Flyers trade deadline (Flyers claim J. Oduya off waivers; lose Alt to Colorado)

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Can you name a player during Hextalls era that was showcased and then dumped?

Vinny was scratched almost an entire season when they traded him. Schenn was in and out of the lineup. Kimmo didn’t play a single game.

Manning being showcased is wishful thinking. The highest probability is the team actually likes him as a player.

Several players have been show cased. Those players were just really bad or injured. I’m not sure you can say when a player isn’t traded that they weren’t shopped. You won’t hear about failed trade attempts until long down the road as it should be. Hextall extracts good value in trades. A lot of the guys we want to trade aside from lehtera have some value to playoff teams. Even lethera has a name value. It would be really dumb to not trade manning and filp. Although manning is a good 7th dmen, I think amac should be that guy next year. Filp could have been used as a holdover for patrick, even frost, but he’s been horrible. Bringing down an entire line and pp.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It takes two to tango.
Hard to get most teams to make a move until close to the trade deadline (are we buyers or sellers?).
And injuries can quickly change the equation (trade middle round pick for Manning or bring up an AHL defenseman?).

A guy like Simmonds could go earlier to a team like St Louis that is trading not to make the playoffs but to support a deep run.
But that would require Hextall to throw in the towel when the team is only a couple points out of a playoff spot.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Coburn for one, Streit for another. There have been a lot of players who have been regulars in the Hextall era, but then were either traded or allowed to leave.

Coburn - 39 games at 20:14 in 14-15, traded on 3/2/15
Grossmann - 68 games at 17:39 in 14-15, traded on 6/27/15
Rinaldo - 58 games at 8:55 in 14-15, traded on 6/29/15

Luke Schenn - 29 games at 17:35 in 15-16, traded on 1/6/16
Medvedev - 45 games at 18:49 in 15-16, left as a UFA on 6/30/16
Gagner - 53 games at 13:51 in 15-16, left as a UFA on 6/30/16
White - 73 games at 12:33 in 15-16, left as a UFA on 6/30/16

Streit - 49 games at 19:23 in 16-17, traded on 3/1/17
Cousins - 60 games at 12:00 in 16-17, traded on 6/16/17
Bellemare - 82 games at 12:58 in 16-17, left in expansion draft on 6/21/17
Brayden Schenn - 79 games at 17:48, traded on 6/23/17
VdV - 81 games at 11:33 in 16-17, left as a UFA on 6/30/17
MDZ - 51 games at 19:30 in 16-17, left as a UFA on 6/30/17
Coburn and Streit were regulars in the lineup well before they were traded. How were they showcased just to trade them which is currently a theory as to why Manning is playing?

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Not sure why people think Simmonds is going to be traded...He's having a down year, he wants to stay here, he is one of the few good vets we have. He probably doesn't want as much money as people think, especially since his 5v5 numbers aren't great this year. I believe he's getting resigned for a 5 years at $5-6 mil a year.

With the heavy slew of assets that we have, we should assume only players who truly are not part of the solution are to be traded. Hextall values all of his players, even if we do not.

My guess for movable parts:

Neuvirth - if were out of a playoff spot or package deal for vet Dman
Manning - if were out of playoff spot or package deal
Lethera - We would move reguardless
Amac - if were out of playoff spot
Gudas - If return is high and were out of a playoff spot or package deal for vet Dman
Weise - Would move for another body or asset
Filp - if were out of a playoff spot or a vet swap for a vet Dman.
Read - Would move for another body or asset
Raffl - very unlikely, but there could be a huge overpayment for a guy of his skill set for a playoff team. Would fill several roles and can produce with good players. One of the best depth forwards in the league, but I think we'd prefer to resign him.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I think teams would lowball offers on Gudas because it's pretty clear that the Flyers don't properly value him.

MacDonald isn't going anywhere. Feel like the available pieces would be Neurvirth, Read, and Sanheim/Morin.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I think teams would lowball offers on Gudas because it's pretty clear that the Flyers don't properly value him.

MacDonald isn't going anywhere. Feel like the available pieces would be Neurvirth, Read, and Sanheim/Morin.

Gudas is one suspension away from sitting for 20 games. He's high risk.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Neuvirth isn't going anywhere, no replacement for him this year or next.
MacDonald is tradeable with salary retained, we moved L Schenn.
Lehtera and Weise can't be traded, even at minimum salary they'd be lucky to be picked up on waivers
Read didn't garner any interest when he was waived
Filppula might get you a late round pick from a team looking for a veteran 3rd line LW
Manning will get you a mid-round pick

Gudas would get a good haul, but we're not trading him
Raffl is worth more to the Flyers than other teams would likely offer, and they may extend him a year or two.

Reactions: explosive skating

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
Gudas is one suspension away from sitting for 20 games. He's high risk.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say...

If the Flyers indeed properly evaluate Gudas and they "play it safe" by giving him less icetime than MacDonald, who is clearly worse, then they sacrifice around 12 games during a full season. Going by icetime over the last 5 games, MacDonald averages 20:38 while Gudas averages 17:30. That strategery doesn't make sense.

How would you assess Gudas' trade value versus Tanev's?

explosive skating

Jul 5, 2015
Neuvirth isn't going anywhere, no replacement for him this year or next.
MacDonald is tradeable with salary retained, we moved L Schenn.
Lehtera and Weise can't be traded, even at minimum salary they'd be lucky to be picked up on waivers
Read didn't garner any interest when he was waived
Filppula might get you a late round pick from a team looking for a veteran 3rd line LW
Manning will get you a mid-round pick

Gudas would get a good haul, but we're not trading him
Raffl is worth more to the Flyers than other teams would likely offer, and they may extend him a year or two.

I agree with all these concepts except bolded. I think Neuvy may be traded if Flyers are out of the playoff picture. And there are no playoff teams which need Filppula, so what's the point of bringing him.

People believing that Lehtera or Weise can be traded are lunatics. Maybe if Hexy added a big piece.. But we all know he doesn't do it this way.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Stolarz had been healthy and played well, Neuvirth might be on the block, but who's your backup goalie if you trade him, not just to finish this season, but next year? It's not like he's gonna garner a 1st or 2nd rd pick.

Filppula can play, just not as a center. All it takes is the right injury.

Reactions: BernieParent

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
I don't think Hakstol is capable of trusting any goalie that doesn't have an established NHL resume. Trading Neuvirth and hoping youth will step up is a good way to see Hak try and start Elliott 80 times.

Another playoffs believer!

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
still going to have to go slow with the goalie prospects once they do go pro. how many young goalies come in and dominate right away?
Even Price struggled early in his career. hopefully everyone has the patience to deal without. fans and folks in the organization.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lyon and Stolarz are marginal prospects right now, Hart is at least a year away, and probably a season playing backup in the NHL.
The others are even further away unless Sandstrom finishes strong, and I think he'd replace Hart as #1 in LHV for a year before coming to the NHL.

Shodein

May 27, 2015
Can you name a player during Hextalls era that was showcased and then dumped?

Vinny was scratched almost an entire season when they traded him. Schenn was in and out of the lineup. Kimmo didn’t play a single game.

Manning being showcased is wishful thinking. The highest probability is the team actually likes him as a player.
Exactly. So, why haven't they sent Sanheim back down? (When they said they wouldn't bring up kids just to sit them in the press box)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall is probably waiting for some things to resolve themselves.

There may be a fixable flaw that they want to work on in practice before inserting him back in the lineup.
He may have a trade in the works.
Or he may just want to see if the recent play was sustainable before sending him down.

It's a long season and a long career, I just don't get too excited about it right now.
Ghost blew out his ACL, started the next season in the AHL, somehow it didn't end his career.
Sanheim is only 21, a couple weeks won't make or break him.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Hextall needs to buy or sell. Either add an impact player and give your core a chance to win or sell Simmonds and others for futures and play the kids the rest of the year.

I am honestly fine with either of those. What I am not ok with is doing nothing. Doing nothing would be a huge middle finger to the fans of this team.

Reactions: Tripod

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
A depth acquisition could really help cement a playoff spot. Something like weal and a 3rd for maroon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad