News Article: Former Ottawa Senators’ D Michael Del Zotto on team’s culture: ‘Couldn’t believe that was an NHL organization'

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
The important thing he mentions is the culture. The losing culture.
That is going to take some time and effort to overcome with the new ownership, management and coaching group.
Whichever player is not interested in embracing that change needs to GTFO.
This is why they would have no choice to trade Tkachuk

Reactions: Race Dawg

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This player treatment issue (after game meals etc.) would make an interesting question for Ian Mendez to ask players who have been on this team during the last 5 years. :)

Reactions: Race Dawg and bert

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
You had ottawa calling the bosses of reporters to try and get them to stop talking or to get them fired

ofc it was a clown show

Reactions: bert

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Despite a GM and now a coaching change, the Ottawa Senators continue to struggle. Since firing D.J. Smith, the Sens are only 3-4-0, which isn’t terrible, but still very inconsistent for a team that sits in last in their division and needs to start stringing together wins while they have games in hand.

So what’s the issue then? Is it still an organizational problem or is it on the players? Former Senators defenseman Michael Del Zotto joined Daily Faceoff Live to talk about his time with the organization and what the problem may be in Ottawa.
This is the whole damn point of the new owner and gm and coach. Now give it time.
And if we’d had a proper owner and gm back then, del zotto would never have been a senator.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Ryan also didn't like Dorion but didnt want to comment further about things

Its pretty bad when so many players just didn't like being here due to things that were not on ice issues
Ryan has his demons and he does well to try not to be harsh. Good guy and wise.

This is why they would have no choice to trade Tkachuk
The problem isn't Tkachuk.

He needs more support.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Sour grapes coming from the guy who got embarrassed by the organization. Nothing story. More people kicking us when we’re already down

Lol come on, he doesn't have anything to gain by lying, and we all know under Melnyk and Dorion this org was a shit show.

A lot of you really hate hearing the truth.

• Haha

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Well, didn't take long to see Del Zotto's expectations coming to Ottawa were off;

"I remember after my first game, we had boxed quesadillas in a warming drawer. And I’m thinking, you’re spending the $80 million on your players..."

In fact, our estimated salary expenditure for the year he was here was 63 mil,

Oh jesus who the hell cares if his salary figures are off, the point he made is still the same.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Oh jesus who the hell cares if his salary figures are off, the point he made is still the same.
I think the true salary figures go hand in hand with why he was getting warmed up quesadillas rather than in house catered after games meals.

The team had just lost an estimated over 30 mil due to the pandemic, and we already knew the owner was a penny pincher prior to that. Idk why anybody here would be surprised by anything he said, the point he made was pretty much already accepted as fact.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Well, didn't take long to see Del Zotto's expectations coming to Ottawa were off;

"I remember after my first game, we had boxed quesadillas in a warming drawer. And I’m thinking, you’re spending the $80 million on your players..."

In fact, our estimated salary expenditure for the year he was here was 63 mil,
That is going to take some time and effort to overcome with the new ownership, management and coaching group.

To me it’s more important to know if there was salsa, hot sauce and sour cream for the quesadillas

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Based of your assumptions about his body language? What has he said publicly that you can point to him not being interested and wanting out, because I can't find it.
By how he s playing
Don’t back check
Stay at the red line
When other teams counter attack, he’s the last one to exit the ozone
During line change, don’t skate hard, just glide

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not shocking... I mean the owner was Eugene Melnyk and the GM was Pierre Dorion. It was probably even worse than the public thinks

Yeah, as a whole it seems we're lucky to have moved past that ownership/management group.

Finally... but the damage has been done and is still felt as of today.

Didn't new ownership say that they would have a lot of things to take care of?

Last edited:
Reactions: ColinM

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
By how he s playing
Don’t back check
Stay at the red line
When other teams counter attack, he’s the last one to exit the ozone
During line change, don’t skate hard, just glide

Those are generalized claims. He's also the F that is usually deepest in the o-zone on the forecheck or infront of opposition net so of course he will be last one out.

You fail to mention that he checks hard, gets into scrums and clearly wants to win.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
He also mentioned no accountability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad