Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign Garnet Hathaway, 2 x 2.375m

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Everyone's worried about Hathaway taking a roster spot on a bottom six role and most likely a 4 line role. I'm not concerned, he has a function and will be fun to watch. The idea that he's blocking a rising young soon to be 4th liner is a joke. You don't put Bobby Brink on the 4th line and hope he develops into a scorer, while playing a checking role.
An opening night lineup like this is very likely if everyone's healthy. Brink, Foerster, Lyscksell, Desnoyers and Wisdom all in Allentown getting "coached" by Lappy.

Farabee-Couturier-Konecny
Tippett-Cates-Atkinson
Laughton-Frost-Hathaway
Deslaurier-Poehling-Allison
Laczynski

Last edited:

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
St. Louis had 19 year old Robert Thomas on their 4th line for half the 2019 play-offs... rookie, high skilled forward, marked out as a future 1st line forward.

Tampa had 24 year old Carter Verhaege on their 4th line for the 2020 play-offs... a guy who a year later was a 1st line forward.

The year after? Their 4C was their ex 1st line C... Tyler Johnson.

Sooo... yeh...
I'll take "Things the Flyers Will Never Do" for $500 Alex

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Am opening night lineup like this is very likely if everyone's healthy. Brink, Foerster, Lyscksell, Desnoyers and Wisdom all in Allentown getting "coached" by Lappy.

Tippett-Cates-Atkinson
Laughton-Frost-Hathaway
Laczynski

3Rz5Xi0.gif

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Am opening night lineup like this is very likely if everyone's healthy. Brink, Foerster, Lyscksell, Desnoyers and Wisdom all in Allentown getting "coached" by Lappy.

Tippett-Cates-Atkinson
Laughton-Frost-Hathaway
Laczynski
That would be quite the disappointment. I would be happy if Couturier could play first-line minutes, but having zero new prospects on the team and saddling Frost with Laughton and Hathaway is a real waste of a "rebuilding" year.

My nickname proposal for the fourth line:
Leftovers
I like it, and will counter with Des LOLiers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
St. Louis had 19 year old Robert Thomas on their 4th line for half the 2019 play-offs... rookie, high skilled forward, marked out as a future 1st line forward.

Tampa had 24 year old Carter Verhaege on their 4th line for the 2020 play-offs... a guy who a year later was a 1st line forward.

The year after? Their 4C was their ex 1st line C... Tyler Johnson.

Sooo... yeh...
So yeah, you gonna compare Lycksell to those guys?
You think Avon at 20 is going to break into the lineup?
Verhaeghe was well marinated in the AHL, when he came up he was NHL ready.

Next year when Gauthier shows up, you think he's going to be blocked by Laughton?
The guys who get blocked are marginal players who aren't good enough to force their way into the lineup.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Next year when Gauthier shows up, you think he's going to be blocked by Laughton?
The guys who get blocked are marginal players who aren't good enough to force their way into the lineup.

They are better than the players blocking them and yet never get preferred.

Anyway, the cumulative cap space for Hathaway/Staal/Poehling is even less space to use for cap dumps in exchange for picks.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009

I would give your opinion some credence if there was some shred of developmental strategy through the Phantoms to the Flyers, dead.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
It doesn't even matter if they're better than the players that are blocking them. The process of never ending preferring and requiring the veteran slop at the bottom of the lineup is so god damn tiring.

Would you rather have a player that you know is shit or a player that might be shit but you don't know yet?

Now we've asked that exact question during times where this organization was attempting to compete so now let's ask it again during a period that the team is "rebuilding."

WHAT IS THE GOD DAMN POINT OF PLAYING THESE JABRONIS?

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Briere so far has

-assumed Michkov was not hoping to be drafted by the Flyers
-assumed Hathaway was signing elsewhere
-assumed "a player like Staal" would not want to sign here.

This guy might hate the Flyers more than us :laugh:

It's absolutely PR strategy. "I thought X thing wasn't going to go our way, but gee willikers, people just really want to be Flyers. Must have something to do with the culture we're instituting here under my watch."

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
I would give your opinion some credence if there was some shred of developmental strategy through the Phantoms to the Flyers, dead.

Yea its annoying. Having our AHL team run the same or at least similar sytem as the big club makes too much sense for this team. If we had even a decent AHL situation, I really wouldn't mind most of the kids playing most of their time there. Let them get the big minutes and develop chemistry on and off ice. I also think there's value in not being part of what should hopefully be Losefest '24 and it also keeps them away from TORTS. But it's the Flyers so we get Lappy.

Last edited:

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Yea its annoying. Having our AHL team run the same or at least similar sytem as the big club makes too much sense for this team. If we had even a decent AHL situation, I really wouldn't mind most of the kids playing most of their time there. Let them get the big minutes and develop chemistry on and off ice. I also think there's value in not being part of what should hopefully be Loosefest '24 and it also keeps them away from TORTS. But it's the Flyers so we get Lappy.
Agreed. I would also be good with a bit of a Ms. Frizzle approach; i.e., take chances, get messy. The Phantoms are first and foremost a development league. Put the players, at least the young ones with upside, in all situations so they can grow into their games.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Agreed. I would also be good with a bit of a Ms. Frizzle approach; i.e., take chances, get messy. The Phantoms are first and foremost a development league. Put the players, at least the young ones with upside, in all situations so they can grow into their games.
They do, but it's a balance, one reason they added Anisimov is he helped the development of his wings.
Desnoyers started the season in the bottom six and worked his way up to the top six and a 23 goal season.
One reason to add solid AHL veterans is to give kids out of the CHL some teammates with a clue.

If Staal signed with the Flyers to get a head start on a coaching career, it wouldn't shock me if he ended up with the Phantoms as essentially a player/coach.

Hathaway is different, he's a real player, he probably came here b/c the Flyers overpaid a tad, similar to Chicago's FAs this summer.
This is probably his last decent contract ($3M after taxes is a nice retirement fund), but wouldn't surprise me if both parties discussed the possiblity of a TDL trade

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
They do, but it's a balance, one reason they added Anisimov is he helped the development of his wings.
Desnoyers started the season in the bottom six and worked his way up to the top six and a 23 goal season.
One reason to add solid AHL veterans is to give kids out of the CHL some teammates with a clue.

If Staal signed with the Flyers to get a head start on a coaching career, it wouldn't shock me if he ended up with the Phantoms as essentially a player/coach.

Hathaway is different, he's a real player, he probably came here b/c the Flyers overpaid a tad, similar to Chicago's FAs this summer.
This is probably his last decent contract ($3M after taxes is a nice retirement fund), but wouldn't surprise me if both parties discussed the possiblity of a TDL trade
Thanks for your reply, dead. Of course it is a balance, although I am pretty sure I lean more on the side of the prospects than the FO. I agree with your assertion that players should come out of the AHL with well-rounded skill sets, to which I will add maximizing their top skills and improving the lesser ones. And with the Phantoms so close to Philadelphia, there is no reason to not keep a steady stream of prospects to get their feet wet in the NHL.

Your speculation about Staal is interesting and he would definitely not be in the ex-Flyer mold. It comes down to both his willingness and his aptitude to coaching.

Re: Hathaway I would be disappointed if the conversation didn't turn to the TDL in the first 5 minutes. Swapping him for a good draft pick is the only sensible outcome. Otherwise, the notion of a true rebuild is smoke and mirrors.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Garnet is 6.5-7.5 on the hardness scale

As a big rock nerd, please don't disrespect Moh's Scale by relating a beautiful mineral with all of Hathaway's impurities and imperfections just because they share the same name. Hathaway sucks. The mineral is awesome. The gemstone is very pretty and holds great value. Hathaway is ugly and holds little to less value. JAG.

He comes to the roster deeply flawed and bringing little to no worth. He is not of gemstone quality (which are rare), he is the common type - deeply flawed and imbued with imperfections. Perfect for a 4th line role (but completely obsolete on this Flyers team). Garnet is the type of player you can find littered all across the NHL, most notably, within your own franchise's pipelines as he does not bring any unique abilities the average NHLer lacks. Coincidentally enough, the mineral is very common and found dispersed in many different types of rock formations across Earth that any Joe-Shmoe can find on a walkabout.

If the Flyers/Torts are unable to grind him into a fine powder and use his abrasiveness effectively (wooo! BSB so gritty) then this garnet is truly dull and holds little value so the Flyers need to move on from him by this year's deadline, or sooner.

I love that they overpaid his salary, too. Like a desperate merchant overpaying for common goods simply because they don't want to search elsewhere for a better deal or look from within to see what resources are already available.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Briere so far has

-assumed Michkov was not hoping to be drafted by the Flyers
-assumed Hathaway was signing elsewhere
-assumed "a player like Staal" would not want to sign here.

This guy might hate the Flyers more than us :laugh:

He learned from the very best Cuck there ever was.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad