Flyers pull goalie approximately 1 minute after being eliminated, gift Caps playoff spot

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Detroit should have not waited until 2 seconds in game to tie it, maybe try having the lead earlier, then It doesn’t matter to Philly.
Having fun reading all the whining, against Flyers.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Everyone knew every scenarios possible before the start of that evening's games. They knew they had to watch Detroit's game for results, because it had big impact on their decisions (i.e. pulling the goalie). It's not rocket science here. The scenarios were all laid out in advance. It was not a last minute thing.

They have multiple assistants behind the bench and in the backrooms, and they can communicate with the earpiece. Before the pulling the goalie, they had to check on Detroit's game.

This is the NHL, not some house league. They have means.
Salty, salty tears is all I see here.

It has been explained at length to you and other Wings fans numerous times, and in many different ways but I suppose it is pretty tough to read things properly when tears are dripping onto the screen.

There is no conspiracy and the Wings have no one to blame but themselves for how it all played out. I’m sure once your emotions settle a little you will be better able to understand.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
The crying from Wings fans in this thread is both embarrassing and absurd. If you are Torts, and you know your team needs a regulation win to have any chance of making the playoffs no matter what happens in other games, do you a) focus on the critical game your team is playing and block out all external distractions, or b) demand to be updated immediately whenever the score of another game changes, regardless of the fact that it has absolutely no impact on what your team needs to do and therefore provides precisely zero benefit to your decision-making? Use your brains, people.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
The crying from Wings fans in this thread is both embarrassing and absurd. If you are Torts, and you know your team needs a regulation win to have any chance of making the playoffs no matter what happens in other games, do you a) focus on the critical game your team is playing and block out all external distractions, or b) demand to be updated immediately whenever the score of another game changes, regardless of the fact that it has absolutely no impact on what your team needs to do and therefore provides precisely zero benefit to your decision-making? Use your brains, people.
Yep. And even when formally eliminated, why take the wind out of your team's sails only a few minutes before you need to? From the Flyers' bench perspective they're fighting until the end, why would you pull the rug out with 2 minutes left and go "none of this matters anymore, we're done"?

You fight and battle and even if it ultimately comes up short, at least you did it and didn't cave. It's like fighting to the last man on a battlefield, surrender is a wuss move and anyone advocating for that course of action is a loser (and just so their favored team could have a better result to boot)

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

GreatSaveEssensa

Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
They have video guys that are keeping tabs on what's going on in other games. This is 2024, you don't need to wait to see a box score to find out the result of a game.

With the importance of the Red Wings game to the Flyers hopes, I'm pretty sure that somebody on the Flyers staff knew the result immediately
I'd bet anything that they knew that the Wings got the point and that Tortorella like the stubborn man he is stuck to the plan regardless, with a little side dish of screwing the hated Pens in the process.
So what happens if the Wings late goal gets reviewed for whatever reason, and called back ? Meanwhile Philly doesn't pull their goalie, thinking its all over for them, only to find out the Detroit goal didnt count and Philly is now out without even so much as making an attempt to win the game in regulation. Torts would look pretty stupid then hey? Like others have said many times, Torts was worried only about HIS team and accomplishing what they HAD to do in order to keep their playoff hopes alive.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Why is this so hard to understand: The Flyers/Tortorella didn't know that until after the first empty net goal was scored. After that they pulled the goalie again, but that actually f***s Washington more than anyone else since Washington is now sitting on a regulation win and Philly is already eliminated.

So even if we accept (for some stupid reason) that Tortorella did this in error or out of spite, he also turned around and did it again to give the Wings a chance they wouldn't have had if the Flyers just packed it up after the 2-1 goal. If the Caps get taken to OT/SO then lose they wouldn't be in (far as I can tell), so Tortorella pulling the goalie down 2-1 is basically only to win the last game of the season and spoil the Caps' chances with the Flyers already out.

tl;dr even if you want to be mad about Tortorella pulling the goalie while tied you also have to recognize that pulling it while they're down only helps other teams, not Washington. He's paid to win his team's games, not help you with the results of yours.
but they were mathematically eliminated when he decided to pull the goalie.

I dont believe for a second "that Torterella didnt know what was going on in the Wings game". thats absolute bullshit. During the Wings game, someone was informing Lalonde and the team about the Flyers/Caps game, so why wouldnt someone be doing the same for Philly about the Detroit game?

Last edited:

GreatSaveEssensa

Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Yep. And even when formally eliminated, why take the wind out of your team's sails only a few minutes before you need to? From the Flyers' bench perspective they're fighting until the end, why would you pull the rug out with 2 minutes left and go "none of this matters anymore, we're done"?

You fight and battle and even if it ultimately comes up short, at least you did it and didn't cave. It's like fighting to the last man on a battlefield, surrender is a wuss move and anyone advocating for that course of action is a loser (and just so their favored team could have a better result to boot)
Or a Red Wings fan…

• Haha
Reactions: Amorgus and HTFN

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

I dont believe for. second "that Torterealla didnt know what ws going on in the Wings game". thats absolute bullshit. During the Wings game, someone was informing Lalonde and the team about the Flyers/Caps game, so why wouldnt someone be doing the same for Philly about the Detroit game?
I'm going to walk you through this in slow motion:

Tortorella maybe had a full minute (and that's debated right now), but with goal review it's not guaranteed. His only logical course of action was to keep doing what he was doing.

The Wings and Lalonde went to OT, had time to check scores and be informed as a group, then went to the shootout and had another break to be informed. If this was really back to back (and it was) then of course they'd learn about the Caps game before going to OT proper.

Comparing those breaks to continuous play in the Caps-Flyers game and pretending that Tortorella should have done anything different is f***ing stupid. Even if he knew, nothing about his reality or how he's coaching his team needs to change. He's getting his guys to battle for 60 minutes, that's the way it should be.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
As a Red Wings fan this team ultimately gave up control of their own destiny. They played the capitals twice in the last month and picked up 1 point. They lost 2 games to the coyotes. There are several other examples including the losing streak after Larkin was injured.

Still, this is absolutely the lames playoff elimination of all time. Just a gut punch. Especially considering this team won more games than the Capitals.

(Also, Cool seeing Flyers fans in here taking some kind of victory lap :laugh:)

Reactions: Summer Rose
Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Tortorella maybe had a full minute (and that's debated right now), but with goal review it's not guaranteed. His only logical course of action was to keep doing what he was doing.

The Wings and Lalonde went to OT, had time to check scores and be informed as a group, then went to the shootout and had another break to be informed. If this was really back to back (and it was) then of course they'd learn about the Caps game before going to OT proper.

Comparing those breaks to continuous play in the Caps-Flyers game and pretending that Tortorella should have done anything different is f***ing stupid. Even if he knew, nothing about his reality or how he's coaching his team needs to change. He's getting his guys to battle for 60 minutes, that's the way it should be.
wrong

it was AT LEAST 2 and a half minutes. I was watching both games, so youre flat out wrong

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
score earlier in the third lol, instead of leaving it to 2 seconds in the game left, to even give yourself a remote chance.
what does that have to do with anything? If the Wings were winning 9-0, Tortellini was still gonna pull the goalie in a tied game.

just look at the above post from that Capitals fan; he just said that "Philly would stick to their gameplan at all costs", so why does our game affect his decision if we scored earlier in the game?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

I was watching the Red Wings game and had time to switch my feed and watch a minute or so of play in the flyers game with the Flyers goalie in the net.

That said (and coming from a Red Wings fan) the only recipe for the Flyers making the playoffs involved a Regulation win so they were well within their own game theory to "pull the goalie/go for the regulation win and let the rest of the chips fall where they may."

Unfortunately that doesn't make getting eliminated in this fashion any less of a gut punch.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I was watching the Red Wings game and had time to switch my feed and watch a minute or so of play in the flyers game with the Flyers goalie in the net.

That said (and coming from a Red Wings fan) the only recipe for the Flyers making the playoffs involved a Regulation win so they were well within their own game theory to "pull the goalie/go for the regulation win and let the rest of the chips fall where they may."

Unfortunately that doesn't make getting eliminated in this fashion any less of a gut punch.
Nothing wrong with that at all, it's just this weird idea that Tortorella should have just... not tried specifically because it would have done other teams a favor. It's like saying the Red Wings shouldn't have tried to make their shootout chances because they're already out of the playoffs and the home crowd could really use a win.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
what does that have to do with anything? If the Wings were winning 9-0, Tortellini was still gonna pull the goalie in a tied game.

just look at the above post from that Capitals fan; he just said that "Philly would stick to their gameplan at all costs", so why does our game affect his decision if we scored earlier in the game?
If winning 9-0 or 2-1, whatever Torts does has zero bearing, Philly would be out.
Stop being obtuse.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
If Tortorella knew he's not just going to announce to the entire bench "It's over now, just give up". They needed a regulation win, so stick with the game plan. Detroit sealed their fate just like Philly did by having a long losing streak towards the end of the season. It's a bonus that Philly took Pittsburgh with them.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

I dont believe for. second "that Torterealla didnt know what ws going on in the Wings game". thats absolute bullshit. During the Wings game, someone was informing Lalonde and the team about the Flyers/Caps game, so why wouldnt someone be doing the same for Philly about the Detroit game?
As numerous people have repeatedly told you, Torts was focused on what HIS team had to do to make the playoffs - a task on which the Detroit game had absolutely zero impact. Why should he have cared what the score of that game was until after his team accomplished what it had to do? Unless and until the Flyers won in regulation the Detroit game was completely irrelevant to them.

And as the post directly above yours points out, even if he had been informed immediately when the goal in that game was scored, what was Torts realistically supposed to have done with that information? Are you really saying that he should have shut his team down and stopped trying to do the one thing they knew they had to do to have any chance of making the playoffs, despite there being no benefit to them in doing so, and the potential for catastrophe should the Detroit goal get called back?

Although as others have also said, at this point I almost hope Torts did it intentionally to spite Detroit. You lot deserve it.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
If winning 9-0 or 2-1, whatever Torts does has zero bearing, Philly would be out.
Stop being obtuse.
but Philly was mathematically "out" when he pulled the goalie..

so now it just comes down to what people want to believe. I know FOR A FACT Philly was mathematically out when Torterella pulled. Now did Torterella know? According to his post-game presser he didnt; but I dont believe him. He's always been a greaseball of a guy, so yeah, maybe I'm just speaking out of emotions here, but I truly do believe he knew the Flyers were toast, and just decided to pull anyways.

No sense in going back and forth here, obviously as a Wings fan I'm just pissed because we get the short end of the stick here. It's been tough watching 95% of the games over the last 8 years, and havent had a single playoff game to watch. And yes, had the Wings not completely collapsed in February, none of this would even matter, so yes, the Wings should have played better hockey. It's just a gut-wrenching way to miss the playoffs, and had any of the other 31 teams missed this way, they'd be sour too.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Maybe the Wings shouldn’t have trailed all game to the lowly Canadiens for the second time in two days

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
you are mssing the point though, when they pulled their goalie, the Flyers were already mathematically eliminated from the playoffs due to Detroit going to OT

why is this so hard to understand?
But the Flyers didn’t know it.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
but Philly was mathematically "out" when he pulled the goalie..

so now it just comes down to what people want to believe. I know FOR A FACT Philly was mathematically out when Torterella pulled. Now did Torterella know? According to his post-game presser he didnt; but I dont believe him. He's always been a greaseball of a guy, so yeah, maybe I'm just speaking out of emotions here, but I truly do believe he knew the Flyers were toast, and just decided to pull anyways.

No sense in going back and forth here, obviously as a Wings fan I'm just pissed because we get the short end of the stick here. It's been tough watching 95% of the games over the last 8 years, and havent had a single playoff game to watch. And yes, had the Wings not completely collapsed in February, none of this would even matter, so yes, the Wings should have played better hockey. It's just a gut-wrenching way to miss the playoffs, and had any of the other 31 teams missed this way, they'd be sour too.
I get your emotions but why would Torts throw his teams home finale just to f*** over the Red Wings? I don't see any reason for that.

I think you have to see it from their perspective. If there's any chance, you have to go for it. But it's not like Torts is there in the last 5 minutes asking for every second update on whether he should pull the goalie or not. That's dangerous business, imagine if Detroit tied it up with 1 minute left, you don't pull the goalie because of it, and then the Habs score with a few seconds left in regulation.

Like if I'm in that position going into those last 5 minutes knowing Montreal is leading. I'm committing to my game plan and don't even want to know what's going on over there anymore. Then see where the chips fall.

what does this have to do with anything?
I think he's saying if Detroit had the game in the bag going into the third, Torts would've never pulled the goalie and try to win the game in OT for the fans at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad