Player Discussion Former Habs & Picks watch: Gone but not forgotten (No Current NHLers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chet-Nick

Feb 28, 2005
Ontario

Daniel Carr signs with Lugano if the Swiss League. His contract is valid until November 15th with an option to extend it to December 31st.

So it's clear he intends to sign in the NHL for when they resume and come here when they return. He is a UFA.

Carr didn't look that out of place in Montreal. Guess it was a case of not being good enough for the top-6 forward spots and his soft/one dimensional style didn't suit the bottom-6. Surely Carr was better than Brian Flynn and Byron Froese. lol

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Best hitter Montreal had in a long time and for the most part a good NHL career. Love seeing his open ice hits, they rarely injured anyone. Just pure entertainment.

Emelin was a pretty decent bottom 3 dman. Very physical. Okay defensively when the team was structured. Had a decent shot. Potent enough skater for his size. His main problem was when the other team was cycling in our zone he often got lost. But most often than not the play was dead before of the cycling because of his physicality. The number of time a guy simply gave the puck away behind our net or at the blue line just because Emelin was coming his way was incredible to witness. The guys would just gave up on a regular basis in front of him.

The problem was we missed a top 3 for most of his time here so we tried to turn either him or Gorges into a top 3 which he was not. Kinda like Chiarot right now who is a more than decent bottom 3 that we try to turn into a top 3. He just was not good enough to play that role with either Subban or Markov. But as the big guy on the 2nd pairing he was perfectly fine and a very fun player to watch specially against the Bruins XD

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Pleks signed in the Czech 2nd league, must really love playing cause the Czech league is on the weak side so I got to think the 2nd league is really weak. That said there's got to be some impact on all those players being loaned by NHL teams to different Euro leagues.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Pleks signed in the Czech 2nd league, must really love playing cause the Czech league is on the weak side so I got to think the 2nd league is really weak. That said there's got to be some impact on all those players being loaned by NHL teams to different Euro leagues.

Yea. He's playing for his hometown Kladno. Jagr will play there, too. He is part owner of that club, if I'm not mistaken.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Considering the skills level of those guys (Plek and Jagr) for them it's probably like playing in a beer league.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I saw where former Hab draft pick Chris Heino-Lindberg retired from hockey some 10 years ago to start a career as a singer Chris Lindberg. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised since he has sung the National anthem while still playing. Plus when I was watching him and Halak and I believe it was Loic Lacasse as our goalies in the development camp back when they held it at Pierrefonds. While there someone introduced me Heino-Lindberg's father and told me he was on tv in Finland I think it was a soap or something like that.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Former Hab draft pick Hayden Hawkey signs on with Greenville of the ECHL. I believe he was injured last year as he played only 3 games. I'll try and keep an eye out for him, always thought he could be something.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The Polish hockey league also started their season. Mike Cichy has 1 point in 2 games this season.

Newcomers to that league includes Israelian WC team superstar and Kazakh hockey league star Eliezer Sherbatov (also of Montreal Juniors and Baie-Comeau fame), former Wild 1st round pick Zack Phillips and former Habs prospects Ryan Glenn who's continuing his European tour at 40 years old, having previously played in Sweden, Finland, Austria, Czech Republic, Italy, Slovakia and Hungary.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Random previous draftee update!

Jozef Balej is starting his 2nd season in DEL2. Previously recently played in Slovakia and in the EBEL.

Maxim Lapierre is set to start his 2nd season in the DEL after playing the previous 4 years in the NLA.

After having been Klagenfurter Captain for 2 seasons, David Fischer has been retrograded to Assistant in favor of Austrian Manuel Ganahl.

Mark MacMillan might have found his spot in Denmark. Set to start his 2nd season with the Herning Blue Fox.

Sebastian Collberg still struggles to score as a pro. After a disappointing 13 points in 27 games in the EBEL, he is slated to play DEL2 this season.

Erik Nystrom burst of production in the Allvenskan in 2015-2016 was a flash in the pan. He went back under 0.5 ppg and moved to Denmark for 2020-2021.

Martin Reway is hopefully going to play a full season for HC Kosice in Slovakia after short burst of play with several teams in the last 3 years.

Daniel Audette decided to try his luck in Finland this season with Lukko.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Danny Kristo had 2 goals in his 1st game of the season for Kunlun of the KHL, one of them was setup by Hunter Shinkaruk. I was hoping to see the game but couldn't get a stream, I didn't even know he was over there as I was hoping to see '20 draftee German Shaporev.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

In a scratch-your-head moment, Réjean Tremblay wrote an article the other day about a time Guy Lafleur was in commercial to help raise awareness and donations for CHUM. And the Canadiens organization refused to let him wear his Habs jersey in that commercial.

Apparently, they want to separate themselves from any personal causes current and former players take on, unless it's for their own charity.

While not the end of the world, it does come off pretty low. It's not like he was doing commercials for a business looking to make a profit here. Then you understand they don't want to associate themselves with them.

But this is a charity for a hospital. You'd think they'd look past that.

Reactions: Gains

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
also saw that former Hab Mark Barberio has left the NHL and signed a 3 year deal to join the Swiss league.
Lol...I remember how some posters were convinced he could be a long term solution on defense and how we might have caught lightning in a bottle ( just like they were saying the same for Mathew Peca)... good times,

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
Lol...I remember how some posters were convinced he could be a long term solution on defense and how we might have caught lightning in a bottle ( just like they were saying the same for Mathew Peca)... good times,
Mostly media driven hype though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad