Seravalli: Flyers willing to package 7, 22 + to get into the top 5 and draft Michkov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Worst move they could make imo. You take Michkov at 5 unless you get a huge overpayment. Top 2 talent in this draft. If all top 5 picks come and do as advertise Michkov would easily go 2nd OA. If he drops to 5 you take him simple. I think the Sharks are going to grab him so you need to deal with them.
The Habs will be happy with Smith and could hit the jackpot if Michkov is still around.
If the Habs don't want him, which is what I'm assuming is true, then you capitalize on the hype around Michkov and get more assets if you're just going to pass on him

Reactions: pth2

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
You give me the choice of
Leonard and Foerster or Michkov
I easily take Michkov.
Hopefully this is just more drama trying to be drummed up and Hughes isn't stupid enough to pass on a shot at a potential franchise player in Michkov.
All these discussions assume Hughes doesn't want Michkov.
It's not hard to understand.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
It looks like Montreal really like both Reinbacher and Leonard so I wouldn’t be surprised of they do move back to 7 (knowing Michkov is taken at 5) and get one of their guy + extra assets, especially if one of the asset include another first round pick.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if the + to 7 & 22 is taking on Hoffman final year. Doesn’t hurt Philly in a way that they don’t have to add more future assets and they have the cap space to take on Hoffman for a year.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Exactly. It’s probably a move that wouldn’t happen until Montreal is on the clock obviously. Assuming that’s what this is about.
It's probably been discussed at length though, and all that can happen on draft day is tweaking based on past discussions.

Reactions: Petes2424

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
You give me the choice of
Leonard and Foerster or Michkov
I easily take Michkov.
Hopefully this is just more drama trying to be drummed up and Hughes isn't stupid enough to pass on a shot at a potential franchise player in Michkov.
I don't even think calling him a potential franchise player is fair. He's a generational talent imo.

He's almost guaranteed to be franchise level player if he comes over to NA and puts the work in.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Why? Picking Michkov would be a bigger win.
ALl these discussions assume Hughes doesn't want Michkov.
It's not hard to understand.

It looks like Montreal really like both Reinbacher and Leonard so I wouldn’t be surprised of they do move back to 7 (knowing Michkov is taken at 5) and get one of their guy + extra assets, especially if one of the asset include another first round pick.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if the + to 7 & 22 is taking on Hoffman final year. Doesn’t hurt Philly in a way that they don’t have to add more future assets and they have the cap space to take on Hoffman for a year.
I'd think Armia would a bigger win to move. Habs have one more bad season for sure, but by 24-25 they'll want cap space to improve with an eye on the playoffs.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Why? Picking Michkov would be a bigger win.
If the Ducks, Jackets, Sharks and Habs don't like the player, there is a possibility there might be something to it. On the other hand their concerns about the player might be over blown.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
This would be a great franchise altering trade. I hate the Flyers but hats to them if they pull it off.

Michkov is the clear cut #2 prospect in my opinion.
Be funny if they made the trade then SJS took Michkov, leaving them with a guy they probably could have got at 7 anyway

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Briere lets rebuild
also Brière give an extra first + an asset for 2 spots

...smart

St. Louis was rebuilding in 2007 and offered #9 and #24 to move up to #6 because they wanted Jakub Voracek. Edmonton declined, St. Louis ended up with Lars Eller, Ian Cole, and a couple extra non-NHLers with the picks.

It's feasible that they think Michkov is a future star and certainly worth the move up.

Edit: A more recent example would be from the 2017 Draft. The Rangers offered #7 and #21 to move up to #3 and Dallas declined.

Last edited:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It won't be 5 for 7 and 22. There is a significant drop from the top 5.

Foester has to be in the mix.

5 for 7, Foester and 22.

Habs lose out on what may be a generational player and gain very probable 3 NHL pieces. Which may be top 6.

Our problem is that we are going to have a glut of high to very high quality prospects, likely mid level or better NHL talent, but no superstars.

BTW...it may be moot if Smith drops to us.

• Haha
Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Getting to #4 or #5 OA from #7 , the cost will be MASSIVE.

After Smith/Michkov/Fantilli/Carlsson, the dropoff in talent is pretty big.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
What’s the chances of Michkov leaving Russia and playing in the NHL next year? He’s such an intriguing player…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad