Former Ducks - (2023-24 Season Edition )

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I don't know - Rakell was good for like three seasons until last year's resurgence (which is looking more like a dead cat bounce). Outside of 2016-2018, he is just a 2nd line winger, good for about 20 goals, 40 - 45 points per season. And I know some of those seasons were better than others if you games played into account, but other than the COVID year, those games played were down because of injuries, which should be factored in to his value.

So maybe it's not that his prime was short. He's actually still in it. But "prime" Rakell is a mediocre 2nd line right wing, when at his peak he was a decent top liner. His prime just isn't all that great. Not bad, certainly not for a late 1st rounder, but not anything to get excited about.
I'm not saying he's a great player or anything or ever was really just that he needs to play with other forwards who drive the play. i actually wasn't thinking about his prime in my initial comment at all

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
"winning" the Drysdale trade would be one of the most bittersweet transactions this franchise has seen. I can't remember one where we came out on top and I was ultimately bummed.

Pragmatically, it's looking like a very savvy move so far. Who knows, Gauthier could still be NHL trash.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
-17 over is 21 games in philly, and that's good for third worst on that team over the entire season.

I don't mean to be dramatic, but his setbacks seem to be slowly drowning what could have been.

I recall their head coach saying they don't play man, it'll take awhile to get learn the new system. Drysdale said the last time he played zone was in juniors. Dunno how long it'll take him get know the defense well enough to not be exposed?

Reactions: Kalv and Static

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I have no love for Philly, but I couldn't watch the highlights after goal 6. It was brutal.

Drysdale looked completely lost on all of those goals. To be fair, most of the Philly players did, so it wasn't just him. But there were a couple of goals where he was drifting uselessly in the slot area, blocking no passing lanes and disrupting no opposing players. Poor Jamie.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I have no love for Philly, but I couldn't watch the highlights after goal 6. It was brutal.

Drysdale looked completely lost on all of those goals. To be fair, most of the Philly players did, so it wasn't just him. But there were a couple of goals where he was drifting uselessly in the slot area, blocking no passing lanes and disrupting no opposing players. Poor Jamie.
Unfortunately I think he'll need a change of scenery again eventually.
I remember in his draft year he was compared here to Fowler but as a RD version of him.
Here's hoping he can have a Fowler type career in Philly.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sucks that Drysdale is struggling. Always liked the kid, he never asked to be traded. I don’t think anyone can say the Ducks won this trade since Gauthier has yet to play a single NHL game, but I have very high hopes for Gauthier, to be at worst a 20-25 Goal, 50 point 2nd line two-way winger. His numbers are beyond impressive, and he is a player that will compliment what we have and what we desperately need.

Not to sound like a jerk, but after these last 3 or 4 years, I feel we deserve to have a trade go in our favor for once.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Sucks that Drysdale is struggling. Always liked the kid, he never asked to be traded. I don’t think anyone can say the Ducks won this trade since Gauthier has yet to play a single NHL game, but I have very high hopes for Gauthier, to be at worst a 20-25 Goal, 50 point 2nd line two-way winger. His numbers are beyond impressive, and he is a player that will compliment what we have and what we desperately need.

Not to sound like a jerk, but after these last 3 or 4 years, I feel we deserve to have a trade go in our favor for once.
Seeing how other big & fast guys like Byfield and Fantilli (whom people questioned their hockey IQ) have done this year has me very hopefully that Gauthier will succeed. Byfield took longer because his frame is even bigger at 6'5 while Gauthier is 6'2 like Fantilli.

I think next season will be a fresh start for Drysdale and he will eventually round out to be a very good 2nd pairing guy who brings 38 to 42 points per year like Cam Fowler. I do wonder if Murray was still GM if he would have made the same trade or keep Drysdale and eventually give him a 8 year deal with NTC after he has a career high 40 points. Murray did keep Rakell/Lindholm/Henrique too long.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Seeing how other big & fast guys like Byfield and Fantilli (whom people questioned their hockey IQ) have done this year has me very hopefully that Gauthier will succeed. Byfield took longer because his frame is even bigger at 6'5 while Gauthier is 6'2 like Fantilli.

I think next season will be a fresh start for Drysdale and he will eventually round out to be a very good 2nd pairing guy who brings 38 to 42 points per year like Cam Fowler. I do wonder if Murray was still GM if he would have made the same trade or keep Drysdale and eventually give him a 8 year deal with NTC after he has a career high 40 points. Murray did keep Rakell/Lindholm/Henrique too long.

Probably different situations b/c I think Murray would have added FA's or traded for top-6 forwards after the 2021-22 season to make a run for the playoffs. Murray was already thinking about trading one of the youth D in Thrun, LaCombe, or Moore in the 2021 summer for a forward, but Murray let the team develop b/c it was too early to start acquiring talent.

The big jump in production at the start of the 2021-22 season would have prompted Murray to help out the defense when injuries started to happen such as Manson going to IR at all-star break. Also, because this was going to be Getzlaf's last season.

We were 3rd in the Pacific at all-star break when Verbeek took over. At the TDL, game 62, we were 6th in the Pacific, but only 4 points from 3rd place. Manson was missing for 12 consecutive games since the All-star break and Verbeek just sat on his hands to let three rookie Ds on the ice at the same time in Drysdale, Benoit, and Mahura; the latter two really not ready for the NHL full time.

It's crazy to think how close we were to turning things around and McTavish would be coming the following season.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
perreault has 1 G and 1 A in 13 games since joining montreal's AHL team

really had high hopes for him when he was drafted, but doesn't look like he's got any sort of NHL future. won't be surprised if he's in europe next year

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
perreault has 1 G and 1 A in 13 games since joining montreal's AHL team

really had high hopes for him when he was drafted, but doesn't look like he's got any sort of NHL future. won't be surprised if he's in europe next year
He was always boom/bust. He didn’t boom…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad