Former Ducks Thread II: AKA Wild Bill is good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Even if Pat had spent his entire time in Edm playing on the 4th line, it was a garbage trade by Murray. The retention was dumb, and the timing was suspect.

Last edited:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Even if Pat had spent his entire time in Edm playing on the 4th line, it was a garbage trade by Murray. The retention was dumb, and the timing was suspect.

Would you be fine with a uninspired, lazy 4th liner making 2 million a year then? Maroon stopped caring here, which was very evidence on his play on the shape he came into the season. We at least got some cap space and a pick for him (Kopacka looks decent for a 4th round pick). People need to stop acting like it's the worst trade ever.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Would you be fine with a uninspired, lazy 4th liner making 2 million a year then? Maroon stopped caring here, which was very evidence on his play on the shape he came into the season. We at least got some cap space and a pick for him (Kopacka looks decent for a 4th round pick). People need to stop acting like it's the worst trade ever.

He had a bad year, are you going to act like he was lazy and uninspired in all of his time here? You are building this idea that what we saw in that one stretch is all he was or all he was ever going to be. That's a pretty short-sighted assumption, and one that looks especially silly seeing what we see from him now.

Are you telling me that this roster wouldn't have looked better starting the season with Maroon on it?

Selling the cap space saved as a win, when we retained 500k for no good reason and turned and spent the bulk of that saved cap money on Boll, is pretty weak.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
People are acting like Maroon was consistently bad in Anaheim

Far from the truth. He was an effective player that could play on any line until his last half season with us

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
He's not in a contract year currently, he's still got another year left after this one.

As far as I know last season was the first season he came into since becoming a regular being drastically out of shape.

I imagine the terms of the trade (ANA had to retain and take back essentially a career AHL'er) probably served as a wake up call. Guys that get traded for returns like that are generally not long for the NHL.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
People are acting like Maroon was consistently bad in Anaheim

Far from the truth. He was an effective player that could play on any line until his last half season with us

I am not dismissing his upsides, but there is a noticable difference. He has gone from 2-3 seasons of ~10 goals to 25+ goals. We only have Rakell that has more goals currently.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Is "bad" Maroon at 2 million really worse than Boll at 1.4 million?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Plus 500K retention on Maroon, who he replaces.

Eh, that's a weird way to look at in my opinion. It'd be like me saying we got a 4th, D prospect, and Lindholm/Rakell(help with the extra cap) for Maroon.

If Maroon was having the same type of season in Edmonton as he was his last months here, no one would be complaining.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Eh, that's a weird way to look at in my opinion. It'd be like me saying we got a 4th, D prospect, and Lindholm/Rakell(help with the extra cap) for Maroon.

If Maroon was having the same type of season in Edmonton as he was his last months here, no one would be complaining.

Hmm, this isn't true. If you go back a look at the posts made when the trade was announced, you'll see plenty of people making these same arguments before Maroon had even stepped foot on the plane to Edmonton.

The way I look at it, Ritchie is Maroon's replacement. He's cheaper, younger, and has probably produced in the neighborhood of what I would have expected from Pat, had he still been with the team this season. I just wish Murray had waited until the summer to move him. He could have waited to see if Pat, who had a strong previous playoffs, might have picked his game up, not only possibly helping the team but upping his trade value from negative to at least neutral FFS. Ritchie was abysmal late last season, and everyone else we had outside of Perron and McGinn were plugs.

The only thing that would make sense to me is that there was an attitude issue that pushed him out the door at the first opportunity, ala Penner, but there's nothing much to support that.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I would have preferred we waive him for nothing than get the 4th and have to pay retention. That was just stupid.

But even better, keep him as depth through the season and trade him with no retention at the end of the year.

Oct 18, 2011
There's alot of revisionist history taking place with Maroon, he was one of this boards biggest targets last year.

I got no issue with people hating that trade but let's not pretend he wasn't awful for most of last year either

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
There's alot of revisionist history taking place with Maroon, he was one of this boards biggest targets last year.

I got no issue with people hating that trade but let's not pretend he wasn't awful for most of last year either

People are also forgetting though that he was just starting to pick up his offensive game on a line with Rakell and Perry right before he was traded. He had a terrible first half of the year like 90% of the roster that doesn't mean he would have continued playing like garbage.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014

Everyone is saying that he was bad last year, not sure what this is referring to.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
he wasn't bad a couple seasons ago but last season he lost a step or two in his game for sure

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

We have historically been a budget team, and the role of "big meathead to beat on people" was filled by Maroon. That team position is now filled by Boll, with a net savings of 600K. Maroon had 13 points in the 56 games he played here. Boll has had exactly 13 points in his last four sesons, combined. Maroon has had 38 fights in the last 4 years, and is abrasive and will actually enforce. Boll has had 42 fights over the last 4 years, and outside of last night, will not.

We have 2.6M in cap space. We would have 2.0M with Maroon on the team.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
To change the subject, the Wild are 3-10-0 for March. Gotta say it is starting a bit early for Bruce this year. As we know, he is usually strong up to the playoffs. Maybe it'll be good for them and they can turn it around when they get there, or maybe the meltdowns are going to come sooner.

He has been visibly frustrated... brings back bad memories for me.

John

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
To change the subject, the Wild are 3-10-0 for March. Gotta say it is starting a bit early for Bruce this year. As we know, he is usually strong up to the playoffs. Maybe it'll be good for them and they can turn it around when they get there, or maybe the meltdowns are going to come sooner.

He has been visibly frustrated... brings back bad memories for me.

John

Ouch, 3-10-0. I knew they lost games but that was bad.

I feel sorry for them. :sarcasm:

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Yeah, I visited the Wild forum last night and I just feel bad for them honestly. Wishing all the best for Bruce unless he's against the Ducks that is. Also I am personally invested in that team since I'm banking on Niederreiter in my fantasy, but that's all going to hell now with Burns and Crawford's meltdowns too lately. That's another topic though.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
**** the Wild and their pretentious fan base I say. Probably the most elitist USA team in terms of their fans although the Blackhawks are giving them a run for their money with their recent success

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
**** the Wild and their pretentious fan base I say. Probably the most elitist USA team in terms of their fans although the Blackhawks are giving them a run for their money with their recent success

Agreed 100%. **** the Wild and **** their fans. That team has also been playing way over their heads all year, they're not going anywhere with Granlund as their number one forward.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

I find this an odd statement in light of the team coming to town today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad