For once Montreal and Boston fans can agree on something

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think you're mistaking a 10 second triple fist pump for the pregame ceremonies at the Bell Center. :sarcasm:

(In all seriousness, when they show them on TV, I do love Bell Center ceremonies/pre-game shows that they occasionally do; they're probably the best in the NHL. I don't mind waiting a couple of extra minutes for the puck drop because they're done so well. I wish the Garden had a cool torch.)

As for Rene, he's hokey. He's not always pitch perfect. But he's tradition, and should be there - and Ginette should be welcomed with open arms as well.

And as far as The Voice being about the "blind auditions" - that's not totally true. They sing ONE song blind. Out of probably like 10 or 11 that each contestant does throughout the season if they make it to the end. After song 1, they're TOTALLY judged on everything else: looks, performance, pizazz, their "story", etc. That's not to say that the kid can't sing - he probably can. But the show has produced basically clunker artists. (Unless there are some country singers who do well - I don't really follow much country.) In five years, I want to say "Rene sang the anthem", and not "Some random guy - Jordan Smith - sang it. I think he was on American Idol or X Factor."

As usual, I like what this guy ^ says. The point of transplanting a hockey game onto an awkward football field and wearing vintage jerseys is to celebrate tradition. So embrace this part of tradition -- bring on the Cowardly Lion and Mama Smurf.

And Fenway, what's with the fixation on anthem singers, man? Be careful -- getting hung up on our singer is like a gateway drug towards liking the team. Actually, I'm probably your flip side -- Boston is one of my favourite cities and I have an abiding respect for the team that goes all the way back to Orr, Espo and Cheevers.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
There are certain cities where the anthem singer is part of the gameday fabric of a team. Think John Amirante in NY and Lauren Hart in Philly. Rene in Boston is the same, and not having him there is a travesty (and keep in mind I was a Whalers fan who hates the ruins more than anyone). I honestly think if someone pulled this with Hart the city of Philladelphia would erupt in riots.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00