say at this point. If he is found guilty f*** him, hope he rots.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If guilty, I hope they throw the book at him.

I agree laws need to be objectively upheld. Disappointed to hear, but have to be objective.

I'm just not sure what type of enforcement you can have since he was a minor. If guilty instead of innocent, I assume this can only go in two directions. He was a minor, it was a mistake, light punishment. He was a minor, but the situation was serious, treat the situation as if he were an adult.

Not sure I'm interested in following super closely what happens, but... dang. Shitty scenario.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
"Today, I have received a summons application related to the matter. The last two or so years have been hard waiting for the matter to progress. I trust that the related course of events will be clarified in connection with the trial. For the time being, I'm out of the team's activities and I'm focusing on handling the matter ," says Rönni.

This predates his draft, am I understanding this correctly?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
"Today, I have received a summons application related to the matter. The last two or so years have been hard waiting for the matter to progress. I trust that the related course of events will be clarified in connection with the trial. For the time being, I'm out of the team's activities and I'm focusing on handling the matter ," says Rönni.

This predates his draft, am I understanding this correctly?

If he was a minor, then he was 17. I believe the player has to be 18 to be drafted? So I assume yes, it predates it. However, if it was well hidden, I'm not sure how you'd find out about this before drafting the kid.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Rönni's thread is locked so I'll post this here. He was found guilty of rape as a minor (he was 17), and was sentenced to one year of "conditional imprisonment" (google translate, but no jail time unless he commits some other crime during that time). Tappara just released a statement that they have terminated his contract, and I expect the Flames to do the same. The verdict is not yet final, as I've understood both the prosecutor and Rönni can appeal to next level in the juridical system. If there are no appeals or they are not accepted and case is not taken to next court, the verdict stays.

• Wow
Reactions: Fig and Rubi

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Rönni's thread is locked so I'll post this here. He was found guilty of rape as a minor (he was 17), and was sentenced to one year of "conditional imprisonment" (google translate, but no jail time unless he commits some other crime during that time). Tappara just released a statement that they have terminated his contract, and I expect the Flames to do the same. The verdict is not yet final, as I've understood both the prosecutor and Rönni can appeal to next level in the juridical system. If there are no appeals or they are not accepted and case is not taken to next court, the verdict stays.

I wasn't sure about how the mods wanted to proceed with this so I went to the locked Ronnie thread and hit report with the information suggesting they decide because this could be a shit show.

I just hope Conroy cuts ties with Ronni

Also 1 year suspended sentence makes me sick. He should be locked up forever.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011

Horrible bloke.

Scouts with another egg on their faces.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Doubt he was getting a contract given his trajectory, but that should seal it.

Reactions: Boomstick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad