Former Prospect Topi Rönni, C, 2nd Round 59 Overall 2022 Draft

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Rönni plays a very mature game with very few flaws, which is great to see from such a young player. He rarely over-extends himself and is usually in good position for a strong back-check in the offensive zone. His offensive stats don’t exactly pop off the page; he scored four points in 20 games in the Liiga this season. However, he just turned 18 in May 2022 and excelled in his 30-game stint in the Finnish U20 league, scoring 29 points while dominating the ice on both offense and defense.

Based on a few ranking lists drafting him this early might be a bit of a reach. Maybe the Flames see something others don't.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I trust Button for the most part so who knows. Still surprised we didn’t go with Hutson.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I trust Button for the most part so who knows. Still surprised we didn’t go with Hutson.
I liked the numbers for Hutson too. Would have been my pick as well. That said, I've never heard of Topi Ronni so I have no idea other than that he appears to be a largish center...haha

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Online scouting reports make it feel like this is a rather safe pick

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Getting stromgren vibes (which is to say I’m expecting this pick to look bad).

Kind of disappointed with Calgary’s second rounders the last few years.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Getting stromgren vibes (which is to say I’m expecting this pick to look bad).

Kind of disappointed with Calgary’s second rounders the last few years.
Stromgren was a brutal pick with Stankoven still on the board. Knies too. At least there wasn't a couple of painfully obvious better picks available.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Stromgren was a brutal pick with Stankoven still on the board. Knies too. At least there wasn't a couple of painfully obvious better picks available.
I don't know about that. A lot or people had Hutson and Trikozhov as 1st rounders they're high risk high rewards picks.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I don't know about that. A lot or people had Hutson and Trikozhov as 1st rounders they're high risk high rewards picks.
Sure, Hutson was my pick, but Stankoven literally played in our backyard and we still missed on him. We aren't the right team to pick Trikozov.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Hard to make these picks when you don’t have any. 3 picks in any draft is brutal

Anyways I wouldn’t expect we get an nhler from this draft.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I know nothing about Ronni. Would have rather had Gleb Trikozov, just for the better name.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This notion that he's the next Backlund is silly. Backlund was a top 10 pick who dropped in the draft because of a shoulder injury. This guy seems to be around 70-80th ranked.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This notion that he's the next Backlund is silly. Backlund was a top 10 pick who dropped in the draft because of a shoulder injury. This guy seems to be around 70-80th ranked.

I've seen him ranked in the 40's.
So damn early guys. Let's see what happens in 4-5 years.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Really on Stromgren? It was a bad pick at the time and looks worse now. I don't know about Ronni.

Stromgren was a consensus early second last year. McKenzie had him at #41 which is about as good of an indicator as you can find.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I've seen him ranked in the 40's.
So damn early guys. Let's see what happens in 4-5 years.
He's ranked between 65th and 105th by major publications. McKenzie has him at 65th, FChockey at 105. I'm not saying he won't be anything, but touting him as a Backlund replacement is silly. Backlund was a top 10 talent. This guy definitely isn't.

Stromgren was a consensus early second last year. McKenzie had him at #41 which is about as good of an indicator as you can find.
He was a consensus late 2nd. He was as high as an early 2nd and as low as a late 3rd. Stankoven was a consensus late 1st and in our backyard.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Will give this one two thumbs

Need some size & speed in the lineup eventually. Can't just swing for the fences with small skill every pick.
I generally agree considering our pool but I do think we could use a 3rd pair PP guy to compliment our other young defenders.

We definitely lack two-way centers so I think it’s definitely filling a big area of need there.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
At the same time, a lot of people hoped for more offense from Backlund, but he settled into a very good two way middle 6 centre. People are mostly just commenting on this kids game and style, relax dude lol

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
At the same time, a lot of people hoped for more offense from Backlund, but he settled into a very good two way middle 6 centre. People are mostly just commenting on this kids game and style, relax dude lol
What makes you think I'm not relaxed? It's just absurd to say a kid who no one has ever seen will be the next Backlund. He looks more like Eetu Tuulola than Mikael Backlund.

Reactions: lightstorm

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I generally agree considering our pool but I do think we could use a 3rd pair PP guy to compliment our other young defenders.

We definitely lack two-way centers so I think it’s definitely filling a big area of need there.

I actually feel reasonably good about our blueline prospects. Valimaki, Solovyov, Poirier, Kuznetsov are all guys I could see in the NHL at some point.

Our centers, not so much. As has been the case for most of the last 20 years

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I actually feel reasonably good about our blueline prospects. Valimaki, Solovyov, Poirier, Kuznetsov are all guys I could see in the NHL at some point.

Our centers, not so much. As has been the case for most of the last 20 years

Centres are unnecessary.
Calgary has shown over the past thirty years you can win without the- wait

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad