Dreger: Flyers taking calls on Ivan Provorov

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Atleast a few more teams will pull a Provorov and a Rangers by years end

Anyone thinking his trade value is linked to this is delusional
I'm sure he still has high value and many teams will be interested. But my point was that a few teams will likely be told by ownership to not trade for him.

For example, I'd be shocked if an organization like MLSE would acquire Provorov.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Have to wonder if this is a result of teams getting fed up with Arizona asking for the moon from teams on Chychrun. If you can go out and get Provorov for a more reasonable price instead, his contract isn't quite as friendly, but it's still absolutely fine value, if you can spend less assets to bring him in. Very comparable player overall imo. Seems generally more durable too.
He's very durable. The only games he has missed as a pro were due to a Covid test.

Does he play RHD? Maybe Ott would have interest

He steadfastly refuses to ever play the right side even if he's playing with a left handed rookie.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Will he bitch like Trouba if he does not get PP-time and ruin the PP when he plays? If not Jets should ask atleast...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
a fair package for Provorov doesn't really seem like something most teams looking to acquire players still possess right now? he would need a pretty big package to pry him away, despite any poor play he's had. as much as he doesn't impress as a top pair deeman, or been able to carry a apair on his own, he is still quality. Flyers have been trying so hard for years to get him linked up with the right partner...Ghost (often worked), Niskanen (worked), Ellis (didn't work) and DeAngelo (didn't work)...and it's not hard to envision a team with more quality deemen to try out with him could work very well.

Provy-Ellis looked great together for about 4 preseason games and 4 regular season games.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Will he bitch like Trouba if he does not get PP-time and ruin the PP when he plays? If not Jets should ask atleast...
he may complain about that? he has played a ton of PP in Philly, and has never looked even average. it is not a good role for him...but his continuing at it may speak to his own desires. has never been clearly disclosed one way or another.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's very durable. The only games he has missed as a pro were due to a Covid test.

He steadfastly refuses to ever play the right side even if he's playing with a left handed rookie.

Yeah. For some reason, i thought he'd also missed a few other games at some other point for something else...but that's actually even more impressive. That's a noticeable advantage over Chychrun, whose durability comes with some real questionmarks.

The whole refusal to play RHD thing is also really weird to me. I could've sworn back in Brandon, i saw him play some RHD...but i'm probably just misremembering. It's also weird though, as it actually seems pretty common for Russian LHD to play their off side. Some even seem to prefer it. It doesn't seem like Provorov has some glaring weakness that would be horrifically exposed on his off side either. Just weird. But i mean...if you know you're truly not comfortable playing there and think you're going to be a liability for some reason, i guess it's better to make that known. It seems weirdly stubborn though.

Though York playing his off side also makes plenty of sense. He's such a fluid defender anyway, it doesn't seem to be a big deal for him at all. So the more comfortable player is taking that on, even if they're a rookie.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
To :hawks
D Ivan Provorov

To :flyers
D Seith Jones ($1M retained)

Reunite Torts/Jones

Jones has NMC but pretty sure he would be happy to get out of Chicago situation at this point and Flyers are nowhere near the dumps the Hawks are in

Hawks ride out Provorov remaining contract or look to move him later on down line

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Given all his baggage, can't see too many teams all that interested
If Vancouver could someone send OEL back in a deal I would, we are team Russia it seems now so why not add another!?

But that is doubtful to happen...maybe a deal around Myers but we still left with OEL and would have 6m plus on 3 left side D which woudl be insane only something Jim Benning would probably do!

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The whole refusal to play RHD thing is also really weird to me. I could've sworn back in Brandon, i saw him play some RHD...but i'm probably just misremembering. It's also weird though, as it actually seems pretty common for Russian LHD to play their off side. Some even seem to prefer it. It doesn't seem like Provorov has some glaring weakness that would be horrifically exposed on his off side either. Just weird. But i mean...if you know you're truly not comfortable playing there and think you're going to be a liability for some reason, i guess it's better to make that known. It seems weirdly stubborn though.
He's made his opinion quite clear on perfectly normal things that he deems, without a shred of evidence, to be unnatural.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
And the play-by-play of the derailment by someone with airs of being above it all in no way contributes to the unfolding catastrophe.

I'm contributing my take on the player and reputation as evenly as I can. I am above it, because arguing people's dug-in worldviews on the trade board of HFBoards.com is just a futile exercise that sucks. Especially when you're walking right into the trap you know they've set for you. Don't give 'em what they're looking for.

Reactions: Viqsi

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Provorov plays with an oddly long stick so that's probably a reason he doesn't want to play RD.

Whatever nonsense was in the media recently in regards to Provorov isn't going to factor into his value. This isn't some Evander Kane saga.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
If a team adds both Provorov and Ghost to reunite them they’d end up with the ideal second line pair and be able to bolster both their PP and PK. I’m pretty high on Provorov and think, like many Ghost, he’d thrive as soon as he gets away from this hell hole.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Given all his baggage, can't see too many teams all that interested

Look. I actually think he’s an absolute dickhead, not only because of his stance, but because he’s apparently just not well liked by his teammates for reasons beyond that. That said, people saying that his value has completely tanked based on the recent events are completely out to lunch and naive to just how much management and players overlook so long as you play well and contribute.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
When the King's asked earlier the year believe Philly wanted a top 6 forward coming back. Not something the King's have extra of right now. Wonder if the ask has changed.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
all those people who bought his flyers jersey after the pride night debacle are in shambles now.

Except, you’re wrong. They bought it for the name in the back, not the crest in the front. These people are jackasses whose sole purpose in life apparently, is to get a rise out of others just trying to live.

• Haha
Reactions: mj2sexay

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
he may complain about that? he has played a ton of PP in Philly, and has never looked even average. it is not a good role for him...but his continuing at it may speak to his own desires. has never been clearly disclosed one way or another.
What I thought, in that case Jets should stay clear..

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No, and it's a testament to his great enthusiasm for the game and his team that he is unwilling to try. He's never lined up on the right side of a pairing and the Flyers have spent countless assets trying to find RD partner who works well with him. Ghost, playing on his offside, was excellent with him, and they recently forced rookie Cam York to his opposite side to play with Provorov for a few months. He's apparently very resistant to it.
Well, that's not very cheerful. That and one or two other things are making him sound potentially uncoachble.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Look. I actually think he’s an absolute dickhead, not only because of his stance, but because he’s apparently just not well liked by his teammates for reasons beyond that. That said, people saying that his value has completely tanked based on the recent events are completely out to lunch and naive to just how much management and players overlook so long as you play well and contribute.
Didn't say his value has tanked, just that teams that might have been otherwise interested are now less likely to be simply because they don't want the negative publicity or headaches associated. Like the Flames for example, who in the past showed interest in quote unquote dickheads like DeAngelo or Virtanen but ultimately passed because of said baggage.

That being said, there are obviously still a fair number of GM's like Ken Holland & Doug Armstrong who don't care about the optics at all.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad