Speculation: Flyers next coach?

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
So who's out there right now? Who's the best fit?

Some names (probably missing alot):

Rick Tocchet
Mike Babcock
Benoit Groulx
Travis Green
David Quinn
John Tortorella
Jim Montgomery
John Stevens
Marc Crawford
Guy Boucher

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
kid-thinking.gif

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
So who's out there right now? Who's the best fit?

Some names (probably missing alot):

Rick Tocchet
Mike Babcock
Benoit Groulx
Travis Green
David Quinn
John Tortorella
Jim Montgomery
John Stevens
Marc Crawford
Guy Boucher
I feel for you guys, your GM kind of screwed up. He should have seaeched for a coach and hired Boudreau. Now the pickings are slim and I think the best out of those pile of coaches in probably Mike Babcock and after that Julien. Would not touch Green with 100 foot pole. He is just an average AHL coach

Reactions: Rebels57

Nizzle

no hope, no future, no second chance
May 13, 2009
It won't happen and that's probably a good thing but Jukka Jalonen wants to coach in the NHL, so he's available. I could see, for example, Columbus hiring him in the future (but not as a HC straight away) because their GM is Finnish too and that's just how hockey works.

Googled a bit and found this: The Blue Jackets Are Considering Jukka Jalonen As Next Head Coach
In an interview on Monday, Jarmo Kekalainen confirmed that the club is considering Jukka Jalonen as a candidate for the head coaching vacancy.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
What's John LeClair or Simon Gagne doing. If they are keeping in the family let's bring one of those guys back!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I feel for you guys, your GM kind of screwed up. He should have seaeched for a coach and hired Boudreau. Now the pickings are slim and I think the best out of those pile of coaches in probably Mike Babcock and after that Julien. Would not touch Green with 100 foot pole. He is just an average AHL coach

Fletcher had Boudreau and Yeo in Minnesota.
If he thought Boudreau was the answer he'd have reached out.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
For a more serious take, I want to look at a) someone with fire to be the public face of the organization, b) someone with a clue to handle hockey ops, and c) someone with upside as HC. We want to model ourselves after Tampa? Why not try hiring away Jeff Halpern? He's been on Cooper's staff for several years, including both Cup years, he's crucially not part of the Flyers' old boys network, I think it could work. Of course, none of this works without replacing Chuck, and I have no idea who the up and coming GM candidates are, other than Tulsky and Scott Mellanby, but we need to go outside the box. (The one potential exception to the "don't hire former Flyers" thing I mentioned above, for me, is Mellanby. I know he played for us for a few years, but I think he's been outside our circle for long enough that he'd come in with a fresh perspective.)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Huh ??

He had zero intentions of firing AV, why would he reach out ?

He had zero intentions of firing AV BEFORE this stretch of games were over, probably because as we're seeing, a new HC would have no practice time for a week to implement any changes - so what was the point?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He had zero intentions of firing AV BEFORE this stretch of games were over, probably because as we're seeing, a new HC would have no practice time for a week to implement any changes - so what was the point?

The point is that you don't continue in a toxic and failed procedure just because practice time is short. That's a feeble excuse. Even Dave Scott realized that and Fletcher couldn't, which really demonstrates how pathetic and stupid Fletcher is; indications are that Fletcher was completely unprepared to fire AV at any point in the near future. He's in completely over his head and always has been. If not for daddy he never gets the jobs he did. He's devoid of merit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad