News Article: Former Ottawa Senators’ D Michael Del Zotto on team’s culture: ‘Couldn’t believe that was an NHL organization'

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I didn't deny anything

I asked what value is gained from bringing up the death of a man two years ago.

But organization aside...I think the fan base, at least in here, is starting to excuse really poor play from our core and blaming that play on the former regime.

You specifically were a guy that repeatedly said "DJ can't shoot for them" or save it, pass it etc. And you were right.

Maybe this group of players can turn it around. There's certainly a lot of talent. But I think it's going to require moving out a central figure to get them to shake themselves up.

Hanging on to bitter emotions does no good. We have new ownership and new ownership is providing new everything. Looking forward provides a better view than looking back.
I don't think anyone is accepting this poor play as being ok. But if it's going to change we need to understand why it's happening.

No DJ can't do those things for the players there was lots of blame to go around. However with some of the quotes were seeing like the one from Batherson about being coached when he makes a mistake. It's pretty clear the previous staff either wasn't doing it or wasn't capable of getting the message through. When I look at that as a hole it explains so many bad habits.

I've been talking about it all season this teams play at the blue lines and gap control has been horrible. Martin has made a point that this needs to be changed.

When this type of information is available we know they are working on the right things. It also shows how hard it is to change as a collective group.

Which leads me to this. We as fans need to be patient it's going to take some time. I hope this management group takes its time does a very deep and methodical evaluation of all parts of the organization. Trade the players on expiring contracts. Try and build up this teams assets for futures on some level. Then start identifying who the core should be and make trades from a position of strength. Not weakness. Basically the opposite of the previous regime.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I mean, to be fair, we couldn't believe that Michael Del Zotto was an NHL player!
He wasn't even that bad compared to what was trotted out there for years. He was a good player in the league for a while. The signing didn't make sense but the guy could still play. Look at his numbers. He still had a great first pass. The reason they sent him down to shake up the team as a sacrificial lamb just shows you how dysfunctional management was. Sending down players not because of their play sends a really poor message. So glad we're past that era here in Ottawa. I know it seems grim but it's only up from here.

Race Dawg

Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
Zel Zotto who or whatever the hell his name was? 😆. This guy sounds like your typical primadonna who gets to pout when someone doesn't wipe his ass. Some of the players can't cook he says? Well guess what some of the players can't play hockey either it seems lol.. You are paid 5Mil a year to chase around a piece of tiny rubber on frozen water. Hire a chef or learn how to cook yourself for Chrisesakes. Actually I remember plenty of decent places open late in Ottawa when I lived there. Try living in Uptown Toronto and looking for food around Yonge and Lawrence after 11pm. Good luck with that as you'll be driving around aimlessly trying to find food that not McDonald's or Pizza. He's joking right? 😆 He's from Stouffville and I guarantee you ain't finding shit in that back ass village! Lol

Race Dawg

Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
Del Zotto is a loser. Sometimes it's just bad luck why a player never won anything in the NHL, other times there's a legitimate reason. In Del Zotto's case; there's a reason. The guy was a loser from the start of his career to the end.
The guy was a scrub and fringe AHL player at best. He should try amateur night at Yuk Yuks!! Lol

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don't think anyone is accepting this poor play as being ok. But if it's going to change we need to understand why it's happening.

No DJ can't do those things for the players there was lots of blame to go around. However with some of the quotes were seeing like the one from Batherson about being coached when he makes a mistake. It's pretty clear the previous staff either wasn't doing it or wasn't capable of getting the message through. When I look at that as a hole it explains so many bad habits.

I've been talking about it all season this teams play at the blue lines and gap control has been horrible. Martin has made a point that this needs to be changed.

When this type of information is available we know they are working on the right things. It also shows how hard it is to change as a collective group.

Which leads me to this. We as fans need to be patient it's going to take some time. I hope this management group takes its time does a very deep and methodical evaluation of all parts of the organization. Trade the players on expiring contracts. Try and build up this teams assets for futures on some level. Then start identifying who the core should be and make trades from a position of strength. Not weakness. Basically the opposite of the previous regime.
I believe expectations were that this year would go better. I mean new ownership expectations. Maybe not playoffs but something at or better than last year's 86 points.

Given the expectations, I think it was a housekeeping situation and both Andlauer and Staois were prepared to not do much and let a new GM mold the thing. Staois having the interim tag removed was done because I think they've realized they need to act.

I think one of the core is gone by the TDL and this board blows up over the return.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The guy was a scrub and fringe AHL player at best. He should try amateur night at Yuk Yuks!! Lol
This isnt remotely accurate.

For all if those posters ripping on Del Zotto. Saying he was useless etc. He played 736 regular season NHL regular season games another 32 playoff games. He had a total 294 NHL points. He played 13 seasons of pro hockey. He made 26 million dollars playing in the NHL. Pump the breaks, I know some don't wanna hear the truth but he is simply telling it like it is. Dorion signed him if you wanna be mad at someone it was his decision. How he was treated here was unacceptable. I'd recommend listing to his interview on chicklets. Articulate guy who had a long NHL career.

Last edited:
Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I believe expectations were that this year would go better. I mean new ownership expectations. Maybe not playoffs but something at or better than last year's 86 points.

Given the expectations, I think it was a housekeeping situation and both Andlauer and Staois were prepared to not do much and let a new GM mold the thing. Staois having the interim tag removed was done because I think they've realized they need to act.

I think one of the core is gone by the TDL and this board blows up over the return.
I don't think this management group is looking to trade players for poor value just for the sake of it. That era is long behind us thankfully. Trading from a position of weakness unless it's forced won't be happening.

Reactions: HF Reader

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
For all if those posters ripping on Del Zotto. Saying he was useless etc. He played 736 regular season NHL regular season games another 32 playoff games. He had a total 294 NHL points. He played 13 seasons of pro hockey. He made 26 million dollars playing in the NHL. Pump the breaks, I know some don't wanna hear the truth but he is simply telling it like it is. Dorion signed him if you wanna be mad at someone it was his decision. How he was treated here was unacceptable. I'd recommend listing to his interview on chicklets. Articulate guy who had a long NHL career.
Bobby Ryan played 866 games, made $70M, with 569P and he said the food was high quality during his time in Ottawa and that they added breakfast and lunch a couple of years ago for the younger guys at their request. Maybe we can pump the breaks on Del Zotto's take instead?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Bobby Ryan played 866 games, made $70M, with 569P and he said the food was high quality during his time in Ottawa and that they added breakfast and lunch a couple of years ago for the younger guys at their request. Maybe we can pump the breaks on Del Zotto's take instead?
They didnt play here together at the same time. What they do have in common is both are still being paid by the organization to not play hockey anymore.

The food wasnt the only issue, its not a secret this team wasnt being run like a national league team. Its actually common knowledge. But the good news is, it is now. Re vamped player lounge, way better meal plans, better travel. More support staff the bad days are behind us thankfully. Only better from here.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don't think this management group is looking to trade players for poor value just for the sake of it. That era is long behind us thankfully. Trading from a position of weakness unless it's forced won't be happening.
Who said anything about poor value?

I've been told we've got 3 top pair D and 5 top line forwards. I don't think players will return that value. I don't think some of them are valued that way.

I think they're going to shake the tree a bit. They'll get 30+ games of Martin and Alfie on the bench and have a pretty good idea what they want and don't want

Personally I think Chabot is most likely leading up to his trade protection. Depends on their thoughts on Chychrun and Kleven I suspect

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
They didnt play here together at the same time. What they do have in common is both are still being paid by the organization to not play hockey anymore.

The food wasnt the only issue, its not a secret this team wasnt being run like a national league team. Its actually common knowledge. But the good news is, it is now. Re vamped player lounge, way better meal plans, better travel. More support staff the bad days are behind us thankfully. Only better from here.
Yes, but Bobby was here before MDZ and for much longer than him. So when he says the food was high quality and was never an issue, I'll take his word over one disgruntled former player who seems to take every opportunity presented to him to speak negatively of the team.

No one is saying things were run well. It's clear they weren't and the cost-cutting measures were apparent across the entire organization. But I'm not gonna believe MDZ over Ryan when it comes to this. It's probably a highly exaggerated retelling or was clearly a one-off thing during the lockdown seasons.

It's perfect for fans who wanna lap this kind of shit up though and believe these kinds of stories without asking some pretty simple questions.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yes, but Bobby was here before MDZ and for much longer than him. So when he says the food was high quality and was never an issue, I'll take his word over one disgruntled former player who seems to take every opportunity presented to him to speak negatively of the team.

No one is saying things were run well. It's clear they weren't and the cost-cutting measures were apparent across the entire organization. But I'm not gonna believe MDZ over Ryan when it comes to this. It's probably a highly exaggerated retelling or was clearly a one-off thing during the lockdown seasons.

It's perfect for fans who wanna lap this kind of shit up though and believe these kinds of stories without asking some pretty simple questions.
They didnt play at the same time. The quality of the organization was in a free fall the last couple of years he isnt making it up. I know for a fact that this is true.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Not sure the team was allowed to have chefs and shared food and such during Covid.

I think we had a few seasons of altered behaviour.

Anyways, guys are gonna take their shots now that EM is dead and everyone else is gone. Sucks but time will ensure that it will all fade into the shadows of history.

Can’t wait to be stoked on who the new coach is, because the new crew seem to nail every move they have made so far. It’s at least one win streak the organization has going lol!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad