Speculation: Flyers next coach?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Timonen said that his name’s been mentioned for defensive coach and would be ready to do it for cheap as he’s never coached.

Which is why it's probably not a good idea.
Let him learn on the job in LHV, then move to Philly in a couple years.
As great as he was as a player, teaching is not innate, experience (some) does matter.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The point is that you don't continue in a toxic and failed procedure just because practice time is short. That's a feeble excuse. Even Dave Scott realized that and Fletcher couldn't, which really demonstrates how pathetic and stupid Fletcher is; indications are that Fletcher was completely unprepared to fire AV at any point in the near future. He's in completely over his head and always has been. If not for daddy he never gets the jobs he did. He's devoid of merit.

No, you want to make a clean break and give the new HC an opportunity to make changes and take ownership of the rest of the season. Let AV suffer through the bad stretch and give the new HC a fighting chance.

It's not like the playoffs are still in reach, even is Sam is smokin' the good stuff.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No, you want to make a clean break and give the new HC an opportunity to make changes and take ownership of the rest of the season. Let AV suffer through the bad stretch and give the new HC a fighting chance.

It's not like the playoffs are still in reach, even is Sam is smokin' the good stuff.

New HC? We have an interim and plenty of time.

You fire the failed coach and get that poison out of the system immediately. You don't need to wait until the next perfect candidate is lined up.

You're saying goofy things to defend a bad process stemming from a bad GM who has done a bad job everywhere he's ever worked.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
I see Grönborgs name popping up a lot but I think quite a few swedes have said he isn't very good with young players and is relying on veterans. I really don't know but I have read something like that multiple times.

If so I'd like to stay far away from him. Hak and AV PTSD is too strong on that regard.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fletcher was OK in Minnesota, winning a SC or even getting to the finals requires a lot of things going right and a bit of luck (see Lavi in 2009-10, when he did such a bad job as a HC, 28-24-5, when he took over they never should have made the playoffs).

He wasn't great, but they made the playoffs six straight seasons, 3 years of 100+ points, got to the 2nd rd twice, and the players he left behind are the core of a team that has made the playoffs twice since they fired Fenton. That's a heck of a lot better than Hextall did here.

He's drafting as good or better than Hextall. York, Brink, Foerster, Desnoyers, Wisdom, even found a UDFA in Avon.
The Risto trade was his one bad move, you can throw Ghost and Voracek at me ad nausem and I'll just yawn. Along with JVR, the players that needed to be moved out at some point.

Now his test will be the TDL and this summer, it's his team, can he reload?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Fletcher was OK in Minnesota, winning a SC or even getting to the finals requires a lot of things going right and a bit of luck (see Lavi in 2009-10, when he did such a bad job as a HC, 28-24-5, when he took over they never should have made the playoffs).

He wasn't great, but they made the playoffs six straight seasons, 3 years of 100+ points, got to the 2nd rd twice, and the players he left behind are the core of a team that has made the playoffs twice since they fired Fenton. That's a heck of a lot better than Hextall did here.

He's drafting as good or better than Hextall. York, Brink, Foerster, Desnoyers, Wisdom, even found a UDFA in Avon.
The Risto trade was his one bad move, you can throw Ghost and Voracek at me ad nausem and I'll just yawn. Along with JVR, the players that needed to be moved out at some point.

Now his test will be the TDL and this summer, it's his team, can he reload?

He was bad. The Wild would be in vastly better shape now if they'd fired him in 2010.

Nizzle

no hope, no future, no second chance
May 13, 2009
Which is why it's probably not a good idea.
Let him learn on the job in LHV, then move to Philly in a couple years.
As great as he was as a player, teaching is not innate, experience (some) does matter.
I agree. He wasn’t seriously considering it and didn’t think he is seriously considered by the organization either.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Timonen said that his name’s been mentioned for defensive coach and would be ready to do it for cheap as he’s never coached.
There are some vomit inducing names on the list in the first post of this thread.
If Kimo would come in and take the HC job, Fletcher should be all over that. So he hasn't been a coach before. Big deal. I trust him to be able to figure things out pretty quickly and to load up with a competent staff to help along the way. It isn't a if AV/Therrien screamed competence. Kimo is ideal. A Euro who understands the NA game as well as anyone. Then hire Briere as GM.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I just saw a video on Facebook from TNT Faceoff where they said there was an empty seat because Rick Tocchet got a phone call, he smiled and left. Uh oh...

I think Comcast is considering Tocchet, but Tocchet's got a good gig now and as a head coach, he'd want certain things (which might be who the GM is ), his own coaching staff. And there are other teams that will be needing a head coach before next year. He's in the driver's seat. The Flyers need a true rebuild, not another recycle. Tocchet might not want a team who is that many years out.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why would the Flyers want Tocchet? What has he done to make them think he's the one to preside over a re-load?

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I'm at the point where I want them to blow it up big time and take swings at the fences like Vegas did.

I would love to watch the type of hockey Tampa, Colorado and Vegas play. Teams that almost never dump the puck in, but retain it, cycle it through line changes and go again. Always entering the zone with actual posession. Just like the old Scotty Bowman teams.

Just give us a coach and a GM that can give us this. I don't really care what it takes anymore.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I'd want a guy like Kimo because he knows the game.
Why?

I don't think people really understand the difference between coaching and playing. There is no relevance between being s smart player on the ice and being a good coach off it.

Some of the best coaches in the world are essentially failed professionals.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad