Dreger: Flyers taking calls on Ivan Provorov

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
No, it is an issue. It generated controversy and reached national news (COUGH) outlets. It is an inevitable consideration for teams because they have to account for their locker room, their fanbase, and their partnerships. A lot of people were upset with the situation and inevitably some members of their fanbase will be if they acquire him. How large that group is probably varies by team, as does whether it would have any financial impact (it likely wouldn't). There are also community partnerships they've made that might be soured by the acquisition of a player that, whether he meant to or not, became the face of a certain stance within the league. These are big businesses, and they have a lot to consider, so anyone with a reputation/stigma/controversy attached is a calculation.
We'd welcome him in Detroit with open arms

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
He would be the perfect fit in Tampa. Just sayin'.

giphy.gif

Give us a call when you have some picks again.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I don't think it would take much to get Provorov. As someone mentioned earlier, the Flyers management has no clue what they want to do. They want to contend, then they want to get younger, whatever.

Based on the everpresent ineptitude of the Flyers, as long as you throw in a bad contract or a player to whom Flyers can give a bad contract, you can make it happen (see the Ristolainen trade).

Can anyone name a Flyers trade where Fletcher actually won the trade? Maybe he has, I just can't think of any. Maybe trading Braun to the NYR for a 3rd. At least that is a break even.

Reactions: captainpaxil

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
The Canucks have signaled they don't give a damn about the long term but want a shot soon.

I could see them giving this year's top 10 first + another first in 2025 for Provorov and the Flyers take back Myers.
Good to see you aren't confining your mania to just threads directly about our team.

How about this. I will bet you a thousand dollars the Canucks won't trade their own first this year.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think it would take much to get Provorov. As someone mentioned earlier, the Flyers management has no clue what they want to do. They want to contend, then they want to get younger, whatever.

Based on the everpresent ineptitude of the Flyers, as long as you throw in a bad contract or a player to whom Flyers can give a bad contract, you can make it happen (see the Ristolainen trade).

Can anyone name a Flyers trade where Fletcher actually won the trade? Maybe he has, I just can't think of any. Maybe trading Braun to the NYR for a 3rd. At least that is a break even.
Gudas for Niskanen was a good deal, in and of itself. Had Niskanen not retired (which nobody foresaw at the time), Fletcher's tenure would have been very different. Also, Braun for a 3rd and Brassard for a 4th were reasonable value in and of themselves; they don't seem good because they weren't enough. They were a small step when we needed a bold move.

Fletcher is fine when working the margins. The problem is you can't win if the only thing you do well is work the margins. He needs to do the big things right, and he never does.

Reactions: Pantokrator

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Rather have Provorov in LA than what they just did
still have room to add him. He would stack our left side this year and be around for three cup runs. To me he is not a high end guy but one hell of a second pairing guy that would also look good beside DD

Pros: 26 year old, left defense, two way player, assistant captain, decent size
Cons: high salary, the whole jersey thing blowback, didn't develop as good as expected

Blake wont trade another #1 as he traded the #1 the previous 2 years. Would have to be a hockey trade. Byfield and Clarke are obviously not being traded. What does that leave?

Decent to Higher end prospects

Turcotte
Bjornfot
Pinelli
Helenius
Fagemo
Chromiak
Grans
Spence

Roster Overflow

Durzi
Walker
Anderson-Dolan
Kupari
Iafallo
Grundstrom

Would Philly do a combo?

Durzi, Grans and a 2nd? , Durzi, Bjornfot, Anderson-Dolan? Turcotte, Walker, 2nd? Mix and match day

I todays market Durzi has to be worth a 1st plus, and we have some decent prospects others may covet?

Thoughts

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
still have room to add him. He would stack our left side this year and be around for three cup runs. To me he is not a high end guy but one hell of a second pairing guy that would also look good beside DD

Cons: high salary, the whole jersey thing blowback, didn't develop as good as expected

Blake wont trade another #1 as he traded the #1 the previous 2 years. Would have to be a hockey trade. Byfield and Clarke are obviously not being traded. What does that leave?

Turcotte
Bjornfot
Pinelli
Helenius
Fagemo
Chromiak
Grans
Spence

Roster Overflow

Durzi
Walker
Anderson-Dolan
Kupari
Iafallo
Grundstrom

Would Philly do a combo?

Durzi, Grans and a 2nd? , Durzi, Bjornfot, Anderson-Dolan? Turcotte, Walker, 2nd? Mix and match day

I todays market Durzi has to be worth a 1st plus, and we have some decent prospects others may covet?

Thoughts
I don't think the flyers would do it, and I don't think the kings are in a place to not pick till round 3.

If the flyers would do a Durzi, Turcotte, Walker I would be all for it, but don't think i have every seen a deal like that, picks are always part of the equation .

Reactions: funky

10YearsAfter

Feb 11, 2014
Connecticut

Turcotte
Bjornfot
Pinelli
Helenius
Fagemo
Chromiak
Grans
Spence

Roster Overflow

Durzi
Walker
Anderson-Dolan
Kupari
Iafallo
Grundstrom

Would Philly do a combo?

Thoughts
Dream on! Cuck Fletcher IS NOT in charge of player trades anymore, he's just a figurehead. TORTS is and he loves Provy. This is non-sense

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Dream on! Cuck Fletcher IS NOT in charge of player trades anymore, he's just a figurehead. TORTS is and he loves Provy. This is non-sense
Sorry. I was under the impression Flyers fans were wanting Prov’s gone. Well at least the 2 Flyers fans in our office. Now I that I know better I have better reasons to call them idiots.

The guy I like is Seeler, but so do they.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Sorry. I was under the impression Flyers fans were wanting Prov’s gone. Well at least the 2 Flyers fans in our office. Now I that I know better I have better reasons to call them idiots.

The guy I like is Seeler, but so do they.
Philly fans do not want him gone and people need to let go of the pride stuff in dealing hockey players.
Didnt the whole NYR team refused to go on with same type of « celebration »?

but almost all Philly players are available if price would help with rebuild.
LA has more than enough niece pieces (your list) to make a deal without a first being a must.

offer would likely need to include c and rd young guys.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Smart Flyer fans do want him gone. His last strong regular season happened before Covid-19, the team is not doing anything in the next two years, and then he's going to want an 8 x $8m+ extension.

:biglaugh:

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Gudas for Niskanen was a good deal, in and of itself. Had Niskanen not retired (which nobody foresaw at the time), Fletcher's tenure would have been very different. Also, Braun for a 3rd and Brassard for a 4th were reasonable value in and of themselves; they don't seem good because they weren't enough. They were a small step when we needed a bold move.

Fletcher is fine when working the margins. The problem is you can't win if the only thing you do well is work the margins. He needs to do the big things right, and he never does.
I forgot about Niskanen! I hated that deal so much when he made it, but you are right, that was an excellent trade. Niskanen was far better than I anticipated and he really helped the team.

Reactions: ponder719

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad