Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Hows wiese doing for the hawks havent noticed him

corona

Jan 20, 2007
You guys might be interested in this: we had Kyle Wellwood on Real Good Show, and he was super nice and hilarious. Told some great stories about his time as a Canuck, and talked about the infamous poolside paparazzi photo. Also it turns out he's really into Dota 2. http://realgoodshow.com/blog/2016/4/20/episode-42-kyle-wellwood

Just listened to the whole thing. Kyle Wellwood is awesome, seems like he'd be a cool guy to hang out with. I liked how you brought up the paparazzi photo and the AV interview, haha.

I think he would have been great as back up in the case of injuries to the 2011 team. Our center depth wouldn't have taken so much of a hit when Malhotra went down. Probably wouldn't have worked out salary wise though. But Wellwood was so good at supporting the D and getting the puck out of the zone. And of course he had magic hands.

This is my favourite moment from him. So close to a highlight reel goal:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Bourne I'm wondering where you have heard all the Garrison buyout talk?

I would think that if they were looking to offload salary than Callahan and Carle would go.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Bourne I'm wondering where you have heard all the Garrison buyout talk?

I would think that if they were looking to offload salary than Callahan and Carle would go.

There's a zero percent chance they are buying out Garrison. They've had nothing but praise for him on their board, and he is basically their number 3.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Hows wiese doing for the hawks havent noticed him

From the Hawks board it seems he's been terrible both his time in the regular season and thus far in the playoffs.

He seems to be a guy that can somewhat shine on a team that lacks depth where he gets icetime (sort of a someone has to score type thing) and he can definitely go on hot streaks but ultimately he's not a great player.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
There's a zero percent chance they are buying out Garrison. They've had nothing but praise for him on their board, and he is basically their number 3.

He's their #3 and with Stralman out, he has been their #2. But he can't skate like Bartkowski so clearly he's useless... :laugh:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
From the Hawks board it seems he's been terrible both his time in the regular season and thus far in the playoffs.

He seems to be a guy that can somewhat shine on a team that lacks depth where he gets icetime (sort of a someone has to score type thing) and he can definitely go on hot streaks but ultimately he's not a great player.

That guy, complaining how no one in Vancouver noticed him when he stepped out of his condo and onto the streets...goes to Montreal and is celebrated to high heaven which strokes his ego cause head a great bottom 6 player for them given the opportunity.

With the Habs struggling this year, his 15 minutes were up and is back to trash.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Don't mind me, I'll just be here waiting for Garrison to get bought out...

553a98434aa21808310057d3.jpg

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
No chance Garrison gets bought out, Tampa actually respects how good of a dman he is. Even if he was another team would quickly step up and offer him more this summer. The UFA market for top-4 defensemen is nonexistent.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
No chance Garrison gets bought out, Tampa actually respects how good of a dman he is. Even if he was another team would quickly step up and offer him more this summer. The UFA market for top-4 defensemen is nonexistent.

Yeah seems like some people here have a habit of looking at Garrison's ice time and point totals in Tampa and assuming he sucks for them. Kind of like how there was that ridiculous notion that Vancouver should buy him out while he was here.

The situation with Tampa is they have Stralman, Garrison, Carle, and Coburn all making roughly the same amount of money and signed till 2018/2019, and they'll likely have to move on before the start of the 2017-18 season to make room for Hedman/Johnson/Palat pay raises.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
This talk of Garrison being bought out is absolutely ridiculous, he was a #3 dman on a team that went to the finals last year and now he's a #2 dman on a team that's going to win a playoff series. Absolutely ridiculous, especially with a team with Matt Carle on the books.

It's like saying LA is going to buy out Alec Martinez.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
Just curious what makes Jason Garrison a "#2 dman"? His TOI has him on the second pairing, his counting stats aren't great, and his relative possession and goal differential numbers are poor against fairly weak competition. What gives?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Just curious what makes Jason Garrison a "#2 dman"? His TOI has him on the second pairing, his counting stats aren't great, and his relative possession and goal differential numbers are poor against fairly weak competition. What gives?

His TOI has him as their #2 in the playoffs. His regular season TOI has him as their #3. His advanced stats are ruined by babysitting Carle (45CF% together, 52CF% without). Not surprisingly, that's the guy that the TBL fans want bought out or otherwise disposed of.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

for sure. Even if they wanted to they couldn't, he wouldn't clear waivers.:laugh:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Garrison provides way too much value to be bought out. Not happening.

You guys might be interested in this: we had Kyle Wellwood on Real Good Show, and he was super nice and hilarious. Told some great stories about his time as a Canuck, and talked about the infamous poolside paparazzi photo. Also it turns out he's really into Dota 2. http://realgoodshow.com/blog/2016/4/20/episode-42-kyle-wellwood

Thanks for posting that interview. I miss Welly; not only was he a quirky fellow, he was a nifty - and most importantly, good - little player to boot.

Just listened to the whole thing. Kyle Wellwood is awesome, seems like he'd be a cool guy to hang out with. I liked how you brought up the paparazzi photo and the AV interview, haha.

I think he would have been great as back up in the case of injuries to the 2011 team. Our center depth wouldn't have taken so much of a hit when Malhotra went down. Probably wouldn't have worked out salary wise though. But Wellwood was so good at supporting the D and getting the puck out of the zone. And of course he had magic hands.

This is my favourite moment from him. So close to a highlight reel goal:

Exactly how I feel - I always thought that he should never have been let go and would've been awesome insurance on the 4th line even though I'm not sure how the cap would've worked out. The fact that he could comfortably anchor a line in the top 9 would have been crucially important once Malhotra lost his eye...

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Actually I went back and looked at some of the numbers and roughed it. Under a cap of 59.4M and only a 22 man roster (13 fwds, 7 D) with Salo on LTIR, it seems like they could've made it work with enough cap room to fit Wellwood in there on a 1.5M contract... wonder if this was actually possible had they performed their usual opening day roster shenanigans to get close to the cap and utilize that cap relief.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
His TOI has him as their #2 in the playoffs. His regular season TOI has him as their #3. His advanced stats are ruined by babysitting Carle (45CF% together, 52CF% without). Not surprisingly, that's the guy that the TBL fans want bought out or otherwise disposed of.

Ah makes sense, should've checked the wowys.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Let's assume that Garrison's play had nothing to do with Carle - how many here really would rather have Pizza over him on the team now? (Both have contracts with the same duration).

Buyout? Moronic suggestion - especially when you consider Garrison's deal is *FRONT END LOADED*. Gee whiz....aren't the Bolts trying to re-sign Stamkos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad