Rumor: Flyers waived Ghost to clear cap for major deal

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Florida probably claims Ghost and Philly trades for Ekholm. That's just my hunch though.

The only thing I'm unsure of is why did whoever Philly's trade partner is not want Ghost themselves?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I thought Ghost was considered really promising a few years ago... has he really been that bad? I honestly don't follow/watch the Flyers much, I just remember a lot of people considering him a future top pairing guy.

It's easy to overlook a defenseman's flaws when he's putting up 17 goals as a 22 year-old or 65 points soon after, especially when he was a 3rd rounder whose stock just kept rising. Less easy when the offensive numbers dive back to mere human and the defense was never great.

Still a NHL-caliber defenseman, just one who went from slightly overpaid to untradeable with the flat cap.

Reactions: DaveG and lwvs84

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I think Florida probably claims Ghost and Philly trades for Ekholm. That's just my hunch though.

The only thing I'm unsure of is why did whoever Philly's trade partner is not want Ghost themselves?

If you already have D that play on the PP, you probably don't want a D with a bigger contract and term that has well noted defensive issues and doesn't put up points at ES.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Doesn't waiving him only save like $1M against the cap? And are they planning to send him down or leave him on the taxi squad? Otherwise, this doesn't really make sense. Or am I missing something?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The people on here are far overestimating the intelligence of AV and Fletcher on here. They might overpay for stiffs at this rate. Watch them lose Ghost and over pay trade for Bernier and Glendening. Or Sam Bennett.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad